Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #51 
First steal of the contest?

Jack Hoxie, card 25

Jack hoxie - card 25.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #52 
I'm done moderating for the day. Feel free to keep posting your pictures, I'll get back to them tomorrow, probably not until tomorrow night as I have to work.

So far, 16 matching Exhibit cards have been found, but there are still 92 potential matches waiting to be found and 5 Fans Exhibit cards not found yet. tim_uk has broken out to an early lead, but anyone can still jump in and compete, there are a ton of faces not yet matched up with Exhibit cards and plenty of time to catch up.
moviecard

Reply with quote  #53 
25 Hoxie from tim_uk is correct.

He is right, that is the first steal of the contest, be careful about helping your competition!
bvb5366

Reply with quote  #54 

As someone who has collected non-sport "picture cards" for over 60 years and never purchased an exhibit card with an actor or actress on it. I did purchase exhibit cards with airplanes on them and, I think, similar cards with automobiles on them (those did not survive my younger brothers when I went into the Air Force)  So this contest and the replies to it entertain me, amuse me, and positively amaze me. Keep it going guys. However, I do think it is an unfair contest because, in spite of the odds calculated in some unknown manner for a bunch of us, only a few of us kids seem to have any real chance to play.  

Reply with quote  #55 
Well, with Google Images (and worthpoint, and the nonsports gallery, and the Met, and whatever else), anyone has a chance in this one.  It just takes time and eyesight.  Even though this era is not my bailiwick, I could win if I chose to just by spending the most time on it.  

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #56 
Thanks, Swarmee, for the good response to bvb5366's concerns. 

bvb5366, I'm glad you are enjoying watching the proceedings. but it is not too late to jump in. This contest was designed for everyone to play. It is not easy for anyone. I did it myself and it took me months to locate 93 images on the web of the 108. I don't own any of the cards myself and I doubt if any of the posted cards so far in this contest are owned by any of the players. The images needed are scattered around the web, so it's an easter egg hunt to win this contest. 

Crockettfan was an 80-1 longshot going into this contest and he is now in 4th place. bvb5366, you were a middle of the field 40-1 going in, I'm sure you can jump in and get in the race. At the moment, you only have to find 3 images to move into second place. And it only takes one image to jump in front of all of the former NonSportMan of the Year winners combined, they have taken a collective 0-fer so far in the contest.

For anyone that has not screen grabbed and posted images to the Vintage Non-Sports website, I just posted a tutorial for doing that in another post. Give it a try and if you are still having problems, reply to that post and I'll make things even clearer. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it.
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #57 
Off to bed (UK time) - no more progress today - but I’m planning another blast tomorrow - don’t know how moviecard did 93 - that’s dedication!

P.S. never heard of exhibit cards, let alone own any, before this quiz. I learn a lot on this forum!

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #58 
Edmund Cobb - card 3

Edmund Cobb - card 3.jpg 

Buddy Roosevelt - card 15 (2 versions, sorry Docsdrillers another steal)

Buddy Roosevelt - card 15 v2.jpg  Buddy Roosevelt - card 15.jpg 

Milton Sills - card 14

Milton Sills - card 14.jpg 

Blanche Sweet - card 21 - the actresses are tough, first one?

Blanche Sweet - card 21.jpg  

moviecard

Reply with quote  #59 
Last 4 entries by tim_uk are all correct, 4 more points for tim_uk.
LuckyLarry

Reply with quote  #60 
I am lobbying to have an asterisk placed by score due to the fact that all my scans and guesses were from cards I pulled out of the closet😉

LuckyLarry 0*
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #61 
It seems like overkill, but here's a few more ....

Mary Brian - card 24
Mary Brian - card 24.jpg 

Jack Oakie - card 11

Jack Oakie - card 11.jpg 

Edmund Lowe - card 13

Edmund Lowe - card 13.jpg 

Fay Wray - card 2

fay wray - card 2.jpg 

Georgia Hale - card 12
georgia hale - card 12.jpg 

Monte Banks - card 15

Monte Banks - card 15.jpg 

Rex Lease - card 18

Rex LEase - card 18.jpg 

Gary Cooper - card 10

GAry Cooper - card 10.jpg 

Louise Brooks - card 20

Louise BRooks - card 20.jpg 

Nancy Carroll - card 22

Nancy Carroll - card 22.jpg 

George Bancroft - card 24

George Bancroft - card 24.jpg 

Antonio Moreno - card 22

Antonio Moreno - card 22.jpg 

swarmee

Reply with quote  #62 
I'm off tomorrow, and I'll try to spend a couple of hours playing.

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #63 
tim_uk is correct on all entries, 12 more points for tim_uk.
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #64 
Bring it on …...

Last ones for today - day off tomorrow (from EXCO) - must get some work done!

Charles Rogers - card 19
Charles Rogers - card 19.jpg 

Maurice Chevalier - card 14

Maurice Chevalier - card 14.jpg 

Will Rogers - card 13

Will Rogers - card 13.jpg 

Douglas Fairbanks - card 11 - looks about right - not 100% sure

Douglas Fairbanks - card 11.jpg 

Victor McLaglen - card 15   (not sure about this one....right person, not sure right picture)

Victor McLaglen - card 15.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #65 
tim_uk is correct on Charles Rogers, Maurice Chevalier, and Will Rogers.

