Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
wdmullins

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm looking for information on cards with Henry E. Dixey, an actor from the turn of the century.  I know he has cards in T-25 Actors, N-70/N-94 Costumes of All Nations, N-342 Between the Acts Actors, N-284 Buchner Actors.

Does anyone know of any other cards he might appear on?  He was active up into the silent movie era, and appeared in a few films.
teza

Reply with quote  #2 
H918 Marburg Bros.

H918 Dixey o.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #3 
I think I can go one better and reveal that Henry E Dixey may have published cigarette cards.

If you look at N629 on Todd's site, you'll see a Dixey cigarettes, with 2 known cards, one pictured from our own Monty Barrie:

N629.jpg 

And, lo and behold, Maud Waldemere was in Henry E Dixey's ensemble (13 May 1886):

Dixey 1.jpg 

And Maud's photo in cigarette packets (15 December 1887):

Dixey 2.jpg 

Can't find George Black though (the second known card).

This could, of course, be coincidence. Until you realize that my Newspapers.com search only threw up 14 unique references to Maud. Far too much of a coincidence, in my view.

Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #4 
[image]

Looks like George is really Georgie

Reply with quote  #5 
(Thanks for posting Bill O - great to see the other card and corrected name)

But.... Georgie Black doesn't show up.

A Georgie Lincoln appears - see clipping above in the Dixey ensemble, which seemed to associate with the Bijou Opera House, mentioned in the clipping above.

See clipping below from 1 Feb 1891 where Georgie Lincoln is appearing in the Bijou Theatre.

I wonder if she used an alternate name for the photograph - or perhaps I'm clutching at straws!

Bijou theatre 1890.jpg

teza

Reply with quote  #6 
Ok Tim, I'll play.  I'll up you one Dixie Cigarettes checklist add and another Henry Dixey cigarette card issue.

Jeff

Dixie Mary Jansen o.jpg  H Dixey o.jpg 

wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #7 
Very interesting research Tim. It is possible that Henry Dixie made a brand of cigarettes, although they did not appear very popular.

Jeff, unfortunately the Marie Jansen card is an N45 Dixie Cigarettes card put out by Allen & Ginter. I always thought the "Dixey" brand was just an error in the spelling. The Dixie cards are great but are not that scarce.

Monty
teza

Reply with quote  #8 
Good catch Monty. So much for my attention to detail.

The formats are surprising similar.

Ok Tim, I fold!

Jeff
GregG

Reply with quote  #9 
Jeff,

I'll see your 1 (n45) Dixie Cigarette add to checklist -

and Raise 1- that's (2 new checklist adds) total...if your thinking of getting in the game.

ions019.jpg 

{I didn't see Mary Jansen on any N45 DIXIE checklist, in golf we call that a "good miss"}

wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #10 
Greg, like Jeff's card these are N45's issued by Allen & Ginter. The "Dixie" cards are not too tough to find. The "Dixey" cards are quite scarce.

Monty
wdmullins

Reply with quote  #11 
Dixey lived a well-documented, public life throughout his theatrical career, which started when he was about 11 years old in 1869.  He did not have anything to do with printing or publishing cigarette cards -- the Dixey brand is a coincidence.
rhettyeakley

Reply with quote  #12 
[t25dixey]  [t25dixey2] 

I have a soft spot for famous actor/actress cabinets and cdv's and pick them up when I can. Dixey is pictured on one of my favorites (his cross dressing one below), I also have a trimmed one that surprisingly looks like Ellen (that was what I thought the first time I saw it)...

Dixey trimmed cabinet (trimmed to CDV sze):
[dixeycabtrim]  [dixeycabtrim2] 

My favorite of Dixey (cross dressing):
[dixeycab]  [dixeycab2] 

Apparently the cross dressing thing was a common comedic thing at the time as I have another of a somewhat famous actor Richard Harlan as "Isabella". Even for that time he was an unattractive woman...
[harlincab]    [harlincab2]
moviecard

Reply with quote  #13 
The accounts I could find for Georgie Black were mostly from 1897 and 1898. Here's the best one:

georgie_black.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #14 
Is this (in 1898) the Edward E. Rice (E. E. Rice) who was the manager that looked after Henry E Dixey in Adonis in the late 1880s?

The sceptic in me thinks the Dixey is a misspelling of Dixie. But both of the "Dixey cigarettes" actresses are very peripheral figures - not mainstream - which still leaves the possibility that Dixey is a genuine 'copycat' uncommon brand. But the dates are out by some time (over 10 years).

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #15 

OK, so I think this is all a bit of a coincidence.

Looks like N629 is actually good old A&G N45 and I've got a feeling these 2 misprint Dixey cards are not super-rare, although Dixie is certainly less common than Virginia Brights N45 cards. Sorry Monty.

Here's a montage of Maud Waldemere in various A&G N45 poses, including the Dixey and VB identical photo. Plus a Dixie and Duke identical photo (Maud with Josie Hall). And Kimball and Duke x 2 single cards of Maud.

