Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
I was delighted to pick up these 10 trade/advertising cards recently. I can't find any reference to them in the World Tobacco Index. Has anyone seen these cards before?

I was just as delighted to find some great photos in the John Gernert (1848-1911) ancestry tree - scroll down to see more.

Here's the checklist of 10 known cards, measuring 107x58mm (slight size variations on each card). They all have  the same back:

A STERN REALITY
BREAK DOWN
EARS FOR MUSIC
GIVING HIM A RAISE
HEEL AND TOE
HERE'S TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
SOLID COMFORT
STUCK FAST
STUMP SPEAKER
THE NAUGHTY RAT

JG1.jpg  JG2.jpg  JG3.jpg  JG4.jpg 

A nice photo of John Gernert and his wife Wilhelmina - around the early 1900s. Notice that he was known as Gernert, not Gernerts (on the card), as his anglicised surname, from German.

John and Wilhelmina Gernert.jpg 

A picture of his shop in Somerville, New Jersey, from the 1890s. I'm pretty sure that's John Gernert third of the four men.

Shop.jpg 

And a bit later he passed the business to his three sons and renamed it to Gernert Bros Inc. John Gernert died in 1911, so I'm not sure if this is a pre or post 1911 photo of the Gernert Bros shop:

Shop Bros.jpg 

Anyone notice what's in the window on the right? See the blown up photo below, of some Between The Acts (ATC) advertising from around 1910:

BTA.jpg 

As far as I can tell, he only owned one shop, but it seemed to run successfully for over 40 years in Somerville.

John Gernert's obituary from May 1911 is shown below. The three sons were Jacob Henry, John Jnr, Columbus Stigler.

John Gernert obituary 1911.jpg 

MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #2 
Those are exceptionally cool

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice cards Tim. Not seen all of those examples before or any previously with John Gernerts advertising but have seen some with different advertising.

[s-l1600]
[s-l1600]
Early Breakfast Stove Victorian Trade Card Poem Man Cat | Vintage ...American Sewing Machine, Giving Him A Raise Trade Card Victorian Sewing Machines, Giving, Vintage Sewing, Couture, American, Sketches, Cards, Ebay, Souvenirs[s-l1600]
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Matt - really useful to see these other cards.

Overnight it did strike me these looked like 'stock cards', due to the way the front printing was slightly mis-aligned on each card.

I've looked a bit closer at the cards and there is a very small description of the printer, which is "Copyrighted Bufford, Boston". You can't make it out on the scans very clearly.

John Bufford and, later, his sons, ran a lithographic company from 1836 through to 1911. In Jay Last's book, it says that John Bufford was one of the key lithographers in pre-Civil War America. His sons Frank and John Jnr became partners in 1865. After John Bufford's death in 1870 … "the brothers continued the business, primarily producing large numbers of stock cards of deceasing quality".

Bufford.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #5 
Tim with all these photographs you post - it came to mind I didn't see yours in the gallery. Despite none of us having the commanding screen presence of pretty boy MahT - most of us have posted our pix.. I have heard through the super secret political grapevine that there's a strong push to nominate you for NSOY and the everyday peeps what frequent this place should have an idea what you look like - you know - to prop up the female vote :-)

Reply with quote  #6 
"the brothers continued the business, primarily producing large numbers of stock cards of deceasing quality".

The truth be told - they were always a lower end lithographer in an age where some great artistic work was being produced. Most examples I've seen are primitive in design and generally they were of a comical nature....

edited to add: While I collected trade cards for a while and saw many - don't recall seeing any of your posted examples. I also can't recall ever seeing an example of the large round between the acts tins shown in the window which is quite surprising given the volume of tins I've seen or studied. Perhaps they are just cardboard advertising pieces made for display. Love the second store photo - quality image for all the inclusions.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.