Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #1 
I picked up one of these this week. It's a set that I have been working on for a while now and am surprised how infrequently I run across any that I need. Anyway, it got me wondering about the master set. I still need seven based on the checklist link below, however, other than a reference in the Benjamin books back in the 1980s to the George Washington $1 bill has anyone ever seen one? Do we know for sure that the Washington $1 bill exists?

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/R118/checklist.html
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #2 
Mine is a $1000 - but, more importantly, do you have a W.H. Harrison?

Reply with quote  #3 
I personally think the Washington $1 is an urban legend brought about in the following hypothetical phone conversation:

Collector A - "Hey Bill, I just completed my set of R118 Play Bucks and I bet my set is in better shape than yours!"

Collector B (thinking quickly and getting creative) - "Well, you're not so hot.  I bet you don't have the $1 Washington!"

Collector A - "The $1 Wa...???  Let me check.  No I don't have it.  Do you have a dup?"

Collector B - Hangs up feeling guilty about the fabrication.  "I'll call him next week and tell him there's no such thing."

Two days latter collector B is hit by a truck.

Or, maybe the $1 Washington is out there and incredibly rare.  If anyone has one it will be someone on this board.  Here's my W.H. Harrison (and no, I don't have a dup).  - Jack J.

WH Harrison play buck.jpg 

non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #4 
Jack, I like your theory. I also suspect that there is no Washington $1. No idea where Chris got that information. I have no doubt that he had great documentation but he seems to have disappeared some time ago so we will likely never know. Chris Watson left it out of the checklist in the NSB however Todd has mention of it in his database (no image though). If there isn't one then I only need six so I guess that's better than seven.

Mark,

WH Harrison is one of the six that I still need but at least we know that it exists. Some of these show up all the time and others seem to never show up. It's not a set that gets much respect, but I think that it's kind of cool. Love the president stuff.
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #5 
I have Harrison but no $1 Washington in my set.
fallbrookjack

Reply with quote  #6 
I believe a couple of play bucks came with the free pocket album.  These bucks were not folded like those from the gum pack, so I guess a true master set would have to include a complete set in both folded and unfolded bills.  - Jack J.
M@rk_F1nn

Reply with quote  #7 
For the "Master Set" what about the:

Hoover $1 9 Line
Hoover $100 9 Line
FDR $1 9 Line

And the "set" of errors:

Three_S.jpg

nscards

Reply with quote  #8 
Mark - 

So, the "errors" contain a complete orange circle overlapping the ribbon with the President's name? Wouldn't surprise me, if all of the Prez might be found this way (might not be common, but surely they wouldn't print only 3/32 with that flaw).

Chris

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.