Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, so let's get some Thomas Hall posts going - I'll start a few more threads to pull together various pieces of the history I've found, so we can hopefully extend the info with the vast knowledge-base and great collectors in this forum!

We'll kick off with N497, which the CSGB cartophilic reference book 151 (published 2014) suspects is Hall, but doesn't have definitive proof. I think we have enough now.....

First the CRB151 entry, showing 6 known cards in 2 styles. Unfortunately no picture of the reverse, just one front that has been trimmed with the brand missing from the top. Coincidentally the Half Dime listing is next to Hall in alphabetical order. :

N497-2.jpg  
N497-1.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #2 
Here's the "Half Dime" brand newspaper clipping (again).

The advert ran from (at least) January 1892 through to October 1892, which provides a ballpark estimate of when the cards were likely to be available.

Can we find some collectors who can shed light on any of these 6 cards? And I'm pretty sure there must be more than 6.

Does anyone have a non-trimmed front and a back to contribute?

Half Dime.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #3 
Picking up from the other thread about Bravo and rare backs ..….

The Bravo brand seemed to fade away around the early 1880s, but seemed to be re-launched in the sunray cards (N342-4), along with Half Dime around this time (1892).

The sunray Bravo (N342-4, 7 known) and Half Dime (N497, 6 known) are both extremely rare, compared to the ongoing success / popularity of the Between the Acts brand.

It also is also worth noting that this relaunch of the Bravo brand in c.1892 shows that the Bravo cigarettes were now marketed as 'all-tobacco', not paper-wrapped, per the wording on the front of the cards. Bravo when launched in March 1878 was a paper-wrapped cigarette.

Below I show the golden sunray cards (N342-4) with Between the Acts and Bravo versions, plus the Half Dime version, which I believe was issued at the same time, very likely with the same portraits (Caroline Miskel shown).

Incidentally, the sunray design is also the one used for the also very rare N349 Ours brand (around 11 subjects known). Interesting that this Ours brand is not mentioned in the advert above.

sunray plus half dime.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.