Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
LuckyLarry

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been trying to complete a set of Fleer Kustom Cars for three or four years now. At our monthly show this past Saturday my dealer friend Robert A (who is a Wrapper Advertiser) had a little surprise for me with these three cards to complete my set. The price was so good I bought all the duplicates he had too (all Series II cards)!
Weird cut and all I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

Larry

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #2 
Larry,
Nobody appreciates how tough those puzzle backs are (I can't find "Grecian" for my own set). To make matters worse, most come with multiple puzzle piece backs. I have no idea what a master set would be.

Reply with quote  #3 
Some recent for me (not all June, but close)...

Found a group of Disney Glass-Pal stickers from Cheerios at the flea mkt..

IMG_5301.jpg 

Some Invisible Color Cut-Outs from bread (1920's era)...
IMG_5291.jpg 

A nice group of Trog-lo-dyte candy boxes to help with my master set (46 diff w/2 different backs):
IMG_5292.jpg  IMG_5293.jpg 

Some National Defense D59 bread cards from my favorite bakery...
IMG_5294.jpg 

Bohack bakeries (what a name!)...
IMG_5295.jpg 

A nice lot of Goudey Auto License plates (some from all 4 series)...
IMG_5296.jpg 

A complete set of Topps X-Ray roundup cards (with unopened pack)...
IMG_5297.jpg 

Complete set of Beatles Plaks (most of these look like they came right out of a pack)...
IMG_5298.jpg 

Complete set of low number Sea Raiders + a few high numbers...
IMG_5299.jpg 

Some colored border Zoom Airplane cards...
IMG_5300.jpg 

Henry was talking about trade cards and I picked up several hundred in a scrapbook...
(I'll just show a few highlights of my favorite ones)
IMG_5302.jpg 

The lithography work on many of these is by the same companies that did the tobacco and coffee cards in the late 1800's...
IMG_5303.jpg 

I like the coloring and design on many of these...
IMG_5304.jpg 

IMG_5305.jpg 

I'm a big fan of the spool cotton cards...
IMG_5306.jpg 

More neat ones (some with pretty women)...
IMG_5307.jpg 

These shaped Acorn Stove cards were neat...
IMG_5308.jpg 

A group of comic ones...
IMG_5309.jpg 

More comic ones with some flower girls...
IMG_5310.jpg 

More comic ones...
IMG_5311.jpg 

There were several mechanical ones...
(closed)
IMG_5312.jpg 

(opened)
IMG_5313.jpg 

There were several tobacco related ones...
(some cigar box labels)
IMG_5314.jpg 

(more cigar box labels)
IMG_5320.jpg 

Some Arm & Hammer soda cards and misc. tobacco...
IMG_5315.jpg 

(here are the backs of the Fable cards)
IMG_5316.jpg 

A few larger Old Judge cards...
IMG_5317.jpg 

And lastly, some "Main Line" cigar cards...
IMG_5318.jpg 

Reply with quote  #4 
Some nice trade cards there. Just sharing my Main Line cigars store card to go with your trade cards :-)Scan_20190605 (2).jpg 

Reply with quote  #5 
Henry,
Thanks for sharing. She's a real beauty!

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-sport.com
Some recent for me (not all June, but close)...

A complete set of Topps X-Ray roundup cards (with unopened pack)...
IMG_5297.jpg 

Complete set of Beatles Plaks (most of these look like they came right out of a pack)...
IMG_5298.jpg

Todd, where do you find these? I'm so jealous! Love the Beatles Plaks and X-Ray Roundup groups!

Reply with quote  #7 
Lonnie,
Unfortunately, I can't tell you as then I would never have anything to post in the pick up threads.

Reply with quote  #8 
Nice job on the Beatles Plaks, Todd! Singles seem more plentiful than they once were, but I seldom see them offered as a set. I wonder how many complete sets are even out there.
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #9 
After a light month last month I did a bit better this month:

Started off with a group of Topps Planes red backs. I'm up over 100 now so slowly making progress. Also two more R26 Boy Scouts; I like these cards (but then again what cards don't I like?).

Made good progress on R129 with this group. Needed all but three to fill slots and upgrade a couple.

I wasn't really working on R152 Tootsie Circus but I guess that I am now. These were all in decent shape.

I started R25 Thrilling Stories two months ago. I'm up to six now. I really wanted the lot in Goldin but not enough to keep raising the bids. I'll have to settle for onsie twosie for now.

Two R34 Commando Ranger upgrades, An R11 AIA that I needed, and two R47 Shelby Fighting Planes that are upgrades for me

In light of all the crap that's going on with graded cards I hesitated to post these, but I like posting all my pickups so here are two Mars Attacks. I'm nearing the halfway point on it now.

I picked up a really cherry group of these R155 Magic cards. I was surprised how thin the stock is (it's literally paper). I remember back in 2016 Uber collector Jack J picking up a group of twenty of these with the original mailer. I also remember a discussion on how some of the cards appeared to be missing the red pass. The four of mine that are missing the red are the same four of Jack's that are missing the red. See this thread: https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/january-pickups-9583781?trail=25 and this one https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/r155-mystery-gum-magic-tricks-9583851?pid=1302538434. Makes me wonder if all of these are available with the "normal" card stock or if some are only available on the paper stock (which I am assuming was only used on the mailed cards and not in packs?). I don't see any sign of any offer on the wrapper. Anyway, here they are:

The next several pictures are all R73 IGs and bring me up to 384 in my master set efforts.

