Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #1 
at heritage. A few OMG's - including a "15" American Beauty hammering over FIFTY TIMES what it's worth, a 1500.00+ el principe de galle box(!!), a quasi related drum pouch for an obscene amount , it just went on and on.... I took a shot at the Old Mill - said unopened but didn't look to be - in any event my bid blown out of the agua.
To be fair - a few of the better packs had "good dates". There were some good packs - like albums they don't come along as a collection too often so there was healthy interest. Happy to see my unopened Polar pack appreciating in value steadily as I think one hammered near 3000.00. Not sure if that matters too much as it only goes when all the packs go. NO bargains of any kind (far from it) but I'm happy they continue to get interest - driven primarily by the baseball guys but hey - they gotta live too :-)
I still have quite a few holes in my collection (mostly 20th century) and at these kind of prices most likely they will continue to be holes. The OM pack is on the list primarily because I have the poster. Most often I have the pack and look for the poster but this time it's been the other way around. I've had a couple of period Old Mill packs but seemingly traded them away long ago and now apparently tougher to replace than it should be.
Side note: very nice N2 Ginter indians set goes off at around 7000.. PSA graded with high percentage NM and EXMT cards. Solid price for this blue chip iconic set.
So many auctions these days I didn't follow any other lots. Interesting to note that I got MANY notices along the way about my bids and stuff - until the final day. Curiouser and curiouser.....

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #2 
Pretty sure they were David Hall's and finished at the same time another batch of his vaunted T206 collection also finished.  I haven't run through the prices yet but am sure they're strong.

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #3 
David Hall had accumulated some great packs over a fairly short period of time.  Some real rarities and strong prices.  Glad I don't collect 20th century.

In general, I think cigarette packs would be in even greater demand with a wider collecting base if they were more plentiful.  It is tough to collect them, not a lot of opportunities to add to collections.  It is also an area that seems to lack full understanding and appreciation for the history although several forum members do a good job to advance this subject.

I did pick up the last lot in the auction as it included a case/carton for Goodwin's Chancellor cigarettes.  The lot had several other later boxes/tins that I will be looking to find a new home for.  Anyone into Duke smoking tobacco, Fatima, Plow Boy, or Winner cut plug (early race cars)?

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #4 
hmmmm. Nice one! Never saw the chancellor box lot I guess.... gonna look it up now. I will say a few-o-dem packs is a stretch to a real relationship with the insertion of the cards.... The quality/value issue was let's say strained a bit but packs are hard to come by - especially those with the proper attribution.

Reply with quote  #5 
Agree with all the comments above. I guess my collection just quadrupled in value! I did pick up the Drum slide, mainly because I’ve only seen 3 Drum cigarette boxes ever. One sold to a buyer in China years ago. This one that I now own, and 1 I already had in my collection with a 1910 tax stamp.

I also bought the 2 Cycle cartons and the Carolina Brights complete box. The CB is a duplicate, but they are pretty rare so I don’t mind having another.

Henry - I have an extra Old Mill so maybe someday we can work out a trade.
Canjond

Reply with quote  #6 
Also, to add to what Henry and Joe said above - I think the market has shifted a lot. So many packs are now more concentrated. With Leon’s collection being sold 5ish years ago, and David’s sold now, a lot of the tougher packs are all being locked away, so when they do come up for sale, the prices are through the roof. I’ve had to adjust accordingly, as I’m sure others have as well. I’m happy I’m close to the end of the run, just needing a handful to have the complete sweep (Uzit, Mono and TTT really being it).
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #7 
of your list only had the TTT. Took a shot or two at the simple cycle carton - the overlay on the larger carton looked like it couldn't be removed so I differed...
As for a trade - I'm listening :-)

Reply with quote  #8 
Here is the link to the Chancellor box/case/carton and some 20th century stuff that came with it.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/unopened-packs-display-boxes/19th-and-20th-century-tobacco-boxes-and-canisters-collection-7-/a/50033-57630.s

I've seen several of the Gypsy Queen cases, they are beautiful, easy to see why they were kept.  Strangely, I don't recall seeing an Old Judge case, has anyone ever seen an Old Judge Cigarette case?  (not the common cigar boxes from 20th century, but an actual Old Judge cigarette case)

