Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Eggoman

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings My Non-Sport Family!

While I am NOT new to card collecting, I am a relative neophyte with respect to Non-Sport cards and I am looking for a bit of your collective help.

I have recently picked up "a bunch" of lower grade T126 Plain Back State Capital cards and have been able to find out precious little about them...

I understand that they are related to the N14 set, but I have little other information other than what is in the 1999 ATC book by Forbes & Mitchell.  They list only 18 different cards currently (at that time) known.

I found VERY little when I searched the archives here regarding them.

PSA has graded only 1 card - Maine.

Ebay has only one for sale or in its completed listings -the PSA-graded Maine card.  (Assuming that I did a proper search!)

Are they THAT rare?  What might their value(s) be?  (Although if they are THAT hard to find, I realize that an auction would be the best route...)  I also realize that rare does NOT always translate to $$$.

Does ANYONE care about them?

You collective thoughts and opinions are welcome!
GregG

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Eggoman -

The same card images were used in the T126 Pinkerton & N14 Allen & Ginter tobacco card sets.  They were used for non-tobacco card sets as well I think.

With yours having a blank back I don't think you can identify them as T126s, perhaps they were cut from a N14 banner or came with another product.  Either way, given the condition you mention these cards do not have much value.

Regards,
Greg

Eggoman

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Greg:

I ALWAYS appreciate hearing from you Non-Sport Pros!

In the 1999 ATC book by Forbes & Mitchell that I mention, it DOES say that T126s can be found with "either plain or printed backs..."

Although I didn't totally disagree with you regarding value.  They DO have BLUE borders so I don't think that came from a N14 banner...  In any event, IF all cards from the T126 set have not yet been confirmed, perhaps I can do so as I have a number of them that do NOT appear in the referenced book.

Any thoughts as to why there are so few available anywhere???

My Best,
Greg
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #4 
Here's another rip off of N14 - these are catalogued as H444

img1821.jpg  img1822.jpg 

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Mark:

Those are ESPECIALLY interesting to me as I live VERY near Buffalo, NY!

Eggoman

Reply with quote  #6 
In addition, in PSA's Pop Report, they indicate that the T126s have an issue date of 1880!!

[rolleyes][eek]
teza

Reply with quote  #7 
E48 BBB Honey Kisses also shares the same images.

Greg - any advertising on the front side of your cards?

Jeff

E48 BBB HK o.jpg 

Eggoman

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey Jeff:

Thanks for the post!  Nope, NO advertising, just plain, old, plain-old!  But there are 18 listed in the Mitchell & Forbes ATC Book, and I can confirm a dozen or so more...

If interested...

Greg
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #9 
not sure they can be considered plain back T126 cards given that they don't have the advertising and that stock was used for other advertisers.  Interesting stuff though.  Can you send pictures so we can see them?

Eggoman

Reply with quote  #10 
Of course!

T126 State Caps Lot 1 F.jpg  T126 State Caps Lot 2 F.jpg  T126 State Caps Lot 3 F.jpg  T126 State Caps Lot 4 F.jpg  T126 State Caps - ALL LOTS.jpg 

forbesrs

Reply with quote  #11 
First I must say that Forbes didn't always get things right and besides his book was written over 20 years ago and he had to work with what information he had in a pre-internet world...

The line in the book regarding plain backs is now believed to be incorrect. This was actually a stock issue - same designs used by a number of companies/brands (Pinkerton (T126), BBB Honey Kisses (E48), Anchor Soda, Granger & Co (H444), etc.). The blank-backed version without any advertising on the front cannot be directly or specifically tied to Pinkerton so it cannot be considered a T126 variation. It could have just as easily been non-tobacco advertising.

Most of the titles in the book came from cards in the author's collection, which is a mix of Pinkerton backs and plain backs. Therefore, it cannot now be said that all 18 listed subjects are confirmed as T126.

My opinion is that the issue date of this series was after the N14 series, which was late 1880s, but since card grading companies are always right then who am I to say that 1880 is not correct ...

Factory numbers were mandated on tobacco advertising around 1905, so this was probably issued prior to then as there are no factory numbers on the T126's. However, there are some issues later than 1905 that don't have factory numbers so I can't say for certain.

Not being a candy & gum expert, I can't say when BBB Kisses or Anchor Soda were produced and distributed but I'd estimate that the T126's were issued around the same timeframe though that's just another guess...

As far as a T126 checklist - tough to put together because both blank-backed and Pinkerton back cards look the same on the front and often internet pictures only show the fronts. That would be an interesting project for someone else.

T126 is an odd T-series, a stock issue like the T132 Mail Carriers & Stamps (Pulliam Cigars) and the T138 Letter Carrier and Postage Stamp Cards (Basma and Adam Cigarettes). There is demand from type card collectors but not too many collectors actually pursuing the futile effort of collecting the whole series. Prices really depend on who is interested when an example comes up at auction or on eBay.

Bob

Eggoman

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey Bob:

Thanks for the education - REALLY!  I have a much better feel for what these are and/or are not and TOTALLY get what you mean about the Professional Grading Services!

That said, BEFORE these go to eBay, if you or anyone would care to make me a reasonable offer for one OR several OR ALL of these, I would be willing to listen.  I would MUCH RATHER they end up with someone(s) here as a give-back for the free-sharing of information...

Please let me know...

Like I said previously, I understand that rarity (perceived or real) does NOT always mean expensive.

Tom - if this is now more appropriately placed in the B/S/T Section, PLEASE advise!

Many Thanks,
Greg

forbesrs

Reply with quote  #13 
Greg: I sent you an email. Bob
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #14 
Greg.....since it started out as an informational thread, lets leave it here but anyone interested in the cards, contact Greg directly from his contact info.

Eggoman

Reply with quote  #15 
The cards have been sold!

THANK YOU to all who offered their knowledge and thoughts regarding these!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.