Author   Comment  
DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #1 
       Received from Monty Barrie.
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N343-1/go.html

N343-1-3.png

Martin Murray

Reply with quote  #2 
There are actually 12 known. Miss Eastlake?
DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks...file corrected...credit given....
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #4 
Martin, good point on the N343-1 Eastlake. This card has been a mystery to me for years. On page 74 of the ACC (pictured) Burdick has no mention of Eastlake and has the N343 Type 1 set complete at 11. Was this card added later? I have been collecting all of the Hall's issues for several years now and have done quite a bit of research. I do not know anybody that has seen this card or can verify the cards existence with a picture. I am also unsure of a few of the N342's that cannot be verified. The N342-3A Mathilde Cottrelly was put to rest a couple of years ago. This card had a mention of the card "Not Studied" next to her name in the ACC. Nobody had ever seen one or could verify it's existence so it was no longer on collectors want lists and is correctly not listed on Todd's site. Martin, could you verify the existence of any of these 6  N342 cards?

N342 - 3A : Loie Fuller, Louise
N342 - 3D : Vernona Jarbeau, Miss Williamson
N342-5 : Miss Georgia Cayvan as "May Blossom", Miss Madison

I am 99% sure Williamson does not exist as only pictures from styles 1C & 2 were included in the N342-3D style. Williamson was only in N342-3A. Anyway, as in the case of N343 Eastlake, I need help in verifying these other 6 N342 cards to prove that they do indeed exist. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing a website on all of the Hall's issues this year since there are no guides that actually have a number even close to actual number of cards in the N342 card, and no accurate price guides. There are 675 cards in the N342 set, not including the "Hall's at Top" style, or any back variations (Smoke Hall's on back or blank backs). The card values totally depend on the style as some of the cards from any of the 6 series N342-3A to N342-5 can be very difficult to locate. After years of persistence, patience, and money I am up to 644 different N342's along with all of the "Hall's at Top" and 7 of the back variations. My want list is in the Buy/Sell/Trade section from a couple months back. Have picked up a few of those since. I will give more updates on my Hall's website in the coming months. Would love to add more pictures of cards with "Smoke Hall's" backs.

Monty IMG_4040.jpg 

Martin Murray

Reply with quote  #5 
Monty, you are wrong to say that no guide has been published. My reference book N.151 (see above) lists all recorded Hall Actress cards. Do remember that Burdick could only list what he knew, and that the hobby has moved on since then. I can confirm that Cayvan and Madison exist. And I do have Eastlake in my own collection. Incidentally, as an ex-dealer I do not think that prices should be included, since they date the work and could involve considerable work in amending; it would be better to assign a "scarcity factor". With Eastlake at the top?
Martin Murray
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #6 
Martin, thank you for the N342 & N343 info. I can now cross 2 more N342's off of the unverified list. Now I just have 4 more to verify. Also, your verification of the N343 Eastlake brings that mystery to a halt. I should have stated that I was "not aware" of any accurate guides for the N342's instead of "there are no" accurate guides. I will definitely have to pick up a copy of your book. I would love to see scans of the 3 cards you mentioned, if possible. That would close out all of the N342-5 (Tiled Walls) in which all 52 are now verified, and the final N343 for Net54's world class gallery. I would eventually like to add pictures to my site as I plan on picturing every known card along with a short bio of each actress/actor in regards to their career in Theater, etc. Any Hall's info or scans can be sent to montybarrie@aol.com. All contributors will be given credit on the site.

Thanks, Monty
DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #7 

a beauty from Martin Murray....

12.png 

wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #8 
Great looking card Martin!!!!!  Thank you very much for posting. The N343's in the Gallery are now officially complete.

Monty

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.