Plus a montage of Maud with various fellow Corsair Company actresses (as per the snippet above). The one in the middle includes 4 Corsair Company actresses. Interesting to see the 4-in-1 pictures repeat themselves in lots of different patterns. With 4 in 1 cards and identical photos I think I have Troy's competition playing on my brain!

Looks like N649 is simply a couple of mis-printed N45 Dixie cards. One for Todd to note in non-sports.com perhaps?

Sorry for diverting this post, but at least we've resolved the unknown manufacturer of the N629 Dixey brand, I think. Still a little puzzled by who Georgie Black really is. The 1898 date doesn't fit, so my guess is that there is another Georgie Black - she doesn't show up in my searches - although Troy has pinned a possible clipping down to 1898 (when she was just 18) - around 10 years out from where she should be, around 1888-1890, or so.

waldemere a.jpg 
waldemere b.jpg 
waldemere c.jpg 

waldemere 2.jpg  

wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #16 
Tim, some more great research on your part and great card pictures. Being that her first name is also spelled differently on both cards (Maude on the VB, and Maud on the Dixey) I still feel it is a separate issue. Many of the same pictures were borrowed from others on these sepia cards so it is not a big surprise to see several issues with the same picture. I have yet to see another issue misspell their own brand name, although many misspell the actresses names. If there was someone that could find some misspelled brand names it would be you. Also, being there are still only 2 known cards with the "Dixey" advertising they should still at least be considered "very scarce". Are there any Georgia Black N45's out there!

MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley

Apparently the cross dressing thing was a common comedic thing at the time as I have another of a somewhat famous actor Richard Harlan as "Isabella". Even for that time he was an unattractive woman...

That goes back to the dawn of theater before Shakespeare - women were prohibited to act until 1660.

Defender & Offender
Reply with quote  #18 
Perfect depiction of a "fop". 

n284_h.e.-dixey-in-adonis_sgc2.5(35).jpg 

Reply with quote  #19 
You want 1887, I'll give you 1887. Here's an account I found from that year, I don't know the date but later in the year I think. Obviously a different Georgie than the one I posted earlier. This is the only account of Georgie I could find in that time period.

georgie_black_1887.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #20 
The "Corsair company" was run by Henry E Dixey and Edward E Rice, and had a successful 2 year plus run, over 1887-1890 (mainly 1888/1889). Edward E Rice had an extensive Broadway/theatrical career, both as a manager and composer - see Wikipedia entry (which has some date errors). Rice was married to Fanny Davenport for a while, before she divorced him.

The Waldemere pictures (in the Corsair company) fit precisely in the period 1887-1890 that we believe the A&G VB/Dixie N45 cards were inserted in cigarette packets.

And, as the Corsair company was part-run by Dixey, its quite possible that the mis-spelling of Dixey Cigarettes was an intentional pun on the part-owner of the Corsair company (Henry E Dixey).

As to Georgie Black, Troy's second clipping above looks more likely to be the right one. Note the E. E. Rice reference again at the bottom of that clipping (not related to Georgie). Rice was a mainstay of the theatre in these times. Who knows whether Georgie Black had some dalliance with Henry E Dixey, to also be rewarded with a Dixey cigarettes photo - or is it simply a mis-spelling / coincidence?

Rice produced and composed the music for Adonis, which ran for nearly 10 years on Broadway. Dixey co-wrote and directed, as well as starring as Adonis. 

Adonis and Rice.jpg 

moviecard

Reply with quote  #21 
This Dixie/Dixey thing kind of reminds me of a strip card baseball set from the 1920s that listed Detroit Tiger players as Tygers, obviously as a play on Ty Cobb, who had been a Tiger for many years at that time. It makes me wonder if they did the same thing with Dixie cigarettes as a play on Dixey, who was very popular at the time.

[heilman-strip] 
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #22 
Thanks Troy - there is certainly precedent for intentional and unintentional mis-spellings on cards.

Talking of which, I suspect Georgie Black (almost impossible to find in actress-related searches) is actually Georgie Blake, who was a semi-prominent actress of the day - and has a few cards produced in this time.

Just need to get a closer match on the pictures of Georgie Black (Dixey), with other Georgie Blake cards. At first attempt they were not a clear match, but close(ish). And no sign that Georgie Blake has any connection with Henry Dixey, unlike Maud Waldemere who worked for Henry Dixey. So maybe another blind alley?

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #23 
In the World Tobacco Index - Part 4, Georgie Black (Dixey Cigarettes) is actually attributed as number 7 in the A&G N45 subset 12-2 (Todd's site calls this 12b), with "caption in very small lettering". 

Jeff noted the use of the Checklist function in advanced search in Todd's site. Using Georgie Black in the checklist search yielded her twice in the non-sport.com database. This is a duplication, not two separate examples. See the search result below:

georgie black.jpg 

And in subset 12-3, number 56, there is a Georgie Blake (standing). There are 2 other Georgie Blakes in subset 12-3 (number 54,55).

Here they are side by side from N45 subset 12-2 #7 (Black) and subset 12-3 #56 (Blake). I think they are the same person, if you look closely at the facial characteristics. Interested to hear if others agree?

georgie black and blake.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.