Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #1 
I've used a snipe service for bidding on ebay for a very long time (as I'm sure most of you do as well). Finally this week I started seeing this posted on my snipe site:

Sorry, eBay has started to make you put in a code to place any bids on the site at this time, which blocks the site from working. Most likely your bid will fail to be placed.

It seems they have setup a system to block the site, and I dont know if they will allow bids to be placed anymore. Seems the site will probably have to close down after years of helping people bid on auctions.

I had another service I used and tried them yesterday and that bid was also blocked.

Is everyone else having this problem? I've tried looking up a solution on the net with no luck. I cannot fathom why the geniuses over at ebay have further ruined their site. On the bid that failed, nobody won. So I lost out, the seller lost out, and ebay did not collect any fees. I'm sure they will say it's about security but I think that's crap.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
(besides stop collecting anything and instead concentrate on my gardening skills)

Reply with quote  #2 
Well, I also have been having problems with esnipe although of a slightly different nature..

The message comes on that I am no longer connected to Ebay and I must re-establish the connection between Ebay and Esnipe..

I go through all the steps and all is OK...for a week or two and then the same message comes on...

Been happening now for a few months..

Tried contacting esnipe with no results..
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #3 
Some folks who only snipe won't even bother bidding.  Ebay is restraining their own trade.

Reply with quote  #4 
I used my not often used "auction sniper" yesterday with no problems. Happy to win a couple of great store cards from duke hidden in plain sight in an auction - although at least one person saw them - haven't looked yet.

Reply with quote  #5 
Ken,
That sounds to me like ebay's normal bidding. Just place your top bid and ebay will bid for you if someone else bids. I don't think that is a snipe.

PS: I also forgot to mention that the site I used (which I never had a problem with) was totally FREE! I didn't cost me a dime.

Reply with quote  #6 
I can't remember the last time I placed an ebay bid without using a snipe service. For many years I used Gavel Snipe but after the most recent problems I finally had enough, and switched over to Gixen which costs six dollars a year. So far so good.
Larry
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Larry! I'll check them out.

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, I use Gixen too and no issues to report. All has worked well for the last year. Nominal $6 a year.
joshleland

Reply with quote  #9 
I have been a happy Gixen customer for years and its only like $10 a year

Reply with quote  #10 
Incredible. Just when you think they couldn't mess up their business even more, this comes along. I wish I had bought eBay stock back when they first started... just so I could dump it all now in protest.

Come to think of it, they even ripped people off when they originally offered their stock. Only stock broker insiders were allowed to purchase it, and everyone else had to buy their shares from THEM after paying an extra $50 per share premium (or whatever their "rape the fools" rate was). They make all their money off the labor of others, at electronic speed, never lifting a finger. They have no inventory, no labor costs, no required office hours-- and they STILL aren't satisfied unless their profit margins continue to expand. Sickening. 

Reply with quote  #11 
Sorry..no issues here.

Won a couple of snipes the other day and placed a couple today with no problems with Gavelsnipe.
Amit

MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey Amit - sent you a PM.  Did you see it?
[wave]

Reply with quote  #13 
Amit,
That's interesting about Gavelsnipe. That was the 2nd one I tried that failed with a blocked bid.

Reply with quote  #14 
Put one in yesterday and when i got my daily gavelsnipe report this morning it shows up.
Amit
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #15 
Amit,
I only knew it failed after the auction finished and I didn't win.

b1.jpg 

Reply with quote  #16 
Todd

I've had that happen to me twice in the past year but it was always on a European snipe bid...seems they failed to convert my snipe which was placed in the proper Currency..

Amit

that is very annoying to lose something when you bid higher than the final price.

If it's something i really want i put in a bid(max bid too) on ebay and then a higher Snipe bid..the system is smart enough to ensure you don't bid against yourself.
carbking

Reply with quote  #17 
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I wish Ebay would upgrade to a "soft close", thereby eliminating sniping for good!

Jon

If you think "one size fits all" - try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
oldernie

Reply with quote  #18 
Todd   I do not know very much about computers, but it appears that your snipe was blocked by the Captcha program that ebay started,( up here in Canada at least, about 4 weeks ago). Every time I now try to sign in to my account at ebay I have to go through this Captcha routine in which you have to physically count how many cars etc appear in a photo or move a piece of a jigsaw to line up with a space. The whole thing is a pain in the rear and would appear to me to be to stop all snipe programs.  They always say it will not be every time you sign in that this routine will be required so maybe that is why some snipes go through and some don't.

Ernie Clarke
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #19 
Thanks Ernie. That makes sense. Although, that warning on the snipe site I was using for the past several years just appeared. So I wonder if ebay recently changed the frequency the Captcha program is run when ebay is accessed like the snipe services do. I did sign up for the the one recommended here and the ebay access setup was different. On the old one I set up with my ebay login and password - so they had to match. The new one you use a completely different ID and password and then you have to grant access to your ebay account by logging in to ebay once. This was the same thing I had to do with the auction upload software I use that is still working. So I'm guessing ebay changed something on accessing ebay the way my old snipe site was doing it (and all other snipe sites that do it that same way).
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.