Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
oldjudge

Reply with quote  #26 
I’m late to the party as usual. There are two sets of eight die cut heads. If anyone has a copy of the Old Judge book the die cuts are all pictured on Page 115. Henry, if you used your book for more than collecting autographs you would have known that.
I had not seen the Chancellor cigarette die cut before. However, I believe that based on the page of the Goodwin round album that pictures all Goodwin cigarettes issued at that time, that Chancellor cigarettes were issued in the U.S. I really like that pack also; I would love to find one.
teza

Reply with quote  #27 
Great catch Jay. I've attached the Goodwin Round Album page image for others to enjoy.

Jeff

Goodwin Round Album Page.jpg   
Goodwin Round Album Page Zoom.jpg

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #28 
Jay - I am well aware - just didn't go digging. 8/8 but two unshared I believe so set of ten? I'll look later in your book and revisit the autographs as well :-)

Reply with quote  #29 
This Goodwin Chancellor Cigarettes box recently sold on eBay.  Adding pictures to this thread for additional brand reference.

Jeff

Ch 1.jpg  Ch 2.jpg  Ch 3.jpg  Ch 4.jpg  Ch 5.jpg  Ch 6.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #30 
Damn. Great box - never saw it..... I love my set of the heads :-)

Reply with quote  #31 
When Joe G posted the Goodwin "Temple Bar" brand box and card (only 2 examples known), that set me off looking at old Goodwin references in the UK. See separate post here on Temple Bar, which is also shown in the round Goodwin advert above:
https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/rare-cigarette-packs-10455936?highlight=temple+bar&pid=1310999624

The Goodwin Chancellor brand came up in old UK newspaper clippings - and some interesting, familiar and obscure Trademarks for Goodwin (from around the date, 17 May 1881, shown on Jeff's picture of a Chancellor box above):

An early advert for Chancellor from 1882:
Chancellor SF.jpg 

A few problems when trying to import into the UK:

Chancellor UK.jpg 

The man who ran the Goodwin London branch in this early 1880 period was Thomas Dixon Asten. I believe that he went on to run the ATC operation in London, from 1890, including the A&G London depot run by Henry K Terry and John Morgan Richards. When ATC formed in 1890, Terry wound up the London depot and WD&HO Wills moved into the building. Terry went back to work for Lewis Ginter and John Pope, in Richmond.

And the trademarks from May 1881, kicking off with a familiar one, that is a renewal from the original c. June 1877 trademark.

Old Judge TM 1881.jpg  Goodwin TM 1881.jpg

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #32 
Very cool, thank you for posting Jeff and the follow-up Tim.  The Chancellor brand appears to be far more popular as an export with more listings found overseas and the posted box being a UK sale.  The wrappers I've seen do not have a US tax stamp.  I suspect Goodwin tried the US market early and it then became an export only brand and may have never made the transition from paper to slide & shell box.

The trademarks are also interesting, most would not be used for cigarettes, some would not be used at all.  I do have several early tin foils of Solitaire, Welcome, and several other Goodwin brands.  "Welcome", like "Old Judge", was sold as a loose smoking tobacco as well as a cigarette.

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
rhettyeakley

Reply with quote  #33 
While we are talking about obscure Goodwin brands...

Has anybody ever seen a package of Goodwin & Co "High Class" Cigarettes? I know Kinney Brothers had a brand with that name for a time and that may be why this is the only example of this N-Uncataloged series I have ever seen...

[goodwin]    [goodwin2] 
Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #34 
Interesting card Rhett, looks like another example of an export cigarette brand.  The back is in English but the front in French?  What are the dimensions?  Looks like a good fit for a clam-shell pack of 20, like the brands "Tennis Puffs", "BlendedStock", and "Boudoir" shown in the A35 album page above.
& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #35 
I had a 20 minute search this morning and couldn't find anything on this brand. Lots of Kinney Bros adverts with the same branding, as you noted.
rhettyeakley

Reply with quote  #36 
I suppose there is always the chance that they were simply referring to all their brands in a more generic term of "High Class" but they normally did single out the brand advertising on their cards, or possibly a copyright issue with the brand.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.