Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Chuck Millburn

Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone know what cards came in these wrappers : 

gumincwr1.jpg rwrapxx.jpg   

The Gum Inc. Wrapper brought $676 tonight on ebay. 

bcornell

Defender & Offender
Reply with quote  #2 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162832944761?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

s-l1600 (1).jpg  s-l1600 (2).jpg  s-l1600 (3).jpg  s-l1600.jpg 

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm going to take a stab at this and say that the blue 1940 Gum Inc. wrapper probably held over-stock Lone Ranger cards and Superman cards. 

The primary reason I think this is the term "Picture Story Card".  The only other wrappers that refer to having a "Story Card" inside are these two Gum Inc. sets.  I imagine the reason for this is all other Gum Inc. sets during this period are reality based (as in the War) and refer to "Picture Cards" enclosed.  Lone Ranger and Superman are fictional characters (sorry if I'm bursting any bubbles).  The company is consistent with this distinction.  Three cards, plus a piece of gum is a real bargain, so I assume this is intended as a generic, blow-out wrapper.

Of course, this is strictly conjecture with no evidence.  I wish I had won this wrapper, but alas, I was way down the list of bidders.  - Jack J.
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #4 
Saw this wrapper in the $90-$100 range and amazed by the price it brought......
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #5 
I would be surprised if too many people had seen this wrapper before, ever. I would bet that we could agree that it is at least as rare as some of the other wrappers from the 1930s. G-Men, Wham Gum (Pulver Pictures), I'm Going to Be, Shelby Fighting Planes, etc. I'm not surprised at the price and look at it as possibly unique. It's cool, but as primarily a card guy working on so many sets it wasn't for me at this point. Maybe if another one turns up in a few more years but I think collectors would be less likely to have kept a wrapper such as this versus once from a specific set making this one all the harder to find.
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #6 
I really like it! I went after it hard but lost.

Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry for the delayed response. Just got around to setting up my account on the new site. I own an unopened pack of the topps fun pack (pictured on the right), and I made out through the back wrapper that the card is a 1964 Topps The Beatles A Hard Days Night. Pack contains just one card and a stick of gum.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.