Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone explain what qualifies a card to be graded PSA authentic to me? I ask because of situations like the following:

About a year ago I purchased the two R75 cards in the image directly below from moderator Tom. My feeling is that they looked really nice and couldn't figure out why they only graded "authentic."

About 100 business days ago I made a bulk submission to PSA and tossed these two in after cracking out for resubmission. They came back as follows:

So that's a big bump up in grade. I'm not an investor and don't plan on ever selling anything in my core collection so I shouldn't really care but I have a natural suspicion of "authentic" cards; like they are altered or something. I just prefer numerically graded cards; even if they are 1s.

The real kicker for me is that I sent in a bunch of R3 cards and every single card came back authentic. I have 2s and 3s already slabbed and really thought that most, if not all, of the cards I sent in would be 2s and 3s. Bummer for me I guess as I won't be resubmitting such a sizable group hoping for better grades.

I also sent in about forty R722 Novel cards and only one came back authentic so it's not simply a case of having been torn off or cut off a candy box.

Not wanting to start another "grading sucks" or "PSA = Please Submit Again" or "why would you spend money on something so subjective" thread but if people want to go there I guess I can't stop them. I'm just wondering what makes something "authentic" as clearly I don't know.

P.S. that Noah's Ark Lion came back a 6 so that was nice.
JRhodes

Reply with quote  #2 
My understanding has always been that for hand-cut cards to be given a numerical grade, they have to be a certain minimum size, and the dotted lines (or border or nubs or whatever designates the edge of the card) have to be intact.

For the R75s, it could be that the first grader thought they had been cut off a box and, therefore, should have dotted lines on the other three sides. It looks like the grader on the re-submit understood they were strip cards and, thus, would have dotted lines on only one edge. I'm glad they came back the way they did; those are some of the best-condition R75s I've seen.
swarmee

Reply with quote  #3 
Previous answer is correct.  If those are the natural borders and the only place to cut was below the dotted line, since they're there in their entirety, they qualify for a number grade.  How's that for a grammatical sentence?
The other ones you submitted may have not met their minimum size for the grade, and since they were strip cards, get just Authentic rather than Authentic Altered.
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #4 
Jason and John,

I hear what you are saying, but it doesn't help me reconcile things. Here are examples of numerically graded R3 cards:

Here are cards typical of the thirty cards that I sent in receiving only authentic grades:

and the backs:

All four of the authentic cards have the nubs on the sides and are not smaller than the numerically graded cards. the backs are completely intact and clean. Maybe the difference is obvious to you guys but I'm not seeing it. Are you saying that PSA got the numerically graded cards wrong and they should be authentic? That wouldn't make me feel any better about the product that they are selling. I'd like to be able to submit and have some idea that what I'm going to get back will, at a minimum, be somewhat consistent regardless of grader or submission date.

I like aspects of grading but at the moment I'm feeling that PSA has a long way to go with regard to cards like this.
swarmee

Reply with quote  #5 
The ones with number grades were done 5 or so years ago.  So either they've changed their standards for that specific issue or they got your entire batch wrong.  Send them an email or call them, and ask about specifics.  If they graded them inaccurately in the first place (your 427... submission), I expect they would allow you to resubmit them for free as a "mechanical error."  
Your scans are not big/clear enough for me to see the difference.  If you show a single card per image, maybe I can see a difference if there is one.  As much as I would want PSA to be consistent in everything, they are not.  But they're usually willing to accept blame when they deserve it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.