Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
lcummins

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys, I'm doing research for a Wrapper article which will include information on shipping cartons. I'm a non-sports only guy but I know a lot of you guys collect sports cards as well. I'm looking for information (and images if possible) for the earliest Topps' shipping carton with a stock number printed on it. Currently, the earliest I know of is 1958 Football and 1958 Zorro. Also, most Topps shipping cartons have a "stamped" six digit number on them. I'm also trying to find the earliest "stamped" shipping carton, with the 1958 Football also being the earliest known. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Lonnie

Reply with quote  #2 
I didn't see a stamped number but this empty 1952 Topps case has been on this site for a while.

http://www.dacardworld.com/vintage/1952-topps-baseball-empty-case
Crockettfan

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Lonnie.  Here's my Topps Crockett case which I presume is from 1956.

It was sent from Brooklyn to Milwaukee.

CROCKETTCASE.jpg 

CROCKETTBOX2.jpg 

The shipping number is only 5 digits: 22215:

CROCKETTBOX3.jpg

"Be sure you are right, then go ahead."
David Crockett
lcummins

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG76
I didn't see a stamped number but this empty 1952 Topps case has been on this site for a while.

http://www.dacardworld.com/vintage/1952-topps-baseball-empty-case

Yes, I had images of that one already, but thanks.

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockettfan
Hey Lonnie.  Here's my Topps Crockett case which I presume is from 1956.

It was sent from Brooklyn to Milwaukee.

The shipping number is only 5 digits: 22215:

CROCKETTBOX3.jpg

Hey Frank, thanks so very much for the images! That is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like Topps had not yet begun printing stock numbers on the cartons yet (at least for Crockett). If that stamped number is an early version of their six digit stamped numbers, then it brings up a question for you and the group. Deciphering the number would indicate May 21, 1955 as the date the carton was packed and/or shipped. Everything I can find says Crockett was released in 1956. But looking at a 1 cent display box, it includes the tagline "See Walt Disney's Technicolor Move Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier Starring Fess Parker". That movie premiered on May 25, 1955. Dave Hornish dates the first series to 1955 and I think based on the above, I have to agree Topps released the first series in 1955 and followed up with the second series in 1956. Anyone have something more concrete on the date of the first series release?

DavyCrockettOneCent.jpeg 

Below is the 1958 Football case I first mentioned. You can see it has a printed stock number and the six digit stamped code, which deciphers to Sept. 29, 1958, 1st shift. If all of Topps shipping cartons in 1956 were not printed with a stock number (like the Crockett), that would narrow the date to somewhere between 1956 and 1958 as to when they started.

1830-5-768x661.jpg

Reply with quote  #6 
My Dad told me that we bought our Crockett cards when we moved to Queens from Brooklyn in July of 1955.  No concrete evidence, just anecdotal.

I never got any Green Crocketts as a kid.  I believe we didn't know that they were different from the Oranges and we had plenty of those.  I don't recall any of my friends with green cards and we lived in Queens, not so far from the Topps offices in Brooklyn. 

"Be sure you are right, then go ahead."
David Crockett
lcummins

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockettfan
My Dad told me that we bought our Crockett cards when we moved to Queens from Brooklyn in July of 1955.  No concrete evidence, just anecdotal.

I never got any Green Crocketts as a kid.  I believe we didn't know that they were different from the Oranges and we had plenty of those.  I don't recall any of my friends with green cards and we lived in Queens, not so far from the Topps offices in Brooklyn. 

Even anecdotal evidence helps. I appreciate the feedback.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.