Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Jim
Reply with quote  #1 
Dan

I believe it is OK to publish a work online as long as you give credit to the author and publication. If they object and notify you of copyright infringement, then simply remove it. No damage done.
Mark Hellman
Reply with quote  #2 
...we've probably all, at one time or another, found reference on the internet to a Wrapper article with the issue number, only to find it is out of print with no back issues available. I would think that posting a copy of an article here, with attribution to Les, would be absolutely no problem since there is virtually no other way to read the article.
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #3 
I found a copy of the article about Chris Benjamin's Indian Gum premium prints....very comprehensive. I was going to post it last night, but realized there might be "an issue".

Also, would Les Davis also us to copy certain THE WRAPPER information ?

I'm sure someone here knows how the baseball forum handles posting published matters

Personally, it doesnt make much sense, as I can write longhand the information in my own words and get around the issue, but seeing the original printed material is much better.
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #4 
By the way, I think the Benjamin article says the Goudey prints are a different size than those put out by Great Northern Railroad and Glacier Nat'l Park.

I hope Hugh Jones knows the difference.
Chris Watson
Reply with quote  #5 
Dan/Tom - -

In order not to worry about any copyrights (and because I also have a great interest in learning more about these), here is what the NSB contains. Ironically, I found a type-o underneath the image - - hah! Also, I have a color version of Dan's print somewhere, but because of ease, ahve included the B&W image that will appear in the NSB. I welcome any information that others can provide. Burdick's collection only contains "The Scout" as far I cn tell (Mike Maltzman and I visited his collection at the Met a couple of year ago, and I made a special note to review this...alas, only to find the one). Chris

INDIAN GUM PREMIUMS

‘30s - (Goudey Gum Co.), 178 x 229 mm

U.S.A., 14K unnumbered paper premiums

These full-color, blank-backed premiums were advertised on Indian Gum wrappers as “Fine Art Prints” and were available via the mail. Fifty wrappers could be exchanged for a requested print which was checklisted on each wrapper; however, wrappers also noted that the manufacturer reserved the right to substitute one the others that were listed or “some other equally attractive Indian Picture”. Since “Indian Gum” was issued over many years, the premiums available for redemption changed over time (as evidenced by different checklists found on three known wrapper variations). The initial offering appears to have been prints of famous artwork by Winold Reiss. Following exhaustion of this supply, the company appears to have issued prints almost exclusively containing artwork by both Cyrus E. Dallin and Winold Reiss. (based on the titles listed in checklists found on the wrappers). Both of these noted artists created Native American artwork that was reprinted in various formats and sizes over many years, but it is obvious that Reiss’ prints were more widely distributed. As an example, sets of twenty-four Reiss prints entitled ”Blackfoot Indians of Glacier National Park” that were originally used in calendars issued by the Great Northern Railway Company of St. Paul, Minnesota (each measuring 9 x 12 inches), were issued in multiple printings over many years. These prints consist of single portraits predominantly on a white or single color background surrounded by a thin line that serves to “frame” the picture in in wide white border. Since none identify the manufacturer, much consternation has arisen over the years as to what actually constitutes an “Indian Gum Premium” given that singles from the Great Northern Railway Company set are readily available. Fortunately, envelopes bearing Goudey’s name and return address complete with the enclosed print and a thankyou note bearing the company’s logo have surfaced. Contained within have been examples of what is presumed to be “original” premiums that measure 7 x 9 inches and contain borderless artwork by Dallin. Unfortunately, prints of titles created by Reiss in this same format have not been identified. Furthermore, no premium containing Reiss’ artwork is found in the Jefferson Burdick collection. Given this dilemma and until further information surfaces, premiums containing artwork by Reiss attributed to Goudey but unaccompanied by the mailing envelope/letter should be viewed with a moderate degree of skepticism. Conversely, prints containing C.E. Dallin artwork found with either of the titles in the checklist below and the above dimensions (7 x 9 inches) are good candidates to be legitimate “Indian Gum Premiums”. As a sidenote, it has been reported that Goudey’s left over stock of premiums was sold following the company’s dissolution in the 1960s, but no information regarding their attributes are known. The checklist below, which lists the two confirmed premiums, is printed on one of the three known wrapper variations (which actually list fourteen different titles). An asterix adjacent to the title in the checklist below signifies that the print has been confirmed in either the Burdick Collection or has been accompanied by an envelope/letter that establishes providence. (ACC# R74)

KNOWN CHECKLIST: [artist, group(s) as listed on wrapper variations]

(1)         Alex Eagle Plume [Reiss; a]

(2)         Appeal to the Great Spirit* [Dallin; c]

(3)         Arrow Top [Reiss; a, b, c]

(4)         Big Face Chief [Reiss; b, c]

(5)         Big Wolf [Reiss; a]

(6)         Buffalo Body [Reiss; b, c]

(7)         Clears Up [Reiss; a, b, c]

(8)         Home Gun [Reiss; a]

(9)         Jim Blood [Reiss; b]

(10)         Lazy Boy Medicine Man [Reiss; a, b, c]

(11)         Only Child [Reiss; a, b]

(12)         The Scout* [Dallin; c]

(13)         Tough Bread [Reiss; b, c]

(14)         Yellow Head [Reiss; a]

Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #6 
the Benjamin article I'd like to post was written by a collector that

indicates he bought 2, which he listed and a checklist of all the ones that Fawcett had for sale.

God, this forum is GOOD,

And thank you CHRIS BENJAMIN
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #7 
That collector also mentioned that the Weinold Reiss prints were

supplemented with "Dahlin" prints.

=========

My ONE print (pictured above) came to me in an ebay auction WITH

the original Goudey mailing envelope.

=========

Chris, can I post the 2 page article from Benjamin's monthly pub ?

It's amazing
Chris Watson
Reply with quote  #8 
Dan,

Regardless of any copyright concern, I'd love to read that article. Can you e-mail me a scan (nscards@comcast.net)?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.