Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
sb1

Reply with quote  #1 
Among a recent consignment for an upcoming auction I received a 1948 Topps Magic 5 cent pack 6-card panel. While I thought these were scarce, I never realized how scarce until I began to look for others and could only find a small number all from one find.

Are they really that scarce/rare?

Also shown is a copy of a Topps jobber flyer for the nickel packs when they came out. img116.jpg  img119.jpg  img120.jpg

sthoemke

Reply with quote  #2 
The single cards from the 5-cent packs are much scarcer than the cards from the 1-cent packs (the backs have the card # lines in different positions).

I'd suspect many of the 6-card panels may no longer exist.
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #3 

have only seen a couple.  Nice to have Ty Cobb on that one!

nscards

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice panel.

Can't help but bring up a few things about these that I've observed over the years (I'd love for any of these statements to be proven wrong):

1) No panels with any of the following eighteen 'Series 2' (J-T) cards exist: J-37 Claire Trevor, J-38 Constance Bennett, J-39 Gale Storm, J-40 Elyse Knox, J-41 Jane Wyatt, J-42 Whip Wilson, J-43 Charles Bickford, J-44 Guy Madison, J-45 Barton MacLane, K-19 Third Base - Cleveland Indians, Q-1 St. Louis University, Q-2 Long Island University, Q-3 Notre Dame, Q-4 Kentucky 58-42, Q-5 Depaul 75-64, R-3 Northwestern, R-4 Yale vs. Columbia, R-5 Cornell

2) Despite what the above advertisement suggests, no panels containing a 'Series 1' (A-H) card were ever issued.

3) Coincident with the above two observations, individual cards with obvious "nubs" (i.e. separated from panels) are only found in 'Series 2'

4) CONCLUSION: 6-card panels in this set were a 'Series 2' creation....

I'd also love for anyone with a 'Series 2' album to post nice images that demonstrate the differences between it and 'Series 1' (obviously starting with the inside cover).

Chris

Reply with quote  #5 
I think only the checklist inside the album is different between series 1 and 2 but I don't believe I have any hard evidence of that.  Those 5 cent panels from 48-51 Topps are brutal to find for the most part, with a couple exceptions like Freedom's War but Magic Photo might be the toughest. 18 missing over three panels?  Not sure if there's any different combos.

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.