Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
g1911

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been collecting T68 for awhile now, slowly building up a master set (not going to get Natural Leaf, but focusing on Pan Handle Silver backs).  

Every card has Royal Bengals Factory 2, Royal Bengals factory 17, Miners Extra, Pan Handle with a blue text, and the tough Natural Leafs.  Series 2 has Pan Handle also existing with a silver coated stock, like T220 Silver borders exist that they slathered over the whole thing, which must have been fairly costly.  That's 550 cards.

Forbes & Mitchell list a Royal Bengals brown back existing for this set, also only in series 2 and with factory 2.  Out of all the cards I've seen and handled, I've never owned or seen one that looked to me like a brown back, just different levels of wear and toning to black ink over the century.  I don't doubt these exist, but I must either not be seeing the difference or these are one tough breed to locate.  Does anyone have a scan of these they would be kind enough to share?

The Brown's make 600 to a Master Set, plus the Pizzaro and Jefferson (Men and Women of History) variations posted last year or so on this board, with Miners Extra backs.  That would make 602-648 (there are two women that have this slogan on every copy) different cards depending how many of the men had the variation in the caption printed. Anybody have a different count than this?

Would also love to see any oddities folks have for this set.  I know of Blank Backs of Fulton, Grant, De Lesseps and Lee (I own the De Lesseps), and I have some unique paper thin cutouts from a poster I would love to see a full copy of at some point (if one even exists) that I have posted here before. 

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello and thanks for asking this question..

I have a few Brown backs, or what I thought were brown backs..

I emailed a chat-line member who informed me that I did not have a brown back as it was just a degradation of the print over time..

I just had a birthday and by sheet accident I looked directly into the full length mirror after getting out of the shower..

So no one can tell me that I do not know what degradation is..
Crockettfan

Reply with quote  #3 
Not degradation Marty, just some wear and tear.

I have had hundreds of T68's...can't recall a single brown back.  I have a blank back Daniel Boone and about 20 silverbacks.  I just now found that I have a Pizarro variation.

t68pizarro.jpg 

"Be sure you are right, then go ahead."
David Crockett
forbesrs

Reply with quote  #4 
Who knows what was rattling around in that Forbes guy's brain when he wrote the T68 entry in his & Terry's book? He might have just made an error on the brown vs. black (confusing a printing/shading/fading variation for a whole different color) OR he might have deliberately thrown in an erroneous variation just to drive Marty nuts. The world may never know.

g1911

Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah, what does that Forbes guy know?  That book has been the greatest resource for N and T cards I have ever come across. Would happily pay for an update to this book.  Hint hint 😉

Thanks for the feedback here guys.  Looks like I can cross off these 50 cards finally!  

I'd love to see the Boone blank back, Mr. Crockett.

And, that makes 2 Pizzarro's and 1 Jefferson with the slogan variation that I have ever seen, all with Miners Extra backs.  Is it just me, or was Miners Extra cut shorter than the other cards, top to bottom?  I used to think I just kept buying trimmed cards but it really appears to me they were factory cut to a slightly smaller size as standard.
rhettyeakley

Reply with quote  #6 
Miners was definitely issued by the company both cut short (usually the bottom border) or found full size. May have been a product size issue that required some to be cut shorter to accommodate a smaller package? I have seen countless examples from different sources (All with Miners back) with that cut. I have always preferred the full size obviously but have toyed with the idea of collecting the set both ways.
Marslife

Reply with quote  #7 
this might shed some light, Miners Extra had two different package sizes.  the larger is 1/4 inch wider and higher than the other.  makes sense that the smaller cards were trimmed for the smaller package and the untrimmed cards for the larger package?

Hmmm....

DSCF0393.jpg  DSCF0394.jpg  DSCF0395.jpg  DSCF0396.jpg 

Reply with quote  #8 
RE: Pizarro, etc. back variations - I don't claim to be an expert on a master set for this series (I leave that stuff to insane collectors like Marty...) so I quit at 100 cards with various backs plus a few extra back variations and never did much digging after that.

Regarding the Men & Women vs Men - has anyone found both versions for the same subject with the SAME brand (Miner's Extra) and factory? Forgive me if this is already long since discussed as I haven't paid much attention to this series in years.

forbesrs

Reply with quote  #9 
RE: Measuring tape in picture above - Grove City Realty: Small world - I grew up about 15 miles from Grove City, PA & both my brothers went there (Grove City College).
g1911

Reply with quote  #10 
Yes, Jefferson and Pizarro were both found with a "men and women" of history tag line, in addition to the normal subject line on their Miners Extra backs.  These two cards, at least, exist both ways with the Miners back (one factory for all Miners cards), adding 2 more to a true master set.  The thread where these were found is here: https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/t68-backs-9827785?highlight=t68&pid=1306138271

I have not seen anymore outside of this board.  2 copies of the scarcer version for Pizarro, 1 for Jefferson. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.