DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #2 
Received an unrecorded image - N342-4
....from David Epps
Hope  the gallery does it justice.

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N342-4/go.html
BenG76

Reply with quote  #3 
Cool looking cards except the ones with the cat that says Click For Photos. LOL[biggrin]
nscards

Reply with quote  #4 
Greetings - I know that I'm not the most regular poster, but was perusing the recent posts and had a question I was hoping someone might answer - as documented in the NWTI, N342-4A appears to actually consist of two distinct series based on card backs (I'm not aware of a card containing both, but please alert if anybody can provide evidence to the contrary). 

I would love to know which backDavid's "Lillian Daly" has, so that I can correctly place it in the NSB. I'm also need to confirm which backs the following three have: 
John Drew (anybody have one that isn't blank-backed?)
Miss Davenport
Evangeline Irving 

Do you have knowledge as to whether any of the above four (or any of the 159 known cards listed here)

belong to Subtype 1 or 2?

NSB information concerning them is provided below (sorry for any formatting issues...it's cut and paste from my Quark document)

Any assistance on this topic would be appreciated.

Here's what I currently know....

Type 4, Style A, Subtype 1

Actors,Actresses,Athletes&PresidentialCandidates_N342-4A1_ThomasHHall_.jpg 

This style of cards is further subdivided by the two different front brand wordings and the wording of the manufacturer’s advertisement found on back.  The fronts of this style of cards are inscribed “Between the Acts - All Tobacco Cigarettes” with vertically-oriented backs printed in black and stating “Thos. H. Hall, Manufacturer - 207, 209 & 211 East 37th St., New York - Established 1836” above a printer’s inscription that denotes “Linder, Eddy & Claus, Lith. N.Y.”. One additional variation is known for (11) Louise Beaudet where the front is inscribed “Bravo All Tobacco Cigarettes” with a horizontally-oriented back printed in blue that noted “Thos. H. Hall. M’f’r. New York. Established 1836”. (ACC# N342-4A1)  

KNOWN CHECKLIST: 

(1) Maude Adams (2) Viola Allen (black background; L profile) (3) Viola Allen (light background; near L profile) (4) Madge Alphabet (5) Mabel Amber (6) Amy D. Angele (7) Miss Arlington (8) Sydney Armstrong (9) Sigrid Arnoldson (10) Julia Arthur (11) Mll. Armand ‘Ary (12) Louise Beaudet (13) Ellen Burg (14) Marie Burroughs (looking right) (15) Amy Busby (smiling, looking right, low dress) (16) Amy Busby (front facing, high dress) (17) Amy Busby (facing right, low dress) (18) Miss Carlisle (Passing Show) (19) Kitty Cheatham (20) Miss Clark (21) Nanette Comstock (hat with flowers) (22) Bertha Creighton (23) Dorothy Dene (24) Miss Donnelly (25) Lorraine Dreux (full face) (26) Paula Edwardes (no hat) (27) Sophie Elliott (28) Irene Everett (29) Isabelle Evesson (30) Fitzgerald (31) Mlle. Foucard (32) Bettina Gerard (33) Jennie Goldthwaite (looking slightly downwards) (34) Alice Greenaway (35) Fannie Herschmann (36) Miss Hoffman (37) Ida Klein (38) Clara Knott (39) Mlle. Lapaix (40) D. Leslie (41) Constance Levien (42) Sadie Martinot (43) Miss Ethel Matthews (44) Geraldine McCann (45) Miss Mabel Millett (46) Mary Mills (hat) (47) Mary Mills (no hat) (48) Jessie Milward (49) Caroline Miskel (facing front) (50) Caroline Miskel (profile to right) (51) Caroline Miskel (right hand under chin) (52) Nice Moreska (53) Nesta Neilson (profile to left, wearing hat) (54) Maude Odell (55) Minnie Ratcliffe (56) Mlle. Reutlinger (57) Adele Ritchie (black fur) (58) Adele Ritchie (white dress) (59) Anna Robinson (hat) (60) Anna Robinson (no hat) (61) Margaret Robinson (profile to left) (62) Lillian Russell (63) Mme. Segond-Weber (64) Effie Shannon (full face, light background) (65) Alma Stanley (66) Ellaline Terris (profile to right) (67) Ellaline Terris (flowers in hair) (68) Stella Teuton (69) Vesta Tilley (no cap, wearing tuxedo) (70) Marie Valleau (71) Queenie Vassar (72) Theresa Vaughn (73) Edna Wallace (hat) (74) Edna Wallace (no hat, profile to left) (75) Edna Wallace (no hat, smiling) (76) Gladys Wallace (77) Fannie Ward (78) Miss E. A. Watson (79) Ellen Beach Yaw

