Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
teza

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi.  Does anyone know if Duke put out multiple Cameo Studies series?  I'm only aware of the baseball series of 10 (known checklist below), but have the attached "Fat Cigaretter" card that is either a checklist add (11?) or from a totally different series.  Actually pretty clever...it appears to be a play on the A&G Cigarette Making Girls series.  I posted a similar thread on the baseball side but did not get a solid answer.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Jeff

Cameo Studies Fat Cigaretter o.jpg 

Known Baseball Cameo Studies Checklist:
- Bat Rest
- Centre Field
- Dudeana Batter
- Dudeana Pitcher
- Fielder
- Got Swift Ball
- High Ball
- Lost Ball
- O, My
- Strike

Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #2 
Here's 2 shown on WorthPoint not on your checklist.  Both are baseball.  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/duke-cameo-studies-baseball-ephemera-1867747711

front.jpg  reverse.jpg 

Reply with quote  #3 
Interesting cards, this is the first time I've read the back.  Cameo went from paper cigarette packs to slide & shell box in May of 1886 and others quickly followed which suggests these cards came out in 1886, perhaps into early 1887.  In the case of the baseball subjects, these would be among the earliest baseball cards although the generic depictions and sub-par aesthetics likely diminish interest from many.   Thanks for sharing.
& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #4 
This is a really interesting post. As Joe says, the back tells the story of the mass introduction of sliding boxes for cigarette cards. It looks, from the words, that the competitors are also adopting cigarette boxes at this time, which was around late 1886 / early 1887, per snippet from the Evolution of The Cigarette Box article (this is on another VNSF thread here).

The cigarette maker series from A&G (that Jeff refers to) seems to be from around September 1886, per the newspaper snippet below (from VNSF thread here). So this date ties up too. In fact, A&G issued their ladies black stocking baseball cards at this time too. So this Cameo Studies series seems to be a comic play on their (at the time) most important and larger (I think) rival, A&G's recent card issues. This seems to be the start of the escalation towards beautifully lithographed sets of cards into cigarette boxes - with both Duke and A&G's very early efforts in late 1886 / early 1887, before they stepped up the quality levels.

I've skimmed the CSGB World Tobacco Index and CRB151 and this series doesn't seem to be recorded.

I note that Anson Whaley's great site Pre-War Cards has a nice article (here) on this series, listing the 10 cards above, which seem to come from the Frank Keetz comic baseball listings (3rd edition) and given the Burdick-style designation H804-39 by Keetz. My copy of the 1980 edition Keetz catalogue only goes to H804-23, but the 3rd edition is available on-line and I post the relevant section below. Interestingly Keetz notes that the baseball comic studies are actually of female silhouettes, clearly linking the Duke Cameo Studies set to the A&G lady baseball and cigarette maker issues from around September 1886.

Any advance on 13 known subjects (12 baseball plus one cigarette maker)?

box - 1886 take off with Duke.jpg      1886 - Sept - cig makers.jpg 
H804 39 - Cameo Studies - 1886.jpg  

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Tim, these articles fit together nicely, giving us high confidence in time of distribution with Jeff's latest find suggesting a rather complete copy of not only the A&G female baseball players but also the Cigaretter, all of which date to the same time period.  The one mystery for me is how the cards were distributed.  They don't seem to have a crease yet are rather large, 3"x4", and wouldn't fit in a pack of 10 or 20 cigarettes.  Perhaps one or more of these were placed in a cartoon/case of packs?
& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Joe,

Its not clear to me how they were distributed. Nor why they are so rare - although their thin paper stock could have contributed to more being spoilt/thrown away.

As you know, the A&G baseball ladies were available in exchange for 10 wrappers from packs of 20, or 20 wrappers from packs of 10 - per the newspaper clipping above. And the A&G cigarette makers were considered highly desirable for the 'pretty women' in the pictures - per the tale told in the below newspaper clipping from the Atlanta Constitution - added here for completeness.

I'm not sure about cigarette box dimensions, but wouldn't a 3x4 inch Cameo Studies card (plus 'patent holder') fit in a sliding box of 20 cigarettes?

I wonder if A&G threatened legal action against the 'imitation' of their cards, forcing Duke to withdraw them. Note the play on word 'imitation' on the back of the Cameo Studies cards.

I'm guessing that neither A&G nor Duke had yet worked out how to print the cards at an economical cost, in this very early period 1886/87, hence were frugal in their distribution. Even in the boom time in 1888-1890, when most of the beautiful lithography cards were produced in much larger numbers, the card printing cost was seen as an expensive necessity, to maintain market share in a highly competitive market.

Really interesting to find another element to trace the transition from the early Thos H Hall 'all-tobacco' cigarette and actress cards era to these early A&G cards and Duke in 1886/1887.

1886 - July.jpg

teza

Reply with quote  #7 
Great insights guys.

I wonder if the known baseball checklist is accurate.  Could "lost ball" be "low ball"?  Bill is very good at finding images, perhaps we could put together a visual/confirming checklist.

I'm on the fence about these being used as inserts.  As shared above, they are paper thin.  Maybe that's evidence that they were inserted as advertising only (not stiffening) because they would have been too thin be handed-out by retailers as trade cards.

I'm going to link this thread over to my original posting on the baseball side for comment.

Jeff
Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
I'm not sure about cigarette box dimensions, but wouldn't a 3x4 inch Cameo Studies card (plus 'patent holder') fit in a sliding box of 20 cigarettes?

The early 10 and 20 count Cameo boxes I've studied are 2 7/8" high but there could be an alternate taller design.  The 10 count boxes are 2 7/8" tall by 1 3/4" wide, 20 count being slightly wider and deeper but same height.

Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #9 
The only others I could find are:

Dudeana Pitcher shown on the PreWarCards website discussing the set.  https://prewarcards.com/2016/09/12/h804-39-dukes-cigarettes-cameo-studies-trade-cards-set-and-checklist/

H804-39 Dudeana Pitcher.jpg 

Dudeana Batter on a closed eBay auction.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-CAMEO-STUDIES-DUDEANA-BATTTER-DUKE-039-S-Tip-Cigarette-Smokers-Trade-Card-/303134298586?hash=item46943651da%3Ag%3APoYAAOSwVcZcvyou&nma=true&si=ou%252BkZrbrCwATAB%252FNspBr%252FpbhXCk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

H804-39 Dudeana Batter.jpg 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.