On Fairbanks, I don't believe it is a match, but I am tentatively going to award a point for that image anyway, as that is one of the images I have never found and his image is as close as I've seen for that one. If anyone happens to find the exact match on that one, I will change the points for that one appropriately.

The McLaglen entry is not a match, no points for that one.

So 4 more points for tim_uk, good work today!
moviecard

Reply with quote  #66 
I am planning on ending the contest with tim_uk declared the winner. The reason is that I don't think there are enough images left out there for anyone to beat him at this point and I don't want people spending large amounts of time with no chance of winning.

I did a search for a bunch of the images I previously found and could not find them yesterday, I don't think they are available on the web at the moment. If anyone has any objections to me ending the contest early, let me know and we will discuss.

Thanks everyone for playing.

-Troy
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #67 
Thanks Troy for setting this up - I had some fun!

If anyone wants to know more about the history of ESCO cards, I spotted a great article by George Vrechek, on the Old Baseball site, with an additional reference to Adam Warshaw's ESCO sub-site (boxingcardman). Troy (moviecard) also has a great sub-site of ESCO cards.

George's article is here:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/Exhibit_Supply_Cards.pdf

moviecard's ESCO gallery is here:
http://www.moviecard.com/zamerican/exhibit/exhibit_ToC.html

boxingcardman's gallery is here:
https://imageevent.com/exhibitman

Now, get stuck into "Tremendous Card Contest - Part 2 - open until the end of Easter Monday (13 April)"
https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/tremendous-card-contest-part-2-open-until-the-end-of-easter-monday-13-april-10476756?pid=1311151280#post1311151280

and help to make some hobby history ...….

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #68 
Yeah, thanks Troy! I had fun watching Tim win.

Reply with quote  #69 
It is official now, tim_uk is the winner of the Tremendous Card Contest! Congratulations, Tim!

Tim, please message me your mailing address and I will send your prize out soon. 

I will post an epilogue to this contest soon, there is a little more info about the original 1930 contest I think people would be interested in hearing about.

I just saw that there is a Part 2 competition going now, great to see Tim has taken the ball and run with it, I'm going to have to figure out how to play and jump in.

Thanks, everyone for playing and watching this Part 1 contest!

-Troy
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #70 
From what I've seen in the past year and a half - Tim is a FORCE :-)

Reply with quote  #71 
Tremendous Card Contest Final Wrapup

I intended to do this wrapup earlier, but got sidetracked on a bunch of other stuff. I just want to post some more information about this contest and this Exhibit Fans set for those that are interested.

First, I felt bad about not giving Tim a point for this match that he found on Jean Darling.

[wrapup1]  [wrapup2] 

The photo was probably taken at the same photo session and I would have given a point except that I have seen an exact match as follows:

[wrapup3] 
When I was spending a lot of time looking for these matches a year or so ago, I started with the premise that these pictures were all movie stars, since the Exhibit Fans contest information talked about the cards being movie stars.

[wrapup4] 

I found a lot of matches quickly, but then I hit a wall. When I hit the wall, there were still probably 50 or more that I couldn’t find. I thought that was a bit suspicious. I expected to have trouble at some point, but I thought I would be able to find a lot more than that. Another thing I found suspicious was that some of the unidentified pictures were a bit unusual, such as the back view of the fellow on the far right of the following card:

[wrapup5] 

How could anyone identify that guy from a back view? That back view guy was what made me think originally that every picture had to have an exact match on a previously issued Exhibit card. Otherwise, how could Exhibit prove the identities of the people on the cards if people complained during their contest, especially this guy.

But then I found a twist while looking through the Exhibit cards in the Jefferson Burdick collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art website. Burdick had three comic Exhibit cards that matched pictures on the Fans cards. Here’s one of them:

[wrapup6] 

[wrapup7] 

I reread the Exhibit contest rules. There was an Exhibit Movie Star Fan Test Sheet. I’ve never seen one of those, but I recalculated what it must look like. I think now that the Exhibit Movie Star Fan Test Sheet did not have a place for all 128 pictures. Instead, it probably just had places for about half that many movie stars, with their names identified beneath the blank rectangles. The trick of the contest was picking out the movie stars, and not using one of the comic pictures, since about half the pictures were not really movie stars.

When I was looking for identifications, I was stuck about halfway through, until I saw some ebay auctions last fall for those Exhibit comic cards, which must be pretty hard to find. The seller had a big group of them, not a complete set, but most of a set. Almost all of the cards matched the Exhibit Fans pictures I was missing. When I started the contest, I wrongly assumed that those cards were still floating around on the web to be found and identified for the contest, but I actually think they went unsold and did not make their way onto Worthpoint.

I was wondering if any collectors on our site might have a set of those comic Exhibit cards. If they did, they would have been able to get a lot of points quickly in the contest. But nobody who played showed any of the comic Exhibit cards.

Here are some pictures I saved from the Exhibit comic card auctions.

[wrapup8] 

All eight of the pictures from this group were used in the Fans pictures.

[wrapup9] 

Five of the seven cards shown in this picture were used in the Fans pictures.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.