Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #26 
For my part I’m looking forward to Martin Murray’s next two publications regarding American Tobacco cards (the T book and the photographic N book). I will also be the first in line for the next NSB even if it’s 3000 pages long by publication time. I really like scrolling through reference books as an activity. Flipping pages online? Not so much. That’s just me though.
lcummins

Reply with quote  #27 
Since my primary focus has always been “bubble gum” cards from the 1930’s to the early 1990’s, specializing in Topps, I’ve never really used ACC numbers since most sets never had a number. I can see why a system was developed for the early tobacco, exhibit and similar cards, since they can be bewildering, but I’ve never seen a need for cards from the 1950’s onward. I’ve just always used the set title and is the easiest way for me to look them up in guides. But that’s just me and I’m sure others feel differently. I think the way the Benjamin guides were organized, alphabetically by ‘time periods’, works well for ‘modern’ cards.

Reply with quote  #28 
I'm not as serious a collector as some of you. But, for the cards I am collecting, I'm very serious. I'm mainly a collector of "R" cards, and only trying to complete certain sets since 1984 that I had started in the early '50s when I was 8-12 years old. I've also tried completing a few sets other than the "R" sets, andI've run into even more problems finding where they fit in. I am now collecting Novel Candy cards, and there are some "uncatalogued" cards. I don't see any new "cataloguing" being done. I got the impression that the ACC had done its job, and the members were now all dead, or the organization had been disbanded. Now I read there are members and the organization is extant. This is good news. Since I am a person who likes organization of things, like Todd's and this website, where I can go and find what I am looking for, I would like to add my voice to those who are asking for "cataloguing" to be continuous and up-to-date, and ultimately in one place to find "everything you ever wanted to know about non-sport cards but were afraid to ask." How else will this hobby be kept alive unless people have an easy place to find out what's out there so they can collect it?
boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #29 
A complex set of issues from a simple question of definitions.  

I follow the convention of naming a card as 'uncatalogued' if it is not in the ACC.  It isn't a derisive term, just a recognition that the card is not part of the American 'canon'.  It also helps as a short-hand means to articulate that the card hasn't been known for a lengthy period.  Sometimes that matters.  For example the 1938 NX5 American Sweets set from the Philippines; rare as hens' teeth and have emerged in a few clusters over the years.  The set is catalogued in the ACC, though, so the ACC name helps give context to collectors who might wonder if the cards are legit or are Broders.  Burdick knew of them in the early days and valued them at a nickel each, which makes the odds of the issue being a recent creation virtually nil.  

The ACC and the WTi suffer from the same problem, namely, lack of detail.  Take NX5 again: the listing just says 250 cards from American Sweets in the P.I.  You can pin down a card as maybe from the set but that's it.  I want a damn checklist and images, and information on the set besides its mere existence.  I've been mulling a world boxing card encyclopedia similar to what I do with the cards from the Americas and related American colonies but the thing that stops me is that doing it right (checklists, images, variations, analysis) is a Herculean undertaking.  The book Tim posted, Seconds Out, is a middle ground between the ACC/WTI style and what I do: minimal details, an illustration, some checklisting effort.  

BTW, Tim, an amazing specialty book is Dificiles Eran Las De Antes, which covers Argentinean cards.  It has helped me identify numerous Argentinean issues that PSA (the devils) have hopelessly fouled up.  I got it off Amazon several years ago.  

We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.