Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
GregG

Reply with quote  #51 
Boom...

4 more
therest.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #52 
#47 Au Bon Marche (I think this is a new one, but I'm starting to lose track)

aubon47.jpg 

GregG

Reply with quote  #53 
CACAO PAYRAUD #31

pay.jpg

a
nother brand with #20

back.jpg  labella.jpg

24 with a new back

34.jpg 

teza

Reply with quote  #54 
#20 brand variation.

Jeff

Au Chalet.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #55 
A 4-in-1 card with #18 on the bottom

4in1.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #56 

guerin31.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #57 
#1 with no advertising

plain1.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #58 
#2 no advertising

plain2.jpg 

#31 no advertising

plain31.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #59 

guerin6.jpg 

guerin23.jpg 

guerin46.jpg 

librairie6.jpg 

librairie9.jpg 

hi number not sure which one:

librairie-hinum.jpg 

vin33.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #60 
Guys, this is an unbelievable effort from all 3 of you.

I'll catch-up on the scoring tonight - just got up here in the UK.

Looks like GregG is still out in the lead, but moviecard has certainly troubled the scorecard. And glad to see teza is still in the game, but playing for honour now (and his new chromo collection) in a very creditable third place.

There's an article or two in this - I'll PM you all at some point, to see if we can collaborate on a write-up / publish some of this great information. Hopefully for the less common brands you can snip some reverse/back images as well (which themselves are quite interesting), for the record, before they disappear from the net.

But,..., we'll need to wait for CLUE#3 (Wednesday evening) before we jump to writing an article.

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #61 
OK, a catch-up on scoring, by Post:

Post 48 GregG: Never seen these before #14, #24, #34 = 9 points (still missing #36)
Post 49 teza: Two cards from the top of the post, nil points
Post 50 moviecard: Four cards from the top but new brand = 8 points
Post 51 GregG: Blank set of six, 4 on A&G cards: #6, 9, 46, 49 = 4 points
Post 52 moviecard: Au Bon Marche #47 1 point
Post 53 GregG: Cacao Payraud #31 - new brand 2 points, La Rue #20 2 points, #24 new brand 2 points = total 6 points 
Post 54 teza: Beziers #20 - new brand - 2 points
Post 55 moviecard 4 in 1 #18 - new layout - 2 points
Post 56 moviecard Guerin-Boutron - 1 point
Post 57 moviecard Blank #1 - 1 point 
Post 58 moviecard Blank #2, 31 - 2 points 
Post 59 moviecard CGB #6 - 1 point, CGB #23/#45 double (already done) - nil, CGB #46 1 point, Libraire Papeterie #6, #9, #49 new brand 2 each = 6 points, new card #33 triple points! TOTAL 11 points.

Summary:
GregG - plus 19 points
teza - plus 2 points
moviecard - plus 26 points and closing in on GregG

Way, way beyond what I thought was possible ......

moviecard

Reply with quote  #62 
2 in 1 of #15:

2in1-15.jpg 

2 in 1 of high number

2in1-hinum.jpg 

3 in 1 of #19, 23, 26:

3in1-19-23-26.jpg 

#26:

guerin26.jpg 

corsets31.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #63 
Another amazing effort by moviecard.

Scoring as follows:
2 in 1 #15 blank = 1 point
2 in 1 #38 blank = 1 point
3 in 1 # 19, #26. (#34/#45) double, all blank = 3 points (Greg G only got 1 point for a blank brand double, so need to be consistent)
#26 CGB - known card, but first post of #26 - only 1 point (unlucky)
#31 new brand = 2 points

Total = 8 points

Which makes moviecard and GregG neck and neck at 49 and 50 points respectively.

I'm exhausted scoring this competition and I am minded to declare an honourable 'draw' to the two leaders.

As the following posts will show, we have now almost exhausted the known cards on chromos.

Update: CLUE#3 / COMPETITION CONCLUDING REMARKS TO FOLLOW BEFORE 10PM UK TIME (5PM EST)

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #64 
OK, we have now covered 37 of the 38 cards I have now seen.

As we are now close to exhaustion of known chromo images, I am going to declare an early close - partly to give GregG and moviecard some much needed rest from trawling the web!

As we close the competition, I am going to award a bonus point for the competitor who posted the most number of cards. And moviecard therefore gets this final bonus point, not least of which is the multiple/uncut card posts (never seen any of these), bumping his score to 50.

