Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #1 
Have you guys seen one before? Of either one? Not mine BTW - neither one [frown]

Attached Images
jpeg tickets - 55.jpg (13.41 KB, 33 views)
jpeg naps.jpg (120.29 KB, 34 views)

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #2 
That box is great!

Reply with quote  #3 
Nope! - very nice box
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow Henry! Do you have a scan of the back of the coupon?

Never seen a H. Terry London depot (of A&G) coupon. I wonder if Joe G has seen one?

I've not found any evidence of the 1888-1890 litho A&G cards in London, but I guess they must have been distributed here in the UK. Henry Terry was busy printing A&G (N68) Woodburytype cards around 1886-1888.

Napoleon cigarettes were advertised in the UK, through Terry, in 1882, alongside the launch of Our Little Beauties and the first UK A&G insert cards, N57 - type 2.

I've just done a quick search and the Napoleon cigarettes appear to be UK-based and nothing comes up for US adverts. 

Are the coupon and the cigarette box from the same seller, placing the box in the UK too?

The Napoleon cigarettes were in the A&G 1881 catalogue, here (see post #13):
https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/archived-old-content-on-this-site-missing-photospictures-10392124?pid=1310495973

Here's the relevant A&G 1881 catalogue page, plus a couple of clippings from an 1882 advert for the N57 (type 2) "pictures in every packet", with Napoleon cigarettes advertising.

Napoleon.jpg 
Napoleon 1882.jpg 

Napoleon 1882 clipping.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #5 
pretty sure they were not from the same source - the coupon is what I really wanted to show as I've seen MANY but never another of these! I wish either Joe or I owned it :-)

I'll go back and see if I have the other side but it wasn't together with this one....

Reply with quote  #6 
nope. no verso. I think I got that image like 8 years ago.... I'm still going thru files so I'll lyk if I find one. Likely there was only that side....

Reply with quote  #7 
Well that is pretty interesting Henry.  That would be the only Ginter coupon I'm aware of that I don't have.  Actually, I could extend that to Duke, Kinney, Kimball, and Goodwin (the big 5 that formed the ATC).  Looks like I need to watch the UK listings a little closer in hopes of finding one.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
tm

Reply with quote  #8 
Henry - Very nice picture of the Ginter pack.  Any info on the year Ogden's bought the Ginter name for the UK?  Maybe I missed it, if so sorry.  I wonder if the cigarettes changed.  Thanks,  tm
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #9 
Ted good to see you posting :-) Hope you are feeling better? In any event I really can't answer that - missed it I guess.

Reply with quote  #10 
Henry - Was that the precursor to the Napoleon Little Cigars that subsequently issued cards as part of the T207 set once it was acquired by the ATC.  I believe I have the only known Napoleon slide and shell box, although I've been told another may exist but I've never seen a photograph of it.  FWIW, this box was found during renovations of a church in Boston, and still had a Napoleon backed T207 inside the box.

FullSizeRender1221.jpg  FullSizeRender2222.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.