Type 4, Style A, Subtype 2

Actors,Actresses,Athletes&PresidentialCandidates_N342-4A2_ThomasHHall_.jpg 

The fronts of this style of cards are also inscribed “Between the Acts - All Tobacco Cigarettes”, but their with vertically-oriented back, printed in black, states “Thos. H. Hall, New York, U.S.A. - Manufactured by The American Tobacco Co., Successor” (and no printer’s inscription). This notation identifies that this series was issued following the company being absorbed by the American Tobacco Company. John Drew is the lone actor depicted in this series. (ACC# N342-4A2)  

KNOWN CHECKLIST:

(1) Miss Allen (2) Grace Atwell (3) Bertha Bartlett (4) Helen Bertram (5) Nellie Black (6) Lillian Blauvelt (bright white dress) (7) Lillian Blauvelt (mauve dress) (8) Maud Bliss (9) Bessie Bonehill (10) June Burbank (11) Lillian Burkhart (12) Marie Burroughs (looking left) (13) Amy Busby (slightly facing left) (14) Amy Busby (facing left, low dress) (15) Amy Busby (looking over left shoulder) (16) Rhoda Cameron (17) Maude Carlisle (18) Cissy’s Wink (19) Estelle Clayton (20) Nanette Comstock (wearing fez) (21) Mrs. Corbett (22) Henrietta Crossman (23) Mlle. Debailly (24) Lorraine Dreux (profile to to left) (25) Emma Eames (26) Paula Edwardes (wearing hat) (27) Miss Elliot (28) Effie Ellsler (29) Helen Fraser (30) Bertha Galland (31) Jennie Goldthwaite (looking upwards) (32) Frances Graham (33) Mlle. Guercia (34) Hilda Hanbury (35) Lilly Hanbury (looking upward) (36) Lilly Hanbury (smiling, looking forward) (37) Lucille Hill (38) Edna Wallace Hopper (39) Edith Howe (40) Elsie Irving (41) Isabella Irving (42) Grace Kimball (43) Villa Knox (44) Mrs. Langtry (45) Florence Lloyd (46) Janette Lowrie (hat) (47) Janette Lowrie (no hat) (48) Christie Macdonald (hat w/ feathers) (49) Christie Macdonald (white veil over head) (50) Julia Marlowe (51) Belle Martin (52) Miss Martino (53) Olive May (54) Miss Modina (55) Esther Moore (56) Miss Moore (57) Nesta Neilson (facing front, no hat) (58) Olga Nethersole (59) Anna O’Neill (60) Maude Phillips (61) Sallie Randall (62) Ada Rehan (63) Pearl Revare (64) Rhea as “Josephine” (65) Gertrude Rivers (66) Margaret Robinson (facing front) (67) Annie St. Tel. (68) Effie Shannon (profile to right, black background) (69) Mina Schilling (70) Eva Swinbourne (71) Ethel Sydney (72) Sylvia Thorne (73) Vesta Tilly (cap, high-necked coat) (74) Miss Titherington (75) Bessie Tyree (76) Harriet Vernon (77) Marie Yorke

I'm guessing that one of the unknown cards is a 'Subtype 1' and the other three belong to 'Subtype 2'...making the two series total exactly 80 cards each....

Thanks in advance for any assistance that is provided, Chris Watson

And, I promise to be more active on the board....I have a ton of NSB-related questions that I'll start to post in the section that Tom set up. Love the new site!

