Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #1 
I have 8 new additions to the N334 S.F. Hess "Actresses" series. In the guide of American Tobacco Cards there were only 3 known examples. The 8 cards pictured below can now be added to the checklist : MARY ANDERSON, MAGGIE ARLINGTON, HELEN BANCROFT, ZELIE De LUSSAN, LILLIAN GRUBB, ELSIE JEROME, SADIE MARTINOT, VIENNA FENCERS. In addition, there are examples of Frankie Kemble & Geraldine Ulmar on Todd's wonderful site non-sport.com. This brings the total now from 3 to 13. Here is the updated checklist :

MARY ANDERSON
MAGGIE ARLINGTON
ANNIE BALDWIN
HELEN BANCROFT
ZELIE De LUSSAN
LILY ELTON
LILLIAN GRUBB
ELSIE JEROME
FRANKIE KEMBLE
SADIE MARTINOT
NEVADA
GERALDINE ULMAR
VIENNA FENCERS

I am hoping this will be helpful in adding to the lists of Tim & Chris. Also, I am hoping Todd will add these to his site. All we need now is pictures of Annie Baldwin & Nevada. Can anybody else out there add to this list?

Monty

IMG_1571.jpg  IMG_1579.jpg  IMG_1587.jpg  IMG_1594.jpg  IMG_1602.jpg  IMG_1613.jpg  IMG_1626.jpg  IMG_1632.jpg  IMG_1640.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #2 
Its amazing what people are finding from 130+ years ago.

The CSGB CRB 151 also records only 3 known examples.

The last photo looked interesting, the "Vienna Fencers". Just done a quick search and they seemed to have the height of their fame in 1888 and 1889, tailing off in 1890/91. I would guess this pinpoints these cards around 1888/1889.

Here's some clippings from 1888:

vienna fencers.jpg

Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #3 
The one in the upper left is Marie Jansen.

[cigarette-tobacco-cards-actress-women_1_3ebae19a412ee1ea9d400188fafbb771][cigarette-tobacco-cards-actress-women_1_3ebae19a412ee1ea9d400188fafbb771]
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cigarette-tobacco-cards-actress-women-505867696

Reply with quote  #4 
I have added these to the database:

http://www.non-sport.com/sets/3012

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Billy for coming up with one more addition to the checklist. Also, thanks Tim for the cool info on the Vienna Fencers. I was wondering why they were labeled "Fencers". I did not see swords in their hands. I received 2 more scans of new discoveries from Marty, along with 2 others from Marty. I have included pictures of all 4. The 2 unrecorded cards are Isabella Irving & Fannie Rice. I also noticed I never included pictures of the backs so I have also included that. With 3 more new additions to the checklist we have now gone from 3 to 16. WOW! Updated checklist below :

MARY ANDERSON
MAGGIE ARLINGTON
ANNIE BALDWIN
HELEN BANCROFT
ZELIE De LUSSAN
LILY ELTON
LILLIAN GRUBB
ISABELLA IRVING
MARIE JANSEN
ELSIE JEROME
FRANKIE KEMBLE
SADIE MARTINOT
NEVADA
FANNY RICE
GERALDINE ULMAR
VIENNA FENCERS

Oddly, the only 2 we are missing pictures from now are 2 of the 3 original cards that were listed in the guide of American Tobacco Cards - Annie Baldwin & Nevada.
Anybody out there have either of these?

Todd, please add Jansen, Irving, and Rice to your site. Once these are added, I believe he will have 14 of the 16 pictured.

Also, Dan I believe we have enough of these now to make it worth adding to our world class gallery here.

Monty pic1.jpg  pic2.jpg  IMG_1647.jpg  IMG_1624.jpg 

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #6 
All 3 have been added.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.