Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #1 
I went to the PO with my two padded envelopes.

They wouldn't let me register them !!

Both clerks agreed that I need to use a white envelope or

priority mail box, then they'd register them.

I was so upset, I just came home.

In the past, I simply send out a single card in an envelope

or mult cards in priority mail boxes.

After I cool down, I'll decide what to do.....poor Dan..poor, poor Dan
Tom Boblitt
Reply with quote  #2 
for 22 of my 40 years. I also own a The UPS Store franchise, so I spend a lot of time shipping. I've also sold probably 10,000 or more items on ebay over the years since 1995 (mostly sports).

Although I'm somewhat biased towards UPS, I do ship most things via the post office--especially smaller cards or lower value smaller items. Just not feasible to pay $6-$8 for a one pound package to somewhere.

UPS becomes more feasible when you need insurance and/or tracking. Those you have to pay extra for and quite a bit extra with USPS.

Registered mail must be fully enclosed in the brown paper tape and is really only necessary for high $$ transactions. You can send $5K worth of stuff for probably $15-$18 or even less.

Certified mail just makes it where you have to sign for something. It is NOT insured though. If lost, you don't get nothing back....same with Delivery Confirmation. Just scanned at beginning and end (if you're lucky). Nothing intermediary so you don't really know WHERE it is. Just that it was finally delivered. UPS/FedEx/DHL all do intermediary hub scanning into/out of type stuff. Easier to track and figure out where the problems are.

No real solution on shipping though if you ask me. UPS and FedEx both have pretty stringent rules when it comes to insurance and paying claims, especially on one of a kind items or hard to replace items. Always save any receipts or ebay auction info if you have to prove value.

Sorry for the diatribe. If sending bigger items, bubble wrap and peanuts are imperative. No newspaper. It doesn't cushion like the other two.
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #3 
Periodically I will give the "last card of a set" free to collectors.
It goes back to the early days of my collecting, when that ole fart,
Marty Ballisteri<sp> would send me my LAST card free for my 1930s sets.

It didn't happen often, of course, but Marty would tell me to remember my
feelings and to "do the same" as I got to be an older collector. I never
questioned his motives. Those last cards meant the world to me.

My reason for posting is this. When sending a single card, which means
little to me but lots to the person receiving it, how should I send it.
I normally would use a plastic sleeve, then a hard sleeve, then a padded
envelope. I then would send it 1st "class, registered" OR "priority mail".

Can any of you help me ? I'd love to know the best way and just follow
through with it in the future. Actually I have two cards waiting to be
packaged right now !!!

<<aside to DaveG and ChuckR, before you write it,
........yes, I definately am an ole fart collector>>
Shawn Adkins
Reply with quote  #4 
Well Dan, first let me say that this is a very gracious gift to your fellow collectors. There is nothing like getting a card in the mail, unannounced especially, not to mention if it is a "set completer"!

I am personally a member of various card trading groups on the internet and one specifically shares this same "giving" mentality. From someone who has sent literally thousands of packages through the postal system with cards to fellow collectors this is how I go about my "work".

If sending a single card, I put it in a soft sleeve, then a hard plastic top loader with a little tape on the top so the card doesn't slide out and then attach my note inside. Packaging is a regular old mailing envelope via first class mail. If the card is really nice or overly expensive then I will use a padded envelope but mostly for singles I use the envelope method. Only one package has ever been damaged in shipping out of maybe 3000 or so, give or take.

When sending a few cards, I'll put them all in soft sleeves and then sandwich the cards between two empty top loaders that are taped together at the top/bottom/left/right and again, I'll use a puffy for bulkier or more valuable cards.

Hope this helps a little with your question.
Chuck Ross
Reply with quote  #5 
First, I'd like everyone to know that Dan has helped me finish sets numerous times in my collecting career. He is my collecting idol. Second, private message to Dan: The last card I need for my US Caramel Set is the McKinley.
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #6 
Shawn, I think this means you never register it or send priority mail ?
Mark Hellman
Reply with quote  #7 
Dan, because packaging methods are important to me both sending AND receiving.

Shawn said this: "If sending a single card, I put it in a soft sleeve, then a hard plastic top loader with a little tape on the top so the card doesn't slide out...."