First two images are all series of 288s

Series of 24 on top and series of 264 on the bottom

Series of 48 blue strips

Series of 48 red strip from the 25-48 series. I can't stress how hard this group is (which is why I'll take anything for a space filler)

Series of 192 "more cards" and Series of 192 "more"

Series of 312 white background, a Series of 312 scenes, two Series of 48 from the 1-24 series, and a Series of 48 low skip number

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #10 
Daniel,
Sweet pickups!

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-sport.com
Daniel,
Sweet pickups!

Certainly are - you and Todd picked up a lifetime of stuff this month!  I think the Andes cards are some of the nicest issued in that era.

Reply with quote  #12 
Wings.jpg 
Picked these up today

Promethius88

Reply with quote  #13 
A couple Cameron and Sales Warships

Camer.jpg 

Promethius88

Reply with quote  #14 
And these....not sure what they are???  Anything to do with the Topps Wings???

Planes.jpg  Planes1.jpg 

non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #15 
Those airplanes are R10 Cameron Sales. Much older than the Topps Wings set. Entire set can be seen here http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/R10/go.html 
Promethius88

Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you!!
volin70

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks for posting all those great cards!
toppcat

Reply with quote  #18 
I'll never keep up with Todd's pickups but added another ten Love/Mod Initials recently.  28 to go for the full set.  Here's my favorites from this latest batch:

more mod.jpg 

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
fallbrookjack

Reply with quote  #19 
I picked up these eight "Famous Film Stars" distributed compliments of Sherman's Pools Ltd.  I live in Fallbrook in North San Diego County, so when I saw "Cardiff" I naturally thought of "Cardiff By The Sea", a small coastal town a little South West of here.   After some closer scrutiny, I now think they are talking the capital of Wales.  I've concluded this because the physical characteristics of Pracilla Lane are described as, blue eyes, 5 feet 2.5 inches tall, weight 7 stone 4 pounds.  Doesn't sound like how we weigh young ladies around here.  Based on the films referenced, I'd place them from 1939/1940.  They are 3.75 inches by 5.25 inches on thick paper stock.

Anyone have any information about these?  Thanks - Jack J.

Famous Film Stars - Shermans Pools 001.jpg 
Famous Film Stars - Shermans Pools 002.jpg 
Famous Film Stars - Shermans Pools 003.jpg 

Matt_Z

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallbrookjack

Anyone have any information about these?  Thanks - Jack J.

It is a UK issue as you suggested. Issued in 1940 as a set of 8, so you have a complete set.

wdmullins

Reply with quote  #21 
A nice stack of Bowman Power for Peace.  I liked all their plain photo sets from that era.

[image] 
DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-sports daniel
Those airplanes are R10 Cameron Sales. Much older than the Topps Wings set. Entire set can be seen here http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/R10/go.html 

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/R10/go.html

boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #23 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallbrookjack
the physical characteristics of Pracilla Lane are described as, blue eyes, 5 feet 2.5 inches tall, weight 7 stone 4 pounds.  

Reminds me of a song:

She wheels her wheelbarrow

Through streets that are narrow,

Her barrow is narrow, her hips are too wide.

So wherever she wheels it,

The neighborhood feels it,

Her girdle keeps scraping the homes on each side.

In Dublin's fair city,

Where girls are so pretty,

My Molly stands out 'cause she weighs 18 stone.

(That's 256 pounds.)

I don't mind her fat--but,

It's not only that--but,

She's cockeyed and muscle-bound, Molly Malone.

--Shticks and Stones, Allan Sherman

We can be heroes, just for one day
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Tdorsay

Reply with quote  #24 

My first 2 1956 Round Up (aka Western Round Up) set.

I was sent these as a bonus in a trade a while back and fell instantly in love with them. They are a bit beat up but I don't care as they are now a part of my "Every-O-Pee-Chee-Ever-Issued/Released" impossible quest as the cards were released in Canada with O-Pee-Chee branded packaging. So these could have been from north or south of the border 53 years ago, but they are staying north for now.

It's cool the 2 cards I was sent are sequential as well 53, & 54.
53 - Back - The Raid.jpg  53 - Front - The Raid.jpg  54 - Back - Crossfire.jpg  54 - Front - Crossfire.jpg 

JRhodes

Reply with quote  #25 
I forgot to say in my previous post, congrats, Larry! And as always, Daniel and I are of the same mind when it comes to our collecting interests. I really like those magic cards and had no idea they came in a paper stock as well as cardboard.

Here are my pickups so far this month:

IMG_1223.jpg 
Some years ago, when I got back into collecting non-sports cards after a brief hiatus, I made a list of all the type cards I wanted to go after, including most of the Topps test series. At the time, there was a Topps "Flipper" available on eBay as a BIN (maybe this exact one... I don't remember). It stayed there for three or four years at a price I couldn't come close to touching at the time. I made a few offers during those years, and the seller tried to work with me, but we were lightyears apart. Flash forward to last week, and I BINed this "Flipper" within seconds of it popping up in my eBay searches... for nearly twice what the seller was asking for it back then! How often does one get the chance to cross a regret off his list?

Also, Horrors of War with overprint back and a scarce Riddle Gum card to go with the wrapper I picked up around the same time I couldn't afford the "Flipper" card.

IMG_1226.jpg 
Bell Brand Potato Chips "Crusader Rabbit" coloring cards panels uncut from tray

IMG_1221.jpg 
I love this Soupy Sales wallet! But what does a wallet have to do with non-sports cards, you ask?

IMG_1222.jpg 
There's a reprint of a Topps card on the back! I was hoping it might come with the original wallet insert, as well, which was a blank-backed paper variant of the Soupy Sales Topps cards, but no such luck. It did contain an ID card with the original owner's name and address on it (da Bronx) and a commemorative medallion from the 1970 dedication of a Catholic church in New York.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.