Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #1 
I lifted the list below from PSA's msater set registry checklist of almost 500 cards for Marilyn Monroe.  I only copied the cards issued in her lifetime - why no cards issued in the USA?  (I know there's the exhibit, but it doesn't even look to be listed in checklist)..

Reply with quote  #2 
Why didn't American companies make many cards of her, or why aren't they listed in the registry set?
1) maybe licensing?
2) nobody asked PSA to add them yet.
Their master sets are put together very quickly, but you can add additional cards once they get graded if they are not part of the checklist yet.

Comc has a lot in their checklist: https://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=Marilyn+Monroe,ot,p1,i100

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee
Why didn't American companies make many cards of her, or why aren't they listed in the registry set?
1) maybe licensing?
2) nobody asked PSA to add them yet.
Their master sets are put together very quickly, but you can add additional cards once they get graded if they are not part of the checklist yet.

Comc has a lot in their checklist: https://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=Marilyn+Monroe,ot,p1,i100

Thanks for responding John.  I guess I didn't state my question very well.  This is not a registry or master set question - I couldn't care less about that, but they contain an interesting checklist, which is why I used it. 

With the exception of 1 or 2 exhibit cards of Marilyn printed in Chicago, there are no cards of her that were printed in America during her lifetime.  I post here because I entertain the possibility that, in spite of my vigorous searches for American-made cards of Marilyn Monroe for over twenty years having turned up a big NOTHING, maybe some knowledgeable collector here can help.

Reply with quote  #4 
I think the main reason is that there were hardly any American movie star card sets in the 1950s when she was making appearances on cards. There were tons of movie star sets in Sweden and surrounding countries during those years, and that's where most of her cards were issued as you noted. 

Marilyn seems to be much more popular now than when she was making films. There were tons more cards of Doris Day made in the same years Marilyn was making movies. Lots more Esther Williams too. 
sthoemke

Reply with quote  #5 
I agree, licensing and lack of movie star issues.

Marilyn Monroe is on several USA-produced playing cards during her lifetime.
visionlures

Reply with quote  #6 

flip.jpg
OT but my favorite monroe piece
gum ball orange crate
marilymonroecrate.jpg 

orangesmarulynmonroe.jpg 

sthoemke

Reply with quote  #7 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.