Between the joint winners, an incredible score of 100 points! Unless you've had a go at finding these images, you won't be aware of just how hard this is - teza's efforts are highly commended in third. But the GregG / moviecard effort was off the scale! 

The one remaining image I have seen is shown below, #17. I actually found this during the competition, but I had a helping hand - CLUE#3 / CONCLUDING REMARKS to follow.

number 17.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #65 
So, the final (?) scoreboard looks like the following, in terms of chromo coverage of the 50 known N64 cards:
N64 competition.jpg 

Hopefully I've completed the table correctly. As you can see the GregG (27) and moviecard (28) identified chromos surpassed the number of cards I found over a period of about 4 months (26).

But wait, we have a new entrant, EWT. EWT identified 32 chromo cards, when he published his work in 1971. And he was only aware of 38 cards in the N64 set at this time (i.e. 32/38 cards identified).

EWT identified cards 12 and 36, which we haven't yet found. Although I think GregG may have #36 in his snippets somewhere - GregG?

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #66 
When I started out with this quest to find chromos, around 4 months ago, I wasn't aware that the great Edward Wharton-Tigar had published a research tome on Testu & Massin, working with Miss L. de Magistris, who owned an incredible collection of Continental European Trade cards up to about 1914, pre-World War 1. This catalogue was "Section 6" of the WELD, a titanic research effort that spanned some 19 volumes and is somewhat lost in time and under-appreciated.

The section 6, Testu & Massin, runs to an incredible 154 pages of detailed Testu&Massin / Champenois trade card listings.

I provide the relevant page below showing the EWT cross-reference for A&G N64, showing his 32 identified chromos from the 38 known cards in 1971.

I'll post a few more images, over the Easter break. For now, though, the Tremendous Card Competition - Part 2 competitors can take a well-deserved break!
(I'll be in touch by PM with the 3 leading competitors to talk about doing a write-up for an article or two).

EWT.jpg

GregG

Reply with quote  #67 
late add.. maybe a duplicate.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this!  I enjoyed, used the online language translator English <---> French quite a few times and appreciated the age/artwork of these card images. 

I don't recall finding an image of card with image 36.

gendelivery.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #68 
Thanks for running the contest, Tim, you had the hardest job to score the competition. I didn't even try to figure out how many points I was getting. 

Great job, Greg and Jeff, on finding all those cards and you too, Tim. I don't know how you found a lot of them, I ran out of ideas to look a couple times and never found most of the ones you found.

It will be nice to take a breather tonight. 
teza

Reply with quote  #69 
What...game over?  I just got my second wind and was getting ready to kick some serious chromo butt!  Lol.

I can't get over the number of cards that Troy and Greg were able find.  An impressive effort by both of them!

Thanks for hosting Tim.  I will never look at a gold-backed chromo the same way again.

Jeff
Marslife

Reply with quote  #70 
wow!

amazing job fellas!  I am exhausted just reading the post!  that was some serious Digging!

Reply with quote  #71 
My thanks again to the 3 main competitors, GregG, moviecard and teza, for a tremendous effort to find those chromo images.

Edward Wharton-Tigar found two that still elude us, from the 40 known chromos against the 50 N64 cards:

#12 which EWT sourced as No.2 from TM1-A22-1 (Nestle)
#36 which EWT sourced as No.13 from TM1-44 (multiple brands)

I've posted more pages from the Testu & Massin WELD Section 6 below, including the entries for these two missing images. Maybe someone will still find them? If you do, please post them below - it would be great to find all 40 of the known chromos, today, from web-based searches.

img192.jpg  img193.jpg  img195.jpg  img196.jpg  img197.jpg  img198.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #72 
OK, the four Nestle cards are all found, with #12 (blue background) shown in this recently published Testu & Massin Italian research book, which follows on from WELD section 6 (1971).

The four highlighted cards correspond to A&G N64 #12, #7, #13, #43 respectively (this last one was not known to EWT in 1971).

This just leaves #36 unaccounted for.

nestle.jpg

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #73 
I recently uncovered quite a few of the featured Allen and Ginter trade cards with little beauty backs while looking thru my extensive picture archives. Only mentioning in case someone actually cares enough to want the extra images.....

Reply with quote  #74 
Someone definitely does care - its whether anyone has the time and dedication to tackle such a big topic (tobacco trade cards) …..

See this thread, from a month back, where we started to discuss:
https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/acc-product-service-sets-10502274?pid=1311355468

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.