Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #1 

Not sure if everyone caught it, but there was an incredible lot of Sporting Extra cards by Kinney Tobacco that closed out on eBay recently.  They totaled (11) cards, most of which were not cataloged in the WTI to my knowledge.  I was able to hold them at the National and look through them and they were really amazing.  They didn't go undetected on ebay as the lot sold for $4600+, so the boxing collectors were in full force.  Anyway, just wanted to drop these pictures out here for anyone who appreciates these.  The bulk of the cards in the set are actresses, and this is a nonsport board but they were just amazing cards...........

246.1.jpg  246.2.jpg  246.3.jpg  246.5.jpg  264.4.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #2 
what diligent searcher didn't see these :-) - especially since they languished in the listing so low and for so long! My bid wasn't going anywhere.

Reply with quote  #3 
Is there a known checklist for N246? (anywhere)

I don't see the set listed in the Gallery.

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/z-ns-start/all-kinney.html
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #4 
http://www.non-sport.com/sets/2970

Reply with quote  #5 
I didn't see this group but do have an affinity for boxing cards. These are tobacco and photographs so I don't think I would ever be interested in it; still, they are way cool.

I don't search any sports categories but don't consider boxing cards sports cards. If it's not baseball, football, basketball, and hockey then it's a non-sports card set. I guess that's why I have a few early boxing sets.

Thanks for posting them Tom. Has anyone sent this information to Martin Murray?
butcher354435

Reply with quote  #6 
These are definitely Sportscards and fit the technologies used for other Sportscards of that era.
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #7 
I get it Brent, but I'll never think of boxing cards as sports cards. To me they are non-spots. Same as T-221. T-218, etc. 100% non-sport to me.

I'm not saying that it makes sense.
butcher354435

Reply with quote  #8 
Daniel - my intention wasn’t to take a position on whether boxing is in the Sportscard or Nonsportscard category. I was addressing the photograph versus “card” comment. These are photographs pasted on cardboard with advertisement on the reverse and there are many other 19th century “cards” that use this method.

As far as I’m aware, there were only 3 cards of the non-actress variety known to exist before this group of 11 was discovered. If anyone else has any that aren’t currently catalogued or known to exist I would love to see them.
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #9 
I wasn’t saying photographs aren’t cards, obviously lots of tobacco cards are photographic. I was only acknowledging that they photographic cards and I don’t collect those. I really only focus on art work cards. That’s all I was saying.
Martin Murray

Reply with quote  #10 
Daniel, Thanks for the thought. Most of these sports subjects are unknown to me, but the problem is that I can't read the captions to add them to my list. Can anyone help?
Might I add that I find all this talk of sports/non-sports rather boring. I just collect cards (and pins, silks, leathers etc,). Sport is the pursuit of game (hunting, shooting and fishing), and anyone who tries to upgrade their pastime is rather pretentious. I understand that in Japan next year baseball, ice hockey and basketball are going to be included in the Olympic GAMES!
butcher354435

Reply with quote  #11 
I completely misread Daniel's original post and thought there was a question whether these are more photographs versus "card-like".  I have no preference if someone refers to them as nonsports or sports as to each their own. This example is also why I prefer good old fashion face to face conversations or phone conversations versus forum chats - I'm not very good at the latter...

Martin - here are the subjects shown above:

John L Sullivan (boxer)(3rd different pose known to exist) - new
Jack Burke (boxer) - Already known to exist
Jake Kilrain (boxer) - new
Ike Weir (boxer)(two poses in this group) - both new
Jem Carney (boxer) - new
Teemer - new
Wallace Ross - new
McKay(rowing) - new
H.M. Johnson - new 
Edward Hanlan(rowing) - new
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #12 
I agree with Martin. The semantics discussion is boring. I’m sorry that I made my first comment as it derailed this cool thread a bit.

I also agree with Brent. I love the social component of the hobby; face to face meetings are great and I would love to take part in a few more of those.
boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #13 
I was lucky enough to see these cards in hand at the National too.  The discovery is amazing from a boxing collecting standpoint.  Until this one there were only three known subjects and only an example or two of each.  Weir is the bottom right and middle right.  FWIW, the Weir standing pose is from a Chickering cabinet:

1890s Chickering Cabinet Weir 1.jpg 

As a researcher and cataloger of American boxing cards this is one of the more significant discoveries in the field in recent years.

We can be heroes, just for one day
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.