I would add to that only by indicating that the single card, placed in a soft sleeve, is then inserted into the top loader OPEN END FIRST, so that if the card does slide a bit inside the soft sleeve it doesn't run the risk of having an edge stick to the tape. I've rec'd cards that way and have not been terribly pleased.

I usually always then pad the top loader with at least one piece of heavy cardboard, insert in a bubble mailer and ship with delivery confirmation.

I remember the "last card of a set" brotherhood; when I finally get that last card for a set from a seller (usually ebay) I let him know how pleased I am to be able to obtain this particular card to complete a long sought after set (hint hint) but the response is always "that's nice"....I'm glad to see the brotherhood mentality still exists somewhere.
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #8 
In line with that giving mentality, I'd like to invite any collector

of my era of cards, the 1948-1953 era, to send me their last needed card

for Hoppy(no foils pls), Freedom's War(no tanks, pls), Wild West, maybe

even Wildman, Bring em back alive, etc, etc, etc

The chances of me actually sending you your card is very good.

I've even taken a card from my set to send to collectors, thinking

I'd always be able to replace it.

I do apologize to RICHARD-- the one time I just couldn't take from my

set to finish his...I'll always regret it....and it will never happen

again. And Richard, if you send me your MM+Movie Stars wants, I'll send

you one from my dupes FREE (if I have it)(lesser cond, probably)

danster-nj@comcast.net is the magic email address
Dan Calandriello
Reply with quote  #9 
thanks, Mark...I think confirmation, first class is the way to go...

at least for the time being

headed to the PO right now....2 collecters will be glad to hear that.
Shawn Adkins
Reply with quote  #10 
Dan, the only time I ever use Priority is if I have "sold" a card (on ebay or elsewhere) or if I am trading cards and someone specifically requests this method.

As Mark alluded, it is best to put the open end of the soft sleeve into the top loader (read upside-down) so that the card is better protected from sliding out. I personally squeeze the top of the top loader before applying the tape and this also provides a "pinching effect" at the top which will NOT allow the card to slide out. I can do this to a top loader and actually through it at a brick wall (yes i've done this but don't know why) and the card will not come out or even get close to that top edge. I too have had cards delivered to me which had slid around and stuck to the tape on the top which is very frustrating.

Now with all of that said, everybody has their preference on mailing and packaging. I use the envelope method 9 times out of ten on a "gift" because we're not talking about a few cents difference in the two methods. Cost of an envelope and stamp are considerably less than a puffy, cardboard backer, priority shipping and the like. My personal experience has lead me to find ways to ensure safety without breaking the bank. I will reuse padded envelopes, keep top loaders, cardboard backing and other shipping supplies as they arrive in packages I've received.

Other methods that I use are to cut up a 9 pocket page into three strips (horizontally). I then put up to 9 cards in that strip (3 per pocket) and use a "chipboard" (basically a piece of cardboard cut a tad oversized) and stick both in a 24lb envelope which fits perfectly. Again, this is sent regular mail. You could even use the middle pocket of that 3 pocket strip and then fold one extra flap to the front and back for extra protection. Even add a few extra ad cards or something to protect the actual card.

Here's a few example scans.

This is our card in a sleeve, in a top loader, squeezed at the top with one little piece of tape. This card will NOT slide out.

This is an example scan after I threw the card down (on it's top edge) on my concrete floor in my basement, notice the toploader even cracked on the front and back but see the card...not even close to falling out. And I threw it pretty hard, I actually was supposed to sign on with a minor league team as a pitcher in my younger days but I wasn't much of a Braves fan.

This pictures shows the cut 9 pocket page, card board backing and a legal sized "heavy" envelope.

This last pictures shows the same card in the cut 9 pocket page with the left card folded to the top and the right card folded to the bottom in an effort to protect the middle (valuable) card. Just put some tape on the top and ship 'er out.

I will add that no cards were harmed in the creation of this post....but we did lose one top loader in the research effort, he will be remembered well as a true "warrior" in his own small way. And my apologies for using sportscards in my example, they were simply the closest thing when I reached for an example card.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.