Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
bcornell

Defender & Offender
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm still smarting from losing out (okay, coming in 5th place) on a beautiful raw N138 Tricks with Cards "Caught On The Fly" that closed on eBay a few days ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-138-Duke-Tobacco-Tricks-With-Cards-/264550602970?nma=true&si=M5WW%252FZX10qG68JPUXodzE%252BAkU6A%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true.  $214 (!) took it after a bunch of high-feedback types weighed in.  Images of this gorgeous card are below.

I love this set.  It's essentially a 24 "chase card" set, since the backs don't match the fronts and you need 'em all to figure out how to do the tricks.  The lithography done by Giles for this set is, arguably, as good or better than any other 19th c. set.  That's saying something.

Forbes & Mitchell note that this is one of the tougher Duke sets and I would fully agree.  I have ~20 of them, most in deplorable shape, but I'm glad to have them.

n138_caught-on-the-fly_(sold for $214).jpg  n138_caught-on-the-fly_back.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
Beautiful card Bill - I've admired this set from afar.  Good luck completing it.

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #3 
always a difficult set and this one was WAY above average, for sure.  Always strong bidding when these come up.....

bcornell

Defender & Offender
Reply with quote  #4 
I have a page on my website with images of the cards I have: https://thetraderspeaks.com/n138-tricks-with-cards/.  A few dupes in there, if anyone is interested.

This is such a tough set.  We go months and months without seeing one on eBay. When I got interested in it a few years ago, I quickly got caught up on Burton Sperber: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?n=burton-s-sperber&pid=153970397.  He was a legend as a magic collector and this set was one of his favorites.

A few more examples

[n138_vital-cards_both]  [n138_mysterious-confederacy_both]

Reply with quote  #5 
Sperber's set sold here .  With premium, it went for over $4000.  About 15 years ago, Bonham's sold a set for $400 or so.  And 7-8 years ago, one of the prominent card auction houses (REA?) sold a set, but I con't remember the amount.

(and not related to anything, Sperber's daughter was the actress Wendi Jo Sperber.)
Ten Million

Reply with quote  #6 
There's one misidentified by PSA and seller as N125 puzzles on eBay. Been there awhile.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.