Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
sci-fi_guy

Member
Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #1 

Not long after Topps Vaults opened up, as it were, I snagged a demo board for the Topps Star Trek set. As you can see from the pictures, a great item but came with one of the prototype cards obviously removed in a rather careless manner. 

If I had purchased this through a dealer I may have concluded that somewhere down the road someone removed this card for resale or what have you. But, as I purchased this item directly from Topps, I got to thinking, perhaps this card was removed to be used in the actual set. Upon further inspection it's obvious that the missing card was horizontally aligned rather than vertically aligned. In looking at the Topps set there are only a handful of horizontally aligned cards and most are particular to a specific episode.

My conclusion is that, if the prototype card removed was used in the Topps set, there is an 85% probability that the missing prototype card was a picture of the Enterprise that was used to make the first card #1. There is maybe a 10% chance that the image of Kirk and Spock holding phasers ( card #8 ), and 5% chance it was any of the other horizontally aligned cards.

So I'm going to have this demo board framed
and my question is this;

Do I frame it "as is" or do I cover the damaged area with matching black paper and place a photoshopped image of card #1 ( with little yellow Enterprise logo removed ) on top ( as per image attached ). 

To be clear, there is no intent to deceive. Photos will be kept of the demo board as I received it so that when I'm dead and this item gets sold folks will know what they are getting. I just think it would look nicer displayed in all of it's glory as I ( 85% ) believe it was meant to be seen. 

Any thoughts ?

Star Trek demo board.jpg  Star Trek demo cu.jpg  trek demo repaired cu.jpg 


toppcat

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 226
Reply with quote  #2 
That is a sweet piece.  Not sure I agree on the missing card going into the set as a lot of these were just art department creations but I think covering that white patch with the actual #1 card is a good idea as it looks great in your pic.
__________________
Dave Hornish

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
boxingcardman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 136
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm with Dave on this one.  It looks great with the added item.  FWIW, I think the actual cards chosen for the cast were better than the prototypes. Also interesting (for a TOS nerd like me) that Sulu was chosen as a demo rather than Scotty.  
__________________
God is not on our side because He hates idiots
The demagogue is the public face of collective stupidity
How did a life on the wild side ever get so dull?
We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
toppcat

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 226
Reply with quote  #4 
Looks like they took the pics from a fan magazine or something similar.  Topps did this with baseball mockups, using cutouts from Sports Illustrated.  It must have been a very interesting place to work back in the day on the creative and art side.  Woody (especially) and Ben were really outside the box thinkers in many ways.
__________________
Dave Hornish

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
visionlures

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #5 
One quick question....Are the prototype "cards" paper or cardboard?   thanks
vintagenonsportschat

Avatar / Picture

Forum Administrator/Owner
Registered:
Posts: 501
Reply with quote  #6 

I would also try to frame it in a way where you could get the card on that spot and off that spot pretty easy.  Some small piece of archival tape or something if you ever sell it and the buyer wants to restore it to the way you got it.  Fantastic piece and I think that #1 card would look great there.............

 

sci-fi_guy

Member
Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionlures
One quick question....Are the prototype "cards" paper or cardboard?   thanks


These "cards" appear to be white cardboard with pictures glued on top. The text appears to actually be printed on the pictures and not another layer pasted on, as with some of the Monster Laffs prototype cards I have kicking around here somewhere.
toppcat

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 226
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci-fi_guy


These "cards" appear to be white cardboard with pictures glued on top. The text appears to actually be printed on the pictures and not another layer pasted on, as with some of the Monster Laffs prototype cards I have kicking around here somewhere.


These can vary-I have a couple of Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew prototypes and they are "built up" using bits of other things, including stickers, paper and cardboard.

__________________
Dave Hornish

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.