Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
g1911

Reply with quote  #1 
Not sure what I have here.  I picked these up last year on eBay for .99 for the lot, assuming they
were probably just junk; cards glued to a cardboard back at some point.  Turns out, they aren't

The cards don't betray any sign of being a normal T29 glued to cardboard.  There is either a blue and black border around the image on the front, which is a slightly lower quality image of the T29 artwork.  The 'cards' are on a cheap thick cardboard.  The unique border, that appears to be part of the image, makes me think these were cut from some type of display piece, though I've never seen a tobacco ad poster or such printed on such thick and crude cardboard

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_1128.jpg (219.24 KB, 28 views)
jpeg IMG_1129.jpg (156.64 KB, 27 views)
jpeg IMG_1130.jpg (244.98 KB, 21 views)
jpeg IMG_1132.jpg (203.52 KB, 20 views)

forbesrs

Reply with quote  #2 
The cards shown here do not have quite the same coloring as found on T29's. The same artwork was used in a British American Tobacco set with Cross-Cut cigarettes, an anonymous Chinese issue, and several bakery & gum company sets, including Weber Bros' bakery set D-9 and the Canadian Harry Horne Nu-Jell issue FC-1.

The Weber Brothers (Oinst Mike & Pullman Bread) and the Harry Horne (Nu-Jell) issues both have white borders, as does the Canadian Chewing Gum Company (Papoose Animal Gum) issue.

I don't have examples of the BAT or Chinese issues to determine whether they had blue borders.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob
g1911

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Bob!  I had never heard of the anonymous Chinese issue before, will need to pick up a type card of this to go with my T29 Master Set.  I know of the other sets, and these may well be tied to one of them instead of T29.  The artwork doesn't quite seem to quite match the style/quality of the 1920's/1930's sets re-issuing the artwork.  I'm at a loss for what these are; presumably some promotional piece for one of the T29 artwork-using issues
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #4 
To deepen the mystery, the Weber Brothers (Oinst Mike & Pullman Bread) and the Harry Horne (Nu-Jell) and the Canadian Chewing Gum Company (Papoose Animal Gum) issues all have the artwork mirror imaged from the T29 set. So I don't think those are associated with what you have pictured.

Here is an example (T29 on left, Weber on right):

[152546] 

Also, I did find some T87 Wings cards that looked very similar to what you have pictured (on thick cardboard stock and hand cut). These ended up being cut from a store sign similar to this (note: cards on sign are actual size of the cards issued):
[132180] 

So perhaps yours were from a point of sale sign or something.

Reply with quote  #5 
They are not the Cross-Cut B.A.T. Brand cards as here are a few of the ones I own shown front-back.

[t29crosscut] 
[t29crosscut2]
g1911

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you gentlemen!  Can eliminate most of the known sets.  I've never seen a 1909-1912 ATC Tobacco issue with a cardboard advertising issue, but this is seeming to be the most likely result of what these are from.  I need to go pick up a Cross Cut Tobacco back card to go with my T29's now too, don't believe I've seen those before either
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.