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #5 
Chris.....good to see you here!  I got nothing on this subject but glad to see you around.......hope all's well.......
specc

Reply with quote  #6 
Chris,
     I have John Drew with a Successor type back. All others I have match the subset checklists you have.
B0b Rich@rds0n
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #7 

Chris - I have all 4 of the N342-4 Sun Rays you requested. All 4 of the cards - Drew, Daly, Davenport, and E. Irving have the " The American Tobacco Co." backs at the bottom. I also have 2 of the "Rare Back" cards to add to your list. First off is May Livingston from N342-1A. This is the only known example from that series. Second is Joseph Jefferson from N342-1C. Both backs say "Smoke Between The Acts" at top. The Jefferson might have already been verified. I also have Kate Allison from N342-1C with the rare back. I am pretty sure this one has been verified. I currently have 661 diff. N342's so if you need any further info or scans let me know. I will be happy to help out. 

Thanks, Monty
                                       Thanks, Monty IMG_1055.jpg  IMG_1056.jpg  IMG_1059.jpg  IMG_1065.jpg 

nscards

Reply with quote  #8 
Awesome Bob & Monty! Thank you. I added another question in the NSB heading found under 'Home' regarding Type 4, Style B cards (N342-4B)...also could use an image! I'm also going to post the checklist that I have for 'Type 1, Style C' cards there as there are a ton of back variations that I'm sure people can add to. Thanks again, Chris

Reply with quote  #9 
Chris - I have more info and pictures for your project on updating the N342's. There are actually 2 versions of the "Rare Backs" as you can see in the picture with the 2 backs side by side. Kate Allison has the second version. This bring the total of back variations to 4. I have also included better pictures of the rare back cards. They came out too big and unclear in the ones I posted yesterday. These rare back cards are on thin card stock and quite fragile (as you can see with Allison). There also is one possible addition to N342-1B "Hall's at Top" subset of 14. I have included a picture of both sides of Emily Rigl. This mystery card has a diff. lithographer - Edwin J. Herr, 4 Park Place, NY. I do not know of any other cards with this lithographer. Possibly a "test" card? Also, all of the other 14 cards in this series have a dull color. The Rigl is green. All 14 of the other cards from this series use the same picture from the N342-C series, but the Rigl is a diff. photo. If you have any other info on this please let me know. Also, there are 2 back variations from N342-B "Hall's at Top". I have pictured 4 "Blank Backs" from this series. Besides these 4 blank backs from my personal collection, I know David Epps has a blank back of Davenport. Lastly, I never see much listed anywhere on the "Hall's" Actress Tins. These neat pocket tins have a picture of the actual card on front of the actresses so I always felt they should be associated with N342 issue. I have included a few pictures. I am looking for Angele. Here are the 6 known : Aimee, Angele, Belocca, Cummings, Ellsler, Harrison. I am interested in knowing if there are any others out there not listed? I hope this info helps.         Thanks, Monty IMG_1325.jpg  IMG_1337.jpg  IMG_1343.jpg  IMG_1348.jpg  IMG_1354.jpg  IMG_1314.jpg  IMG_1315.jpg  IMG_1384.jpg  IMG_1390.jpg  IMG_1394.jpg  IMG_9050.jpg 

nscards

Reply with quote  #10 
Monty, 
I am always amazed at how much excellent information can be gleaned from sharing by longtime collectors. I was not aware of the Rigl "anomaly" - certainly it's format appears to belong with 'Type 1, Style B'. I had also forgotten about the tins.... wonder whether they preceded or followed  card production....

How about the Thos. H. Hall  "Actresses" (H584), got any info to add to them. Sorry don't have a picture to show, but nonsport.com  illustrates them nicely. This is the checklist that I'm aware of:
(1) Miss Belle Howitt
(2) Mrs. Langtry
(3) Adelina Patti
(4) Lillian Spencer
(5) Mme. Theo

Reply with quote  #11 
never had the opportunity for either of those back styles and have seen but one/own one of the tins (Minnie C.). VERY NICE. Please don't tell Marty there's ANOTHER variation (or two)! Already hard to get time with him :-)

Reply with quote  #12 
Chris - The 5 Between The Acts Cabinet Cards you listed are the only ones I know of.

DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #13 
Current  "RARE BACKS" information

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N342-1A/rare.html
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.