Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
The Duke Cameo Studies post by Jeff here, has piqued my interest in this iconic brand.

I've done a skim through old newspaper clippings and there is some interesting advertising. Here's a full-page advert to get us started from April 1888, around 2 years after the introduction of the brand - isn't it great!

Full page langtry and theo - April 1888.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #2 
The precise date the brand was introduced is a little unclear - here's the first advert I can find from February 1886, which includes the special patent holders, but no mention of boxes.

And the (now familiar) post about how Duke introduced sliding boxes, which notes the introduction of the brand in boxes in May 1886.

But by this August 1886 advert (below) there is still no mention of boxes.

Further below, I've added a picture of the Duke Cameo sliding box, noting a patent of 20 July 1886 for the mouth pieces and the sliding box patent of 28 September 1886.

Cameo first advert - Feb 1886.jpg 

box - 1886 take off with Duke.jpg
Cameo advert - Aug 1886.jpg  Cameo cig packet and patent dates.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #3 
And a competition in September 1886:

Cameo advert - Sep 1886 - rhyme request.jpg 

And the winning entry (presumably), from October, with (finally) a reference to a sliding box:

Cameo advert - Oct 1886 - rhyme winner.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #4 
And the first mention of insert cards I can find, from March 1887:

Cameo advert - Mar 1887 - first card insert.jpg

And no further mentions of cards (in this first pass through) until a year later, April 1888 when we get back to the full-page advert at the top of this post - here's a smaller version from May 1888.

Cameo advert - May 1888 - cards theo and langtry.jpg

And the Miss Langtry picture:

Cameo advert - May 1888 - langtry.jpg

But some problems with the prize draw....

Cameo advert - Sept 1888 - competition postponed.jpg 

Update on 29 September:

Cameo advert - Sept 1888 - competition 29 Sept.jpg 
But, sadly, no prize giving snippet I can find.

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #5 
I have quite a bit of early Duke and Ginter "stuff". Love all you are doing Tim - so I went digging for the following. Scans from my phone - first time trying it - if you need actual scans to see it LMK. Haven't even had time to look it over :-)

Attached Images
jpeg cameo1.jpg (58.12 KB, 11 views)
jpeg cameo2.jpg (68.47 KB, 10 views)
jpeg cameo3.jpg (56.92 KB, 10 views)

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #6 
Great share - the Puck magazine from October 1886 ties in nicely with the poem competition snippets above. And reveals the winner, plus the second and third entries. The cigarette sales progression is also interesting. If I ever piece this early history of Thomas H Hall through to Duke and A&G together, I think the sales volumes will be quite interesting to see, side by side. Could do with a slightly better scan of the competition winners page - its not fully legible.

Anyone out there got the details of the 1888 competition winner(s) of the Mlle Theo and Mrs Langtry prize pictures, or perhaps an original "51x38 inch" framed portrait?

Anyone plotted the Duke series dates, precisely?

I know Joe has had a good go at the A&G dates of at least some of the sets in the 1888-1890 period.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.