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Canjond

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G.
Here is the link to the Chancellor box/case/carton and some 20th century stuff that came with it.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/unopened-packs-display-boxes/19th-and-20th-century-tobacco-boxes-and-canisters-collection-7-/a/50033-57630.s

I've seen several of the Gypsy Queen cases, they are beautiful, easy to see why they were kept.  Strangely, I don't recall seeing an Old Judge case, has anyone ever seen an Old Judge Cigarette case?  (not the common cigar boxes from 20th century, but an actual Old Judge cigarette case)

I recall a carton for GGG, but not Old Judge. There are also at least 10 Kalamazoo Bats cartons (I have 3 different in fact).
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #10 
Strange you didn't see the OJ carton at my house [eek] It's rather simple without aesthetic appeal but still uncommon and significant I guess......

Reply with quote  #11 
Henry, please post or send some pics!  I was distracted by all the slide and shell packs and occasional coupon during my visit 😉     I wasn't as interested in the cartons a couple years back, didn't take a picture, so my seeing it doesn't register and thus never happened [frown]

I thought there was a chance between you and Jon that one of you might have one and hence that is why I asked.  I've recently seen some other early Goodwin cartons but not for Old Judge cigarettes.  The following advert makes it look like it is a light green box for the cigarettes.

Early Old Judge Carton.jpg 

A friend of ours also has a carton for Old Judge pipe and smoking tobacco in a bright orange/red color but this wouldn't have held cigarette packs.  His carton is made out of cardboard as opposed to wood and might help explain why so few survive today.

Sorry for derailing this T-card pack thread.

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #12 
I only wish I had such an interesting looking box. Likely you will be disappointed as it is a large cardboard black and red box - similar I guess to your earlier mention. Attribution Goodwin and Co. "OLD JUDGE". It's on a shelf - LMK if you still want to see it....

Reply with quote  #13 
You had my hopes up for a bit [smile], however, the loose tobacco (for pipe and cigarette smoking) carton is quite interesting as well.  Does your example match our friends as shown below?

OJ Pipe & CIgarette Smoking 50%.jpg 

Do you believe this carton may have perhaps been used to sell both?  That is, used for selling pipe tobacco in some cartons and used to sell cigarette packs in other cartons?  I don't think so but maybe the size works for both?

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #14 
And Jon, your response didn't go unnoticed . . .   Ten cartons for K-Bats, that's pretty impressive given the rarity of the packs.  Being that K-Bats were cigars and not cigarettes, perhaps the cigars were sometimes of often times sold individually.  On your cartons, is there a tax stamp on the carton (maybe suggests they were sold individually).

Are your three copies all the same or do you see variation in design and size?

Canjond

Reply with quote  #15 
Joe - The KB carton are large - maybe 12-14 inches long, about 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall.  Based on their size, they would neatly fit about 25 of the KB boxes inside, so I'm unsure if they were how the smaller packs were displayed, or whether they were used to sell stand-alone cigars.  The 4 for 10 cents printing, which is the same as the packs, leads me to believe they carton were used to sell the smaller packs.  It seems odd that they would manufacture 4 cigar packs, and then also sell 4 cigars loose.  At least two of my larger cartons have a tax band for 100 cigars.  I can't remember about the third which I do not have a photo readily available for.

All 3 of mine are different - I've so far noticed 2 different designs: an "alligator" type print on the outside, and a "floral/leaf" print on the outside.  Also, the colors vary between blue and white for at least the alligator.  I own a blue alligator print, white alligator print and a white floral print (I've never seen a blue floral print).

The smaller boxes, themselves, are perfect size for the KB cards.  I've included scans of both below.

Item_3429_1.jpg  kb1.jpg 
Kalamazoo Bats 1.jpg 
KBclosed.jpg 
    KB.jpg    

Here's some photos to show the difference in scale.

IMG_9549.jpg 

IMG_9550.jpg

GregG

Reply with quote  #16 
A few related boxes.  The Marburg has an 1883 16 oz. stamp.

IMG_3364.jpg  IMG_3365.jpg 

IMG_3363.jpg  IMG_3368.jpg 

IMG_3366.jpg  IMG_3367.jpg

Canjond

Reply with quote  #17 
Those are awesome.  I love the Consolidated and the Vanity Fair.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.