Author   Comment  
LuckyLarry

Reply with quote  #1 
WAS AWESOME!

LuckyLarry

Reply with quote  #2 
monsterwax

Reply with quote  #3 
I always get a kick out of how the networks stretch those newscasts out as much as they can. First, they tell you what's GONNA happen. Then about 30 minutes later, they show you it  actually happening. Then they start showing the instant replays, and people talking about what happened. Then they bring in the former astronauts who talk talk about what it was like for them, and what is going through the current astronaut's minds. Then the hosts wax eloquent about what it was like when they were kids watching it on black and white tv, and how the rest of America felt in the 1960s when it first happened, and how America has changed, and how it's GONNA change, and how space is the future, and .... well, when it's all said and done, they've squeeze 2 to 3 hours out of a 30 minute broadcast! All without paying any writers or Hollywood actors, and getting all the talent for free! 

Don't get me wrong: I think Space Exploration is important and newsworthy, and want to see a lot more of it. (Just not in such long, run-on chunks! I guess I was spoiled by Star Wars and expect everything to happen in light speed or hyper-space.)  

Little known fact: We had the ability and go to Mars after the moon. We even had the atomic engines designed, built, and fully tested (in 1969!)... and they worked every time! But it was decided the money was better spent buying votes for politicians (although they gave another excuse, of course), and it was cancelled in 1973. 

Pretty pathetic we let the tech sit and rot all this time...

Reply with quote  #4 
I've got some cool space stuff from when I worked at Grumman.  LM program manual and system specs signed by the Program Manager Ross Fleisig the "Grumman Guys" that saved the day on the Apollo 13 mission!

enjoy...

DSCF0408.jpg  DSCF0409.jpg  DSCF0410.jpg  DSCF0411.jpg 

Reply with quote  #5 
The First Astronauts

First astronauts 001.jpg  First astronauts 002.jpg  First astronauts 003.jpg  First astronauts 004.jpg 

thedutymon

Reply with quote  #6 
Afternoon,

I took my Son when he was 5 to Cape Canaveral, so this was 1997/1998. One of the Shuttles was launching and the Shuttle was on the Crawler and almost to the Launch site. In those days you could literally walk out to the Black volcanic looking path that was the Shuttle road. You could get to within about 50-75 ft of the Shuttle and Crawler, only thing separating you from it was a low strung chain at about calf/knee height, and you had to stand behind it. The Crawler was stopped on the road. (Vague memory of not being able to get quite as close if the Crawler was actually moving?) We came back later (Must have been a couple days, I know I made two trips from Orlando that trip) and watched it Blast off from the road right outside Canaveral! I remember how loud it was! Now-days I'm not sure you could get within 10 Miles of something like that! I have pictures of where I had to Step back 30-40 ft just to get the entire Ship in the shot! And so I can't remember which Launch it was, too long ago! Maybe Atlantis or Columbia? Need to dig out some Photos.

I'm going to find those so I can Post a couple here!

Thanks

YeeHah

Neil
bvb5366

Reply with quote  #7 
Cliff:  Just out of curiosity when did you work at Grumman? I worked at the Navy/DPRO office from 1986-2004. 

Reply with quote  #8 
hey Joe!

worked at 1979-1981 built the Iranian F-14z until the Shah toppled and then again 1983 - 1987 on the A6- F upgrade in Logistics Support Analysis until the Navy pulled the plug on that program :-(

got to work on some cool stuff while it lasted though...

TTYL!

Cliff

f14.jpg 

Reply with quote  #9 
Seeing this reminded me that in the mid-late 1990's NASA was commemorating their shuttle launches with 10 card (plus a cover card) mini sets. I think these were distributed around the NASA area somehow. I have 17 different sets and there could be more.
b1a.jpg 

Reply with quote  #10 
FWIW, SpaceX was given a card in the Ginter set a few years ago.  2016 Topps Allen & Ginter's #32 - Falcon 9 Rocket

[image] 

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

LuckyLarry

Reply with quote  #11 
The Space Shuttle Challenger was assembled and tested in Palmdale California. On July 1 1982 Challenger was transported via public roadways from Palmdale to Edwards AFB. At that time I lived in Lancaster, near 10th Street East (now called Challenger Way) and Avenue J, and my family and I walked over to watch it roll by.
On 1/28/86 Challenger exploded one minute and thirteen seconds after liftoff.
Larry
swarmee

Reply with quote  #12 
Larry, I was a 6-year old kid living near Daytona Beach, FL in 1986.  At the time, any shuttle launch would have standard operations of our elementary school having all kids go out to the play area and watch the takeoff.  Well, we watched the Challenger explode in front of our eyes.  Took a few years before another launch went up.

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.