Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
bvb5366

Reply with quote  #26 
With no disrespect I point out:
     1) what other company, printing items to be cut out, deliberately produced cut outs they knew would be damaged? What kid or collector would want them?
     2) The printing plates used to print the wrappers were used to print the illustrations so the line was left there. However, they changed the whole panel by removing the jokes punch line. Who, would they have thought, would want to keep an illustration that was not complete?
     3) Look at Todd's box top. It shows, without doubt, that the marking were printing markings, most likely to aid registration in the printing process, and provide no guidance to cut up the box top.

Reply with quote  #27 
guminccomic.jpg 
Answer to questions 1 & 2

bvb5366

Reply with quote  #28 
Really??
    1) that is not a cutout. If necessary, I will go to Todd's listing of 1930's non-sports and make up a list of of cut out type products for you- you know, cereal boxes, candy and toy boxes, etc.
    2)That is a gum wrapper, not an advertising illustration meant to convince a child to buy that wrapper and the product it serves as a wrapper for. And it is a really good example of a  wrapper, two complete jokes, with punchlines, are on it. It's a real keeper.

Reply with quote  #29 

In the mean time, every comic shown in the gallery is a "cut" out.
Or "crop" out, because none of them came as shown.
They were "cut" from the wrapper which also included one or two partials.

bvb5366

Reply with quote  #30 
Visionlures: I went to the Gallery to see what you a talking about but I cannot find these "comics." Seriously, please help me see what you want me to look at. What are they listed as? 

Reply with quote  #31 
R33 - each picture is of a single comic.  The actual full wrappers had 1 mostly complete comic and  couple of partial comics.

Reply with quote  #32 
Bill:
    Thank you for clearing that up. I had never looked at the R32,R33 listing in the Gallery. I do not understand what those comics have to do with the subject being discussed but at least I understand the reference. 
    I recently got my own R33 wrapper. For those who disagree with my point of view regarding the R32 "cards" it was interesting to see that the examples shown were still part of the box top and not cut out. The box illustrations, as a whole, are what gives the complete box its fascinating look and makes it desirable to own for present day collectors.

Reply with quote  #33 
That box in the gallery was mine, I auctioned it off through REA a number of years ago.  A shame if it was cut up but I suppose once you sell something you have no say in it.  My only regret is that my R type card collection doesn't have an R32 in it, although it would have been hard to get that box into my binder [smile]

Chuck Ross
Tuff30s

Reply with quote  #34 
Also, as Daniel mentioned, I recall Hugh Jones using a professional company to cut up uncut sheets.  Back in the day Hugh's prices seemed outrageous...they would probably look pretty good compared to what I see for some graded cards on eBay now.
JRhodes

Reply with quote  #35 
According to tracking, my auction package has been sitting at a postal facility two hours from my house since Sunday. At this point, I’d be willing to just drive there and pick it up if such a thing we’re allowed.
Tuff30s

Reply with quote  #36 
In the context of another post I was looking through an index of Wrapper articles and saw that I wrote an article on Comic Gum cards back in 2005 in issue 211.  That was back when I was the owner of the box.  I don't think I have a copy of that issue anymore so I have no idea whether my article contains anything useful to add to the discussion on R32/R33 above.  Perhaps if someone has a copy they can take a look.  
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #37 
Hope that this is okay with Les!

Tuff30s

Reply with quote  #38 
Thanks Daniel.  Funny that I stated in that long ago article that the box was the only way to fill that hole in my type card collection and then I later auctioned off the box...so that hole in my type card collection will most likely remain there forever.
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #39 
Keep your eyes open Chuck. Whoever cut the one card off the box also cut off the other thirty-five. More may surface based on the selling price of the one recently sold.
Tuff30s

Reply with quote  #40 
Thanks Daniel, did you pick that one up on eBay?
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #41 
No sir, I didn’t see one on eBay.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.