Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #1 

I’ve been able to add some rarely seen packs to the collection over the last couple months, each coming from a different source.  I hadn’t seen most of these brands previously so this has been a great thrill.  I’m starting a new thread as I’d like to invite others to share information they might have on these packs, share companion pieces they may be aware of, or list other rarely seen packs.

While I own the packs, I do not own all the posted cards, some of which I grabbed from Met and/or Todd's excellent site.  Without further ado, in no particular order . . .

S.F. Hess - Diadem

Diadem Pack - 150dpi.jpg 

This pack was received with an incorrect slide from a Kimball High Grade pack which I removed.  Hope more packs surface, perhaps complete with correct slide.  The design on the back is very similar to some of the Creole packs.

Cards Issued Include:

• N322 S.F. Hess Diadem Currency
  • N323 S.F. Hess Poker Puzzle Cards – Type B
  • N330 S.F. Hess Actress Cards w/ Diadem advertising

N322 and N323 Examples - 150dpi.jpg 

The earliest reference I can find to the Diadem brand is a 9/27/1889 Tobacco Weekly Journal entry which shows it was sold in a box of 10 and priced slightly higher than the more popular Creole brand ($4.00 vs $3.65 per thousand).  If an earlier 1888 distribution date can be established then it is possible other popular sets may have been distributed by this brand (including N333 Newsboys – one of my favorites).  Another Tobacco Weekly Journal entry mentions Diadem as follows:

April 11th, 1890 – “. . . S.F. Hess & Co. is well pleased with the increase in business since the first of the year.  The influence of the “combine” seems to favor the “Creoles” and “Diadems” immensely.”

The “combine” is in reference to the formation of the American Tobacco Company which occurred earlier that year.  The 9/27/1889 list of S.F. Hess cigarettes includes some other rare brands for which I’ve never seen a cigarette box including:

• Turkish Specials
  • Trix
  • Star and Crescent
  • Military
  • Consoler

Goodwin - Temple Bar

Temple Bar - 150dpi.jpg

Temple Bar - Slide Pivoted Outv2 - 150dpi.jpg 

The Temple Bar pack has an interesting pivoting slide.  There is a patent date of Jan. 16 1887 printed on the side of the pack (same side that has small hole that allows you to push the slide out).  I’m not aware of another example that uses this style of pivoting slide.

Cards Issued Include:

• N171 Actress w/ Temple Bar advertising

N171 Jennie Bartine - 150dpi.jpg 

Extremely rare Goodwin brand, very little is known.  I purchased this pack from fellow board member David Epps from the UK.  Per Tim Thornham (another UK board member), Temple Bar is a famous London law chambers and I wonder if this brand was for export only as Goodwin had strong presence in London.  There appears to only be two actress cards catalogued with the one shown above coming from the Burdick collection at the Met.  The Goodwin A35 round album features an advertising page that includes the Temple Bar cigarette pack.  This round album became available to the public on July 15th, 1889.

A35 Album - Temple Bar Pack Included - 50%.jpg  

Consolidated Cigarette Co. – Paxi

Paxi Cigarettes Leather Pouch - 150dpi.jpg
This leather pouch is quite different, apparently being issued after the brand launched with a more traditional slide & shell box.

Cards Issued Include:

• N352 Colored Relief Cards
  • N354 Turn Cards

The January 17th, 1890 issue of “The Tobacco Weekly Journal” shows the slide and shell design for the new cigarette with following illustration and write-up (note the common style in which “Paxi” is written on slide & shell vs the leather pouch above).

1890 01 17 - Paxi Cigarette Pack - half size.png 

“About one year since the Consolidated Cigarette Co. of New York startled the all-tobacco cigarette world by turning out what had hitherto been declared an impossibility in cigarettes.  This was a cigarette with a drawn tuck, i.e., shaped like the popular perfectos shape in cigars.”

“The new cigarette was called the Consols, and was intended to be retailed at fifteen cents per package.  The demand which has sprung up, from Maine to California, for these goods, in an incredibly short time, appears to show that the trade appreciated the novelty, and in pushing the Consols, the manufacturers discovered that a demand also existed for a first-class cigarette to be retailed at ten cents per package.  They therefore tried many and varied experiments for several months, and eventually produced the Paxi cigarette, which we illustrate upon this page.”

