Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tm

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone - I hope all are doing OK in this CRISIS.  I really appreciate Dan's Posts showing his concern for everyone, it shows what a big heart he has.  Also another shout out and
God's blessings for Dr. Frank, who is working the front lines in NYC.  The hardest hit area.

I have been using the great search tab looking up different tobacco & trade cards.  I am trying to find two threads in particular and I am having a hard time.  One is a few years
ago Mr. Moses posted pictures of his cabinets & collection & another is one of the guys 
posted his tobacco banner collection.  If anyone can lead me to these threads it would be
helpful & appreciated.  The search tab is a great place to learn & see things.  Thank you
I hope all are safe.    tm
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #2 
https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/display-your-nonsport-displays-9590057?trail=25&highlight=display 

Could this be one? Photobucket really screwed up a good thing for forums such as this.
tm

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Daniel. Now I would like find the banners, I think the collector was an attorney & he had them hanging in his office.  Henry would know who I'm talking about.  He had all the great ones.  I still love reading the old
posts.  That is where you learn about this hobby.
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #4 
Sounds like “Wonkaticket”. He had a fantastic collection of banners & Lillian Russell items.

Henry, great stuff! Always a pleasure looking at your work of art.

Monty
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #5 

Ted.  The collector was John "Wonkaticket" McDaniel.  Think he was maybe in the Philly area.  He has kind of "gone dark" if you will.  I've got some of those photos that I can post for everyone here in a few minutes.

vintagenonsportschat

Reply with quote  #6 
DSCN2932.jpg  DSCN2947.jpg  DSCN2961.jpg  DSCN2968.jpg  DSCN2983.jpg 
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #7 
Mr. John McDaniel 111 - Wonka - man them is some sweet stuff he has on the wall. Sold him some of my best pieces - would kill to get my smoker's of the world banner back and of course he displays my white whale - the Indian banner. There's something to be said for the clean way it's all laid out. Hard to differentiate in my room what is what and the things that are really special sort of get lost. I lost touch with him (his choice?) - at some point he found a more private site to discuss cards and whatever - not sure he's still active - never see him post on the BB side either....

As an explanation of sorts for my eclecticism I offer the following poster example of my mom's soho loft that was moved in it's entirety to Philly for a show in the 70's. It might be a little hard to see. Also as a tribute to her I offer an Andy Warhol portrait of he painted on my grandmother's bathroom wall.....

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_2583.jpg (300.96 KB, 13 views)
jpeg IMG_2582.jpg (239.14 KB, 14 views)

tm

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Tom & Henry.  It was another post by Wonka (it had closeups of the banners) Its too bad we lost all the old posts from the old board.   Most of those guys got scared off.  as Henry knows those were the tobacco experts.  Love that Lorillard glass case.  If you have a nice picture of it, could you please post it.  As always Love the Andy stuff.  tm
wheatiesfanatic

Reply with quote  #9 
Here are some more beauties that John shared with me.

Monty Dukes_1.jpg  Dukes (2).jpg  bravo (1).jpg 

vintagenonsportschat

Reply with quote  #10 
Ted.....we didn't lose the posts and verbiage....we just lost images depending on where they were stored.  Photobucket jacked us all over the last couple years as well.  All the posts were pulled over to this site from the old site.  It's out there but may be how you're searching.

vintagenonsportschat

Reply with quote  #11 
And John Wonkaticket had a thing for Lillian Russell.  He had TONS of her stuff.  And a massive collection of N245's.  I tried to contact him about the N245's after I bought Chad's in REA but never got him.  Hopefully he's okay and will surface at some point when he gets through his issues.  
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #12 
And of note: the middle Duke Lillian was a piece I got from our own Dan :-) I "gifted it" to John.... or was it the other way around and Dan gifted it to me? No prize for a correct guess :-)

Wonka also had some other tremendous cards; non-sports and otherwise..... Sometimes people just go off the radar never to be heard from again but their stuff tends to come back around if they don't. I haven't seen anything I would recognize as his as I have when a few others with prominent collections had just lost interest, passed on, or had to divest. Certainly I hope he is well. I guess I'm happy my Smoker's banner is where it should be. Sort of. :-)

Reply with quote  #13 
I think Ted might have been referring to the following thread:

https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/repairing-old-tobacco-posters-9585491?highlight=banner

John's post was #13 in that thread & included a link to view his banner/advertising pieces collection. Unfortunately that link now appears to be password protected.
teza

Reply with quote  #14 
John really has/had some great stuff.  The link to his Obak baseball card collection is still accessible.  Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out how to back into the banner gallery.

https://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection/t212obaksets

Jeff 
Matt_Z

Reply with quote  #15 
Can get to a few of the the sub sections of his collection display but like the Lillian Russell stuff in link below when you click to view it comes up with the password required prompt again as with the banner link.

https://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection/lillianrussell

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.