Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Jeff_O

Reply with quote  #1 
Wanted to asked this for a while, what with all the tobacco cards and albums and other tobacco stuff. My step-dad collected tobacco tins - does anyone else and is anyone interested? I can post pictures if you are. I don't think any are really valuable, but some are old like a crop of 1923 Lucky Strike Half and Half. If there is any interest let me know.
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #2 
Hmmmm. I DO still collect some tins here and there although not as much as I once did. I am quite familiar with almost all tobacco tins and have quite a few references. I have some of the big names 1930's -  1950's SEALED and quite a few nice pre 1918 tins to display along with my packs. Post pix here or send them to me. Not likely I would want any of them but happy to give you some idea what you might have. Searching feebay will also give some idea of whats hot and whats not :-)

Reply with quote  #3 
Here are some of the tins he collected, most are the pocket tins. I've checked feebay so I have a general idea what they are worth.

Bond Street pocket 1.jpg  Edgeworth Junior pocket 1.jpg  Edgeworth pocket 1.jpg  Edgeworth pocket 2.jpg  Granger cannister.jpg  Half and Half - crop of 1923.jpg  Half and Half pocket 1.jpg  Half and Half pocket 2.jpg  Half and Half pocket 3.jpg  Holiday pocket 1.jpg  Kentucky Club pocket 1.jpg  Revelation pocket 1.jpg  Rum and Maple 4 oz.jpg  Savory's - Baby's Bottom.jpg  Sir Walter Raleigh pocket 1.jpg  Sir Walter Raleigh pocket 2.jpg  Union Leader pocket 1.jpg  Velvet pocket 1.jpg  Willoughby Taylor pocket 1.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #4 
Unfortunately I would suggest there's not a lot of monetary value there and likely more trouble than it's worth listing them on the 'Bay. Maybe as an inexpensive lot or two someone might take a bite.

Reply with quote  #5 
Here are some that I have. If I can get cheap I pick these up at the Flea
Markets. Some are poor condition. The camera really distorted the images.

Ken

Tobacco Tins 001.jpg  Tobacco Tins 002.jpg  Tobacco Tins 003.jpg  Tobacco Tins 004.jpg  Tobacco Tins 005.jpg  Tobacco Tins 006.jpg  Tobacco Tins 007.jpg  Tobacco Tins 008.jpg  Tobacco Tins 009.jpg  Tobacco Tins 010.jpg 

GregG

Reply with quote  #6 
On the top shelf of the bookcase...

I have some tins along with other tobacco boxes & packs & jars....

Unlike Henry's things it is a bit crammed-in and unkept...like most of my collection!

IMG_2997.jpg 

IMG_2991.jpg  IMG_2994.jpg

wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #7 
I I finally located some of my tobacco tins. My favorites are the Thos. H. Hall Between The Acts "Actress" pocket tins. The portraits of the actresses are identical to their cards in the N342 series. Pictures are Aimee, Belocca, Cummings, Effie Ellsler (opened to show inside), Maude Harrison, Lizzie Harold. Some need some restoration. Also, pictured are Opera Beauties Cigars tins featuring actress/opera singer Adelina Patti. She is also featured in the N342 series. Another item I pictured is a complete box/store display of P. Lorillard Between The Acts Little Cigars with all 10 tins (no little cigars). These contained either an T25 "Actors" or T108 "Theatres Old & New" card at one time. Lastly, although, not nearly as difficult to locate as the others, I have pictured a George Washington tobacco tin. By the way, I am looking for Hall's pocket tin of Angele (this is the only other tin I can confirm although there are rumors that more might exist). Please let me know if there are any other CONFIRMED Hall's tins out there. Thanks!

Monty IMG_3319.jpg  IMG_3326.jpg  IMG_3339.jpg  IMG_3343.jpg  IMG_3345.jpg  IMG_3352.jpg  IMG_3705.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #8 
I bought one of the BTA tins a number of years ago (Minnie C.). It was the first I had seen. I saw another one other go for sale quite a few years later - it was also Minnie! As it features the same image as on the card I assumed all the tins had her portrait on them until a while back when you mentioned you had others. That was a lot of work and expense to vary the actresses on the tins. Quite scarce and neat.[smile]

Ken - like the Stogies cigar tin...

Greg - I see you're missing the Bigger Hare? it's the third iteration and I believe only found in the large paper packages....

Reply with quote  #9 
Mr. Moses,

The Stogies tin is definitely my favorite.

Ken
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #10 
Ken, I am also a big fan of the Stogies tin!

Greg, I always love the "Hair" tins. As Henry already mentioned, there is one larger size package out there somewhere.

Henry, I am happy to hear you appreciate the "Hall's" actress tins. It has taken many years of persistence, money, and lots of patience just to locate the 6 I have. The Lizzie Harold was a recent pick up that I did not know existed. Needs some restoration in the upper right. I know of one other example of Aimee, and 1 or 2 other examples of Minnie Cummings. One decent example of Cummings sold for $300+ on eBay a few years ago. You had mentioned you had Cummings at one time so not sure if that is one of the examples I am counting. I do not know of any other examples of Belocca, Ellsler, Harrison, or Harold. I know Angele exists and have been searching many years for that tin. Would love to know of any other confirmed examples that are not mentioned above.

Anybody else have any cool tobacco tins to share? I will post more the next time I make it up into my rafters where my bins are stashed (no room to display them).
Marslife

Reply with quote  #11 
here are a couple I have handy:

DSCF5453.jpg 

Reply with quote  #12 
Monty,

I presume you've seen this BTA Angele tin picture (below) on Worthpoint? I'm not a subscriber, so can't see the price it went for.

Interested to see your Adelina Patti Opera Beauties tins. Can't quite make out the manufacturer, it looks like Fine & Co, ?? & ?? Dover St, NY. But nothing like that comes up in the searches I've done.

Angele BTA tin.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.