“The box design consists of white letters upon a plum colored ground of alligator skin pattern, and is one that will readily catch the eye and attract attention.”

I do have a Paxi Cigarros label that might suggest the shade of purple for the alligator skin.

Paxi Cigarros - 150dpi.jpg 

Cameron & Cameron – Purity

Purity - 150dpi.jpg Purity Slid Open - 150dpi.jpg 

Purity was a popular brand both in US and abroad in Australia and New Zealand.  This pack was purchased from a card collector in Australia and was nearly full with 8 of 10 cigarettes still present.  There was also an N465 actress card but cannot say with certainty that the card is original to the pack.

Cards Issued Include:

• N465 Actress Cards (variants advertising Cameron & Cameron, some specifically for Purity)
  • N462 The New Discovery and possibly many others 

N465 Purity - 150dpi.jpg 

In researching the pack I first wanted to determine when the Cameron brothers would become known as “Cameron and Cameron” with following notes collected.

• 1870s-1880s – Cameron brothers (William, George, and Alexander) operated under several names including “William Cameron & Brothers”, “William Cameron Brothers & Co.” , “Cameron Brothers & Co.”, and “Alexander Cameron & Co.”.  The brothers were quite successful; William was single largest employer in St Petersburg, VA and Alexander the largest in Richmond, VA.  William Cameron would sell to his brother George in 1886.  It doesn’t appear “Cameron & Cameron” was used anytime during the 1870s-1880s.
  • January 14th 1888 "The Tobacco Leaf" reports that Alexander & George Cameron absorb Pace & Sizer with new company being called A. & G. Cameron & Sizer.  Other sources would shorten the name to “Cameron & Sizer”, “Cameron’s & Sizer”, or “Camerons’ & Sizer”.
  • February 23rd 1890 Fire destroys “Cameron & Sizer” Bldg.
  • April 18th, 1890 Replacement bldg complete, still “Cameron & Sizer”.
  • March 11th 1891 Earliest “Cameron & Cameron” advertising I can find
  • Cameron & Cameron would remain an independent company through remainder of 1890s, not being absorbed by the ATC until 1901(?).

Purity was among the more popular brands issued by Cameron & Cameron (others including Richmond Club and Favorite Straight Cut).

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
GregG

Reply with quote  #2 
Joe - These packs/cards are amazing!!!  Very well presented and researched as usual - thank you for sharing.

I have no idea if this Pilkinton Wrapper goes with the card.  

pilkinton001.jpg

..While I'm posting... With Tim_UK & Joe and others doing and sharing all this great old tobacco card research I found myself doing some of the same.
I sure hope this wasn't already posted in one of the threads - from Jan 18 1888

The_Pittsburgh_Press_Wed__Jan_18__1888_.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #3 
Great post Joe and nice additions Greg.

Greg, your box and card from Pilkinton N569 look like a match to me.

Pilkinton back.jpg 

And I haven't seen this newspaper clipping before. The well-known clipping from July 1886 is shown below, which covers Comstock and the fact that the Cigarette Maker cards are models and not actual cigarette makers.

1886 - 16 July - annotated - baseball and cig makers.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #4 
The Goodwin Temple Bar Cigarettes seems to be very obscure. And only two known cards in N171 with that brand name (one shown above, the other is on Todd's site).

A clue about the Temple Bar cigarettes origin could be the A35 advert, which shows a header "Standard brands of the world" and a footer "New York and London". From Wikipedia, Temple Bar was an ancient entrance to London, which was moved in 1878 and replaced by a monument in 1880 (Inner Temple and Middle Temple are two of the four barrister associations of England & Wales):

Temple Bar wiki.jpg 

So maybe Temple Bar cigarettes was an overseas brand with a traditional English name. The Goodwin London office in 1888 was just off Holborn Viaduct, only 5 minutes from the original Temple Bar location.

But, despite a good search, the only reference I could find to Goodwin Temple Bar Cigarettes is in two New Zealand clippings from Christchurch in 1892, posted below. Anyone else got any clues on this rare brand?

Temple Bar - 1892 - NZ.jpg

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #5 
Great additions Greg & Tim.

