Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
nscards

Reply with quote  #1 
Really enjoying the variety of topics currently trending on the board (may not even be 50% which directly pertain to my collecting habits, but all seem very instructive and, more importantly, entertaining!):

With that in mind, I thought I'd "unleash" the Exhibit "Girlie" cards on the board. Personally, I only collect a type card (that interests me) of most of these sets, but in my quest to catalog all non-sports over the 1st century, I can't help but notice how infrequently some of these cards surface (I'm not talking about those ubiquitous "Bikini" cards of the 60s that just seem to be everywhere).

With that in mind, I'll leak that the section on Exhibit "Photographic Cards" (defined as monotone photoagraphic pictures) in the NSB currently totals >80 pages. This, of course, includes what most consider the "boxer", "movie scene", "salutation" and "Western double-sided" cards. I've added to checklists on these for a few years, and it has become clear that "Girlie" cards printed with 1931 and 1935 copyright dates don't surface very often (meaning the "visual checklists" in the NSB are sorely lacking). With that in mind, the first request would be for collectors (and I'd be interested in hearing of those that collect, but I'm still not quite sure of the extent of interest in these cards...although I can unequivocally state that when a "rare" type surfaces on eBay, 2 or more collectors usually "battle it out" to see who gets to purchase it).

Here are the two that I'd love to see collectors on the board post 300 dpi images of:

1931 "Girlies"
PHO2052m-031_PhotographicCards-Girlies_Type10_W423_ExhibitSupplyCo_C.jpg 

1935 "Girlies"
PHO2052n-031_PhotographicCards-Girlies_W423_ExhibitSupplyCo_C.jpg  PHO2052n-032_PhotographicCards-Girlies_Type11_W423_ExhibitSupplyCo_C.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
Chris,

I pick these cards up from time to time if cheap/interesting.  After reading your post I grabbed my 3-4 shoe boxes full of exhibit cards to take a look.  I fully expected to find a couple examples to share but can only confirm your finding that these 1931 & 1935 Girlie types are uncommon.
I don't have any examples.  I found examples of VERY similar cards - 1928 copyright, photos with/ Evans or Alta, different fonts of Exhibit supply - but none of those pictured.

80 pages on this subject...WOW.  Thanks for your hard work/contribution to the collecting!
boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm not surprised; depth of the Great Depression Exhibit cards generally are the toughest subjects to find regardless of subject matter.  The boxing run in that era is excruciating to complete because there are a few dozen cards that came and went quickly and probably sold very poorly. Guys you never heard of sell for hundreds of dollars, when they come up, which is hardly ever.  Here are three of the worst offenders, on just about everyone's want lists:

Azteca, Kid.jpg  Corbett, Young skip rope.jpg  Jackson, Peter exhibit.jpg 

We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
nscards

Reply with quote  #4 
Adam,

Are they all from the same set?...and how do I go about acquiring your treatise on Exhibit Boxing Cards? nscards@comcast.net

Reply with quote  #5 
Chris, I sent you an email re the book.  

The term 'set' is a bit misleading for most Exhibit issues.  They had print runs of varying sizes, reused cards in some years, and replaced cards mid-stream in some cases, so a specific 'series' might have different styles of cards and a skewed set count relative to the 32-card printing sheets they used.  Most series counts are 16 (half-sheet), 32, 64, 96 or 108 cards in a given year, but replacements throw off the counts.  The Azteca and Jackson were from the same print run, the Corbett was probably there too give or take a year.  What I do know from decades of chasing these is that you almost never see them for sale; I've seen under 5 of each.  Corbett is probably the toughest and, of course, the HOFer.  

We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
rhettyeakley

Reply with quote  #6 
I checked my box of misc. Exhibits that I have picked up over the years and found a few but they aren't dated 1931 or 1935. I have 4 sepia toned ones dated 1927, which I don't know that I had seen before (which is why I probably picked them up) and a pair of blue tint undated examples. Honestly, I tend to steer clear of the girlie cards as my wife doesn't seem to appreciate them as much [smile]

[exhibitgirls1927] 
[exhibitgirlsnodate] 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.