Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
I occasionally visit Anson Whaley's excellent site: https://prewarcards.com/ 

I am constantly amazed at the speed at which he turns out high quality research on cards and the hobby, even though I have little understanding of the national obsession with baseball.

One recent article from 8 April caught my eye, showing a Duke Postage Stamp card, with the words "Got any Duke's stamp cards?"

prewarcards.jpg 

On a completely different tangent, I was looking at the front cover of the first enlarged edition Murray Cards catalogue, from 1979. This was the first price list I owned, as an 11 year old starting to take an interest in cigarette cards. Can you spot the card that is depicted by Martin on the front cover?

murrays.jpg 

In the Duke N85 series "Postage Stamps", it appears that there are in fact two (of the 50) cards that depict our hobby. Here they are, courtesy of the VNSF Gallery:

gallery cards.jpg 

Are these two the earliest cards depicting card collecting?

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #2 
Two of my favorite "common" cards that I still have for the very reason you've posted. There are a few later color postcards I have somewhere as well. Along the same lines are two small advertising pieces - one of which Jeff uses as his avatar depicting a man sweating over the pretty girl insert he just found in a pack. I'll look thru my archives as I haven't visited this aspect of the hobby in quite some time and it's an interesting subject... I can't think of anything older in terms of an actual card inset. There was a thread about this here on the old board at some point but don't recall the direction it went.

Reply with quote  #3 
I too think these are great!

Here is a Duke advertising piece with the same theme...

b1.jpg 

Details:
b2.jpg b3.jpg 
I love his expression! (I imagine that's how Marty looks when looking at his tobacco cards).

I was trying to see if I could ID the card he pulled, but could not.

Reply with quote  #4 
early generic "card fiend"
cardfiend (2).jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #5 
OK, so that last card has sent me searching Jim.

Any increase on 5 different designs for "Card Fiends" ?

Plus a couple of colour variations and early examples of how not to treat cards - glue into albums or throw them on the floor.

(courtesy of Dave Cheadle's Victorian Card Hub, here)

Card fiends.jpg

Matt_Z

Reply with quote  #6 
One of the same cards already shown above but this time advertising a Grand Prize Masquerade Ball which dates the card (1884).

[Advertising card for Pacific life, Grand Prize masquerade ball]
visionlures

Reply with quote  #7 
Great stuff, as always, from Tim.
That is a really cool card Matt.
teza

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for posting that Duke advertising piece Todd.  It's been a long time since I've seen the full piece.

I too tried to search for that exact card in the galleries.  In my opinion it best fits with the N490 cards, but Duke was never an issuer of that series.

N490.jpg 

Duke's closest issue would probably be the Stars of the Stage 2nd series N130 cards, but she's not in it.

N130 2nd.jpg 

Jeff

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.