Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
billirvap

Reply with quote  #1 
Have had a bit of success in finding examples of these stamps thanks to members of this forum. Still looking for the rest of the series, that I do not have. I do not even have an accurate checklist. Does anyone have any of these to sell? See photos of what they look like; same image as the T-58, only the backs are generic, the images are on gummed paper, and the edge of the 'card' is perforated, like a stamp. Anyone?

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpeg (807.22 KB, 11 views)
jpeg image.jpeg (798.40 KB, 12 views)

Matt_Z

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

What confirmed titles do you have on your current checklist?

A quick online search showed up 13 additional subjects to add to the 3 examples you show above.
Gives 16/25
Blackfish
Butterfish
Chub
Flounder
Goldfish
Lobster
Mackerel
Mullet
Perch
Porgy
Sardine
Searobin
Shad
Skate
Swordfish
Whitebait

vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #3 

Here's the ones in my collection so you can review titles.  In the future if you're looking for something be sure to put your wants in the buy/sell/trade section.

FYI,
Tom

zzz.jpeg 

zzz 2.jpeg 

vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #4 

Matt.....

Looks like you can add:

Pompano
Sunfish
Triggerfish
Whitefish

Pushing you to 20/25
No dupes here.......

Tom

billirvap

Reply with quote  #5 
O.K. Here is my verified checklist: sourced from past auctions, forum posts, etc;

Blackfish
Blowfish
Butterfish
Catfish
Chub
Flounder
Goldfish
Lobster
Mackeral
Mullet
Perch
Pompano
Porgy
Sardine
Sea Robin
Sea Bass
Shad
Skate
Sunfish
Swordfish
Triggerfish
Whitebait
Whitefish

That would be 23 of the 25 existing images. 2 unknown(?)
I am in search of MACKERAL , PERCH, SKATE, TRIGGERFISH, and the two unknowns.
forbesrs

Reply with quote  #6 
I can add Herring to the checklist as one of the two unknowns.

That leaves one unknown name, assuming they actually distributed exactly 25 subjects which may or may not be true...

Bob
billirvap

Reply with quote  #7 
Herring....... Great. And yes, I did wonder if they issued the entire 25....... then again, did they issue 26(?).
billirvap

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesrs
I can add Herring to the checklist as one of the two unknowns.

That leaves one unknown name, assuming they actually distributed exactly 25 subjects which may or may not be true...

Bob
billirvap

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you, Bob.......... Herring is added!
Matt_Z

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagenonsportschat

Matt.....

Looks like you can add:

Pompano
Sunfish
Triggerfish
Whitefish

Pushing you to 20/25
No dupes here.......

Tom

Thanks Tom
Matt_Z

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billirvap
Herring....... Great. And yes, I did wonder if they issued the entire 25....... then again, did they issue 26(?).

I assume Bob was inferring there may be more than 25. The baseball stamps state 100 designs on the back but more than that have been checklisted - I think approaching 120. 
billirvap

Reply with quote  #12 
Ha. More than the stated '25' designs. That would certainly complicate things(?). Certainly possible.
forbesrs

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes, for tobacco era issues it is not uncommon to find a different number of subjects than what is listed on the card back or coupon. There are several reasons for this.

First, the size of the printing sheets dictated how many cards (poster stamps, etc.) could be printed at one time. Each separate print run cost money. As a hypothetical example, four runs of 24 cards each gave them 96 cards which they figured was close enough to 100 to be satisfactory (remember, these were just free advertising pieces).

Second, they often did second print runs of some issues, sometimes substituting subjects in the second run (for whatever reason that was going through their mind...). Therefore, the first run might have had 25 subjects, the second run of 25 with one different subject included, and we would look at the series as having 26 subjects.

Third, as in this specific issue, the original T58 Fish series was issued earlier with the artwork of the first fifty subjects coming from the N8 series and another 50 subjects added. That meant that there were 100 designs to pick from to put together the T330-4 Art Poster Stamps Fish subset. Somebody could have just randomly picked a number of the fish to fill a print sheet that happened to have say 32 spaces and called it good.

Or, there could have been some serious thought and someone actually made some conscious decisions about which of the 100 should be in this exactly 25 subject series.

The trouble is, we will likely never know. If we can get to 25 titles on the checklist and nobody adds a new one for a long time, then we can be somewhat confident that the total is set. However, as these are lightly collected and not well researched you still can never say that there isn't a batch of another 14 subjects sitting in someone's dusty drawer somewhere!

And that uncertainty is one of the joys and frustrations of collecting stuff in the tobacco era...

Bob

billirvap

Reply with quote  #14 
Thank you, Bob for your insights....... and now I am going round hoping that these were, in fact, printed beyond the 25 advertised images......... which I do not currently have, but I am working on it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.