So we have strong evidence of Temple Bar being offered, at a minimum, from July1889 thru at least March 1892.

A collecting friend sent me an image of a blank back advertising card for Temple Bar, embossed and designed just like the cigarette pack.

Advertising - Jay Miller v2.jpg 

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #6 
Not clear cut, but looks like a young Queen Victoria, from the 1840s. The Temple Bar memorial (1880) contains a statue of Queen Victoria, pictures below. Perhaps more evidence of an English brand or an brand for the British colonies (eg New Zealand)?

Victoria at Temple Bar 2.jpg  Victoria at Temple Bar.jpg

egbeachley

Reply with quote  #7 
Incredible stuff.

Love when packs and a card example are displayed together.

Might be a good idea for a new thread where collectors show a pack (with no card) they own and ask if other collectors have a card to match. Maybe even leading to a trade
Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #8 
Tim, I think you nailed it.  Their are many different "Young Queen Victoria" paintings, busts, sculptures, coins, and the famous penny black stamp dating to the late 1830s and 1840s.  Here are but a couple although none of them are an exact match for the Temple Bar portrait.  As Jay Miller pointed out, the portrait on the pack doesn't exactly match the advertisement either, appears Goodwin gave the Queen a nose job.

Young Queen Victoria Examples.jpg 
Here is a stunning early Young Victoria, 1849, engraved by German medalist Luther C. Lauer.

Young Victoria - 1849 - engraved by German medalist Luther C Lauer.jpg 

And Goodwin & Co. wouldn't shy away from issuing contemporary photos of the Queen, circa 1889 cabinet.

N173 Her Majesty - Queen Victoria 1 - 90dpi.jpg 

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #9 
OK, bumping an older thread to get some feedback on an early A&G wrapper for a cigarette brand called "The American".

A&G - The American Cigarette - 150dpi.jpg 

It bears a loose resemblance to "The Masher".  Tim_UK posted some images and information on this brand in another thread (copying an image below courtesy Tim & Henry).

[May%20CNN%20The%20Masher] 
Anything on "The American"?

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #10 
As George Bernard Shaw said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"

Masher definition.jpg 

I believe The Masher was only actively advertised in the UK, around 1883-1884, from newspaper searches. If a similar cigarette was sold in the USA, then, according to the definition above, the brand name would need changing - perhaps to "The American". It is clearly pre-ATC and I suspect pre-Virginia Brights/Dixie cigarettes, which appeared around 1886.

But I can't find any trace in searches, which is not helped by the standard name.

I've also attached the back of that fantastic "The Masher" Woodburytype trade card, from Cartophilic Notes & News. It contains the usual list of contemporary A&G cigarette brands (pre-VB).

Masher back.jpg 

Plus one of the early UK Adverts for "The Masher" from late 1883. I've highlighted a couple of other obscure brands, "Keritchilar" and "The Ace of Trumps". A&G must have been doing a bit of brand experimentation around this time. Another advert from the same time also includes another obscure A&G brand "Cream of Cream" cigarettes.

Masher advert.jpg 

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Tim, you may be on the right path, i.e. selling the same cigarette under two different names, "Masher" to British Empire and "The American" domestically.  I ran into the same issue trying to research "The American" cigarette as there are countless matches, none of which seem to be a real match for this research.

Hoping Henry might have some obscure reference to the brand he can share.

Speaking of rare A&G packs, I recently acquired a nice 50 count clam shell box for the brand "Sunny South".  Unlike "The American", I can find references for the "Sunny South" but surviving copies of the box today are few and far between (I'm not aware of others).  It is common to see 19th century 10 and 20 count packs but quite rare to find the elusive 50 and 100 count packs particularly with the tax stamp which is much larger than the smaller postal size used on the 10 & 20 ct packs.  This is a series of 1883 tax stamp and the box appears to be pre-ATC merger so would likely date between 1883 and 1890.  Further study of Sunny South production might narrow down the date further.  The owner of this pack spit the stamp on the sides to open the box and left the stamp on the back to serve as a hinge.  The graphics on the inside lid are the same as those found on the outside.

Sunny South 50ct - 60dpi.jpg 

Series 1883 50ct Cig Tax Stamp - 120dpi.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.