Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Promethius88

Reply with quote  #1 
Just happened to notice the link to this forum on Net54 for the first time today.  Nice to see there is a non-sport forum....although I've never really looked for one.  While I'm mainly a sport card collector, I do like some of the non-sports cards.  Actually, I think the artwork is greatly superior on non-sports stuff.  I guess what spiked my interest was the 62 Civil War cards.  I ran into a complete set in a collection and ended up subbing them all.  The artwork was amazing.  Anyhow, I pick a few of those up from time to time and usually end up selling them off.  Waiting for a couple to come back from grading tomorrow.  Also had a set of the 1972 US. Presidents.  Of course, there are what 2 or 3 US Presidents sets before this one. Maybe one day.  
So, I make a run every weekend to see my mother who is in assisted living.  I always stop at a local card shop and buy stuff.  I ran across a box that the owner had with some nice 1948 boxing cards.  She forgot she had them.  The guy that sold them to her a few years back was the original owner and told her that his father wouldn't let him play with them when he opened the packs when he was a kid so they sat in a drawer.  The same went with some other cards that were in the box.  A small handful of 52 Topps Wings and then saw some cards I wasn't familiar with.  They were 1949 Bowman America Salutes the FBI.  I didn't get a look at them with my loupe but they looked sharp.  In my research, doesn't look like there are a ton of people into this set nor do they sell for a ton but I though they were interesting.  Hoping I can work out a deal and pick them up when I go there tomorrow.  Is there anyone here that collects them or has additional info on the set? 
Thanks and I look forward to reading some interesting posts!
Tim 
swarmee

Reply with quote  #2 

Welcome Tim. 
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,=1949+America+Salutes+the+FBI+-+Heroes+of+the+Law+-+~5bBase~5d,ot,i100

Here are some of them.  The Sold Outs went for about $15 each.  Bowman nonsports just don't seem to have the following of the Topps sets.

And I presume you've seen this:
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/non-sports-cards/1949-bowman-america-salutes-f-b/27752

Has this interesting nugget: "The cards are sometimes found with incorrect backs belonging to cards from other Bowman sets."

Based on the Pop Report, #25 Nazi Spy has been submitted most.

And looks like High Grade collector PSUinCT is going to be passed this year for #1 on the registry.

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

Promethius88

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, I had check the pop report and the set registry but I didn't see the other link you posted about the set itself.  Very interesting.  I didn't check COMC either but looks like they are asking a lot for pretty crappy cards.  Hoping a can make a deal tomorrow and bring be able to post some pics tomorrow!
Promethius88

Reply with quote  #4 
Well, didn't get to see the cards.  The shop owner left them at home.  Had taken them home to price for me.  Oh well, says she will ship them to me on Monday so hopefully soon!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.