Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Terry G.

Reply with quote  #1 

Forgive the lame pun. Looking for some help on these dog cards. I’ve consulted a few contacts and no luck so far. This is what I can tell you:

1.) I have 19 of these cards ranging in number from 2 to 24. This might mean that a complete set is 24 or 25 cards

2.) They are around the size of tobacco cards—38 mm X 75 mm

3.) They have a glossy coating on both sides and the backs are blank

4.) Seven of the cards have a “Printed in U.S.A.” designation

5.) The German Shepherd and Poodle cards are bilingual (French atop English)

6.) It looks like card #9 (Collie) has a printer’s alignment mark

7.) They reference “World-Wide” as the manufacturer and/or distributor

8.) The globes featured on each are either black or brown

9.) Someone suggested that they could be pre-war based on the drawings of some of the breeds—they look more like cards from the 60s to me

I believe that the 2 bilingual cards of the German Shepherd and the Poodle are Canadian and were intended for the Quebec market which is where they were obtained. But what about the rest of them? Were these American cards meant for Canadian distribution? If so, why aren’t they all bilingual? Why do only some have the “Printed in U.S.A.” designation? Lastly, who is "World-Wide?" Could it be World Wide Gum?

Any help regarding their origin and year would be greatly appreciated. I know you all love mysteries! Thanks.

World-Wide Dogs 3.jpg 

World-Wide Dogs 1.jpg  World-Wide Dogs 2.jpg 

sthoemke

Reply with quote  #2 
Many of the drawings appear to be modeled after the pictures in the 1937 Wills Dog set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1937-Willss-Tobacco-Cigarette-Cards-Dogs-Full-Set-of-50/124201324871?hash=item1ceaf9d147:g:GcsAAOSw5ztezbsz

BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #3 
Terry,if you have plans on doing the set.PLMK.I have two of the cards.But I believe only one that you do not show.
I just always thought they were reprints of something since the paper stock was so thin. Thanks.

Terry G.

Reply with quote  #4 
Steve,

I forgot to mention that the pre-war reference was to artist Arthur Wardle who did the 1937 Wills. You're right on. Quite a few seemed to have been based on that artwork. Thanks.

Winston,

Yes, they do have a thin stock and I think these cards definitely reused and remodeled previous artwork. I do have both of your cards but interestingly, your #3 Chow card has the "Printed in the U.S.A" mark and mine does not. I would be interested in them. Thanks.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G.

Winston,

Yes, they do have a thin stock and I think these cards definitely reused and remodeled previous artwork. I do have both of your cards but interestingly, your #3 Chow card has the "Printed in the U.S.A" mark and mine does not. I would be interested in them. Thanks.

If you want to email me your mailing address I will drop them in the mail on Thursday. It also appears that one of the cards in longer(wider ) than the other.Cannot promise you when they will get to you since mail seems a bit slow with this covit-19 thing going on.Thanks.
Terry G.

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks, Winston. Email sent.
Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #7 
It is interesting that the dogs are clearly brown on Terry's Chow and Corgi, while Winston's versions are gray.

Reply with quote  #8 
A good observation, Bill! Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.