Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
capybara

Reply with quote  #1 
The card shown below (with an apology for my substandard attempt at photography) appeared to be unidentifiable because the name of the man shown, as is so often the case with these cards, is blurry and illegible, however, the word "Chief" was discernible. Given that a card for John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, is already known in this series, I decided to look through some photos of 19th century Chief Justices and my brief search was rewarded with the discovery of a very similar image to the one shown on this card. The man shown here is Morrison Waite and he was the 7th Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, appointed by President Grant in 1874 and serving until his death in 1888. Whether his term in this office coincides with the unknown date of issue for this series or whether his inclusion implies that there are currently undiscovered Sub-Rosa cards for the Chief Justices numbered 2-6 remains to be seen.

WIN_20190325_13_10_05_Pro (2).jpg 

vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #2 

Phenomenal discovery and sleuthing capabilities.  I sold my John Jay when I sold off my type card collection a couple years ago.  Would love to see others.............

DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #3 
          Any comments  or additions  ?

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N637/go.html
egbeachley

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice. I bet there is no 2-6. You have the famous #1 and the guy on the court when the set was produced.
DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #5 
Doe this work for anyone as  N637  ?   William Henry Harrison

harrison.png 

capybara

Reply with quote  #6 
Despite the title of the N637 series, I believe this William Henry Harrison card should be properly included as part of the N504 series where Presidents Jefferson and Madison are already known.
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #7 

I would agree to N504 and BEAUTIFUL card...........

Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #8 
James Polk

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1880s-1800s-sub-rosa-cigarettes-1817371059

1880s-1800s-sub-rosa-cigarettes_1_0eabf20cb361ceaf24099e68031174ad[2].jpg 

Reply with quote  #9 
Here is a president Grant that I would definitely call a N637.  Font is the same and is the same 
design as the John Jay.  The N504's seem to have that oval shape towards the bottom of the picture.  This one sold a while back at Sterlings for a handsome price.  I remember bidding on it but it reached out of my range at the time. DSC05941.jpg 

Reply with quote  #10 
      Thanks, Jerry      http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N637/go.html
DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #11 
     So what set does Polk reside ?
jbnonsport

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Dan,

I would say the Polk fits in the N504 set, but that is just my opinion, who really knows what was going on in Burdick's mind or what cards he had available at the time of his assigning catalog #'s.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.