Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
lcummins

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomedude
Lonnie, I do own the cheap cello. They are just so common I must have forgot to include it with my previous post. They are like the red headed step child of authentic topps flying things.

Yes, they are very common. I guess Topps was not only testing the cello packaging, but probably the manufacture of them in the U.S. instead of Japan. Since they were just a rehash of six of the originals, I would guess they didn't sell well, hence, the abundance of unopened packs and boxes today!

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G.
The one I had and opened was the only one I've seen.

Terry, do you remember when you acquired the test cello pack with header? And if isn't too personal, where you acquired it?

Reply with quote  #28 
No problem, Lonnie. I got it from Steve Miller (not the musician!) of Mrs. Miller's Memorabilia around 1995. He was based in Greenwich Village so not far from Brooklyn. I got a lot of interesting test packs and other items from him. He was one of the nicest people to deal with! He retired from the hobby around 1997-98.
lcummins

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
No problem, Lonnie. I got it from Steve Miller (not the musician!) of Mrs. Miller's Memorabilia around 1995. He was based in Greenwich Village so not far from Brooklyn. I got a lot of interesting test packs and other items from him. He was one of the nicest people to deal with! He retired from the hobby around 1997-98.

Well kept secret! In all my years of collecting, I've heard his name, but never knew he had test material. Thanks.

Reply with quote  #30 
Yes, he didn't really advertise it. He didn't have single cards, mostly some oddball non-sport packs like Stack of Stickers and Real Hip Stickers which I also acquired. He was always open to trading as well.

I've long since parted with my test collection but I've always liked the FT wrappers so that test is one I've kept.
lcummins

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Yes, he didn't really advertise it. He didn't have single cards, mostly some oddball non-sport packs like Stack of Stickers and Real Hip Stickers which I also acquired. He was always open to trading as well.

I've long since parted with my test collection but I've always liked the FT wrappers so that test is one I've kept.

When I took my "hiatus" from non-sport collecting in the early 2000's, I sold most of my "valuable" material like original art (including 12 pieces of GPK art), test material, wrappers and boxes. The only thing I regret selling is the "Funny Monsters" material I owned. I had a 5 cent display box in NM condition with unbroken perfs, a piece of original Davis art and a dealer ad sheet. Even still, I own a ton of material, mostly the stuff I purchased as new growing up.

Now days I collect images and information mostly, but may start collecting again before long. I've already broken down and gotten the 75th anniversary set and I'm getting the 80th anniversary cards as they are released.

Reply with quote  #32 
Yes, I recall that you had a lot of great stuff, Lonnie. This was around the time that Topps Vault was flooding the market with a wide variety of material.

Gathering information is a great part of the hobby! About 10 years ago I switched over into solely Canadian issues, wrappers, and some related items.
lcummins

Reply with quote  #33 
Here is another wrapper for everyone to search for! Along with the "green" and "yellow" fork display boxes for the 1970 release, there are matching wrappers!

"Yellow" fork version...
FlyingThings_3rdSeries02.jpg

"Yellow" fork back... MADE IN JAPAN
FlyingThings_3rdSeries03.jpg 
"Green" fork version...
FlyingThings_3rdSeries06.jpg 
"Green" fork back... MADE IN HONG KONG
FlyingThings_3rdSeries06a.jpg 
It is interesting the U.K. wrappers (both) are the "green" fork version, with their "Things" also made in HONG KONG. I wonder if Topps changed the color to designate the different point of origin?

FlyingThings_ABC_01.jpg

FlyingThings_ABC_03.jpg

FlyingThings_ABCTest_01.jpg 

FlyingThings_ABCTest_04.jpg 

Reply with quote  #34 
Interesting find, Lonnie! So, for Topps does this bring the total to 10 different? 12, if you include the UK?
lcummins

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Interesting find, Lonnie! So, for Topps does this bring the total to 10 different? 12, if you include the UK?

Yes, that is the total I currently have... 10 U.S. and 2 U.K.

Reply with quote  #36 
Topps had some issues with duty assessments on Japanese imports around 1969 or so.  I wonder if the change was a result of that?

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
lcummins

Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat
Topps had some issues with duty assessments on Japanese imports around 1969 or so.  I wonder if the change was a result of that?

Could very well be, but the "New Series" of 1971 went back to Japan. The 1974 test and 1975 Retail were made in the U.S.

Reply with quote  #38 
A recent discussion about a Donruss "Dallas" wrapper from Australia and a recent eBay auction I won, made me start thinking about the orange 15 cent wrapper again. Just to refresh memories, this is the wrapper I am talking about; I won it for $6 and change! Waiting on it to arrive still, so this image is from the auction.

FlyingThings4thSeries1971_15cent02.jpg 
So, here is my new thought (well, Terry actually suggested it in the original thread), is it possible the orange 15 cent wrapper (and box) were designed and sold in another country? Canada, Australia or both? The reason I mention Australia is because the wrapper I won was from an Australian seller. It makes sense for the higher price point and if it was the first "Flying Things" release in that country, it would be why the "New Series" blurb was removed from the box and wrapper.

Any Australian collectors out there with any info? Also, any concrete info on whether this wrapper was released in Canada or not? Terry?

Reply with quote  #39 
Lonnie,

You got a great deal on the wrapper! 😉 First of all, I did see and buy some Flying Things in the early 70s growing up near Toronto. Unfortunately, I have no recall of the wrappers.

I've wondered about this this one being a Canadian release but a couple of factors have always bothered me. Firstly, at this time, O-Pee-Chee would definitely not be using a Topps logo on their packaging. As a matter of fact, they only used a Topps logo once in 1993 with the Jurassic Park release.

Secondly, there is no indication on the wrapper of it being printed in Canada. At the time of issue (in the 70s) it would definitely indicate this. Now of course, OPC did reuse a lot of Topps wrappers for Canadian distribution. But I have only observed this with some releases from the 50s and 60s and never beyond 1964.

I would lean towards Australia as a more likely possibility. If you check the listings for wrappers and some cards from Australia, you will see that many of the releases there did not indicate Scanlens or have any other identifying marks. I can't think of specific issues offhand but I know there are quite a few that are pretty much indistinguishable from their US counterparts. For this wrapper, it appears that the only differences are the pricing and that it is lacking a "New Series" indication.

toppcat

Reply with quote  #40 
As a point of order, I saved a large database of A&R/Scanlens issues from an old website that's now gone and it does not list Flying Things.

If anyone wants a copy of this list (Microsoft Excel format) e-mail me, it's comprehensive and includes wrapper scans.

CLARIFICATION-It includes other issues as well, including Topps.

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.