Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #1 
Just wondering from many of you that may set up and sell at cards shows,and also those that are buyers how you prefer the table space to be set up.I have only been doing this non sport thing for a few years now.And when I set up I only have been taking complete sets.I have them all labelled on the album cover so it is very easy to read. But I believe that when this covit-19 is over and we get back into doing shows again.I think I would like to take a bunch of singles with me. So what do you do as a seller or what do you prefer as a buyer. I was thinking of just separating all my singles by year and putting each single in a softies and then fill up 9 pocket pages and filling up binders and labelling each binder with what is within that binder. Or would it be better to put the singles all in those card savers sleeves and have stacks of each set on my table.Maybe put the card savers in a box so people can flick through and see if I have anything they may want. I would thing that this may cause a lot of extra work.If you have everything in order ,then after the first buyer they are likely all out of order.So it means  you are always fiddling with the display.Since I do shows alone I want to try and keep the possibility of theft to a bare minimum. And we all know there are people that come to these things with the sole purpose of getting something for nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I know we are a ways away from doing shows in person.Or at least here where I live.Thanks.
JRhodes

Reply with quote  #2 
Mostly, I just prefer the table to be set up with all the cards I'm looking for, priced cheap! But as far as layout, I seem to have the best luck with the dealers who have their cards sorted by set, stacked in tabletop display cases, in rigid top loaders or Card Savers, bundled together with loose rubber bands. It helps if the dealer knows what's in each stack, but as long as he's willing to take it out and let me thumb through the stack, that works, too.

Binders are tougher because they take up so much space when opened, and they usually need to be laid on top of something (like a glass display case), which blocks others from the dealer's table and cards from view, though they can be useful for larger items like wrappers (and I've certainly never not bought a card just because it was in a binder).

Low-grade cards can be sold from a 2,500- or 5,000-count box, raw or in penny sleeves. Poor-condition cards can be thrown into a dollar box (or even a quarter box if they're more modern or in really rough shape) for people to have fun sorting through.

But then, I've only sold at a handful of shows in my entire life, and none of them have been in the 21st century, so maybe others will have different opinions. Good luck!
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #3 
I've been doing card shows since the 1980's. Jason has it right for all his suggestions. The way to sell singles is really based on the cards value. Vintage cards from the 60s on back usually warrant individual holders in stacks in display cases priced individually by condition. This is a lot of work but since the merchandise is more expensive it is the best way to protect the order and the condition of the cards. If you are selling lots of modern singles, my suggestion is to store them in monster boxes (3,000 count range - which aren't as heavy and awkward to handle as the 5,000 count ones) in alphabetical & numerical order (raw) with dividers with your prices. Keep these behind your table. When I have done this in the past I stack them on those portable plastic shelves you get at the hardware store. Then when someone comes up with a list, you pull out the box and have them read you their wants. You pull out the cards, that way you protect all your hard work on sorting them.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks to both of you. Some very good points. My singles will not be expensive cards.I do not have anything that I see as rare.
Most everything is from the 1950's to 1970.Do not have much after that.Thanks for the help.
jdm43

Reply with quote  #5 
As a buyer at shows, I would stress the need to show the prices on each card or on the stack if they're all the same. When they're not priced I'm reluctant to pull cards and I have to question the dealer frequently.

Jim Miller
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm43
As a buyer at shows, I would stress the need to show the prices on each card or on the stack if they're all the same. When they're not priced I'm reluctant to pull cards and I have to question the dealer frequently.

Jim Miller

Jim, what are your feelings about pricing on the back side of the top loader or card saver.When I search at shows I find that those big price tags take away from that first impression of the card.I certainly agree that everything should be prices. At least it creates a starting point in the negotiations. Thanks for your thoughts.
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #7 
I ignore tables that don't have prices on cards. 

Reply with quote  #8 
While I hate it when dealers don't price their cards (on the back is fine for me) I would not necessarily walk past a table that had cards that I need on it due to lack of pricing. Some of this stuff is so hard to find that I will invest the time with lazy dealers if it means that I may be able to cross off something from my ever growing want list.

That's just me though.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.