2. Rocket Construction Base
  3. Super Strato-Liner
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?

Can anyone help me fill in the blanks?

Reply with quote  #2 
John - 

This is how I've updated the NSB write-up and checklist for this set since 2007...

This very popular space set was presumably printed on a 42-card sheet (as seen for other Tip-Tip sets of the era). This created short-printed cards that are in very high demand as they are the ones that typically prevent one from completing a set. Observation of internet auctions seems to support this theory (and identify the short-printed cards - although this remains supposition until a print sheet surfaces). These  six cards command a premium commensurate not only with their scarcity but also as a result of the demand generated by set builders. High grade examples of any card can often command suprisingly high figures  when more than one set builder require the same card.   On the other hand, significant numbers of high grade examples of regular printed card still exist which “lures” unsuspecting new collectors into starting the set and maintains demand/value for the short-prints. (ACC# D94-4)

CHECKLIST: 

(1) Early Flying Saucer
(2) Exploring Uncharted Moon [sp]
(3) Heli-Jet (4) Interplanetary Liner
(5) Inter-Stellar Security Fleet
(6) Ionosphere Cruiser
(7) Martian Troop Carrier
(8) Outer Space Refueling Station
(9) Outer Space Repair Crew
(10) Outer Space Repair Station
(11) Rocket Construction Base [sp]
(12) Rocket Freighter [sp]
(13) Solar Cargo Carrier [sp]
(14) Solar Transport
(15) Space Carrier
(16) Space-Port Launching Chute
(17) Strato-Cruiser
(18) Strato Racer
(19) Strato Rocket Pilot
(20) Strato Sedan
(21) Super Strato-Liner [sp]
(22) Universal Police Observation
(23) Venus Rail Car [sp]
(24) Venus Space Port

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscards

(ACC# D94-4)

CHECKLIST: 

(1) Early Flying Saucer
(2) Exploring Uncharted Moon [sp]
(3) Heli-Jet (4) Interplanetary Liner
(5) Inter-Stellar Security Fleet
(6) Ionosphere Cruiser
(7) Martian Troop Carrier
(8) Outer Space Refueling Station
(9) Outer Space Repair Crew
(10) Outer Space Repair Station
(11) Rocket Construction Base [sp]
(12) Rocket Freighter [sp]
(13) Solar Cargo Carrier [sp]
(14) Solar Transport
(15) Space Carrier
(16) Space-Port Launching Chute
(17) Strato-Cruiser
(18) Strato Racer
(19) Strato Rocket Pilot
(20) Strato Sedan
(21) Super Strato-Liner [sp]
(22) Universal Police Observation
(23) Venus Rail Car [sp]
(24) Venus Space Port

Great info and this is the exact place for it.  I've been diligently building this set for over 15 years.  Of course, I hit a speed bump, but I have been able to whittle my wantlist down to 8 cards.  I won't say I haven't seen examples of these cards, but they have been at too a high price point for me to consider.

So going to your list, Chris, I emboldened the 8 cards I've been seeking 4ever.  I have 3 of the 6 short prints you list in pretty decent shape.  The one sp I wouldn't agree with is Venus Rail Car - I think it's the Venus Space Port card that is the hard to find one.  There's currently one for sale on ebay for $325.00.

I wonder, though, if it's possible that some of the cards on the sheet are triple printed?  Some cards, like Solar Transport and one of the repair cards, seem to be much easier to obtain then others.  Perhaps there are triple, double and single prints? 

Sure would be nice to find an uncut sheet.

Reply with quote  #4 
I got sucked into this set by the art and the fact it's from my birth year. I am down to needing a single card. There are apparently some multiples of a card or two listed as scarce or tough that were not difficult and a couple that should have been more plentiful that weren't. Prices and condition seemed all over the place. My set is mixed - it's been like a year/year and a half. I had little to no idea what to pay along the way. So little pricing data that "I" could find. I'm pretty sure overall I likely paid about 25% premium to just "get" many of the cards when I saw them.....

John Shupek
Reply with quote  #5 
Chris,

Thanks for the update.  I'm in the process of upgrading my skytamer.com D94-4 page and also creating a D94-4 YouTube video for my Skytamer Images YouTube channel.

Have you ever considered turning the NSB into a PPV website or PDF that you can update on the fly?  That way you could include color pictures, make it a password protected subscription site that would bring in a nice revenue stream.

I'll upload my D94-4 video later today.

Best wishes and thanks.

John 

Reply with quote  #6 
hi from the UK,
Hope everyone is keeping safe.
I only have one card from this set......'Space-port Launching Chute', never seen any others on this side of the pond.
Be well
Gary
nscards

Reply with quote  #7 
John,

Since the 2007 publication of the NSB - 1st edition, I've constantly been adding to, updating, editing and converting everything to color. Perhaps the most important aspect (in my mind at least) is I've actively worked on a cataloguing system that would account for every single known card, but also leave options for additions as new are discovered (those pesky little numbers beneath the single card images). It now all amounts to ~2400 pages of info (covering slightly more than the "1st Century" of non-sports), so it'd would have to either be 3-4 print volumes or some form of digital enterprise (which I suppose it is set up to be, since Quark is my publishing software, although I'd have to enlist some serious assistance to make the latter happen). Regardless, I figured 2022 would be the earliest (although to be honest - the date has moved several times....just hard to find enough time). I've made a few attempts at trying to enlist some editorial assistance on sections by setting up a google drive, but it always seems to "peter out" -  again, so many time conflicts.

I'm 53 and the kids are all out on their own now, so I'd like to think that I'd get it out at some point (in my lifetime), but there's always something coming up. I'm actually in the process of moving from Philly back to New Orleans to return to the institution where I did my surgery training (and met my wife) many years ago. I figure that I'll have some time to actively work on it, so we'll see what the next few months brings (won't we all).

Chris

John Shupek
Reply with quote  #8 
Chris,

I know exactly what you're going through. I've been working on my Skytamer.com website for 22 years now. Only God knows how many times have gone thru various iterations for the site, the latest of course being my YouTube channel.

Bob Dros has been working on his encyclopedia for many years now. I talked to Bob (via email) a couple of weeks ago and he said he was hoping to get his encyclopedia (aviation cards only) out by June. However, due to the virus, that date most likely will be pushed back substantially. When I talked with him both he and his wife were okay.

The point is that Bob like you and me have all been working on these things for decades. I'm going on 79 and I hope I have a few good years left in me for I go horizontal.

Anyway, it sounds like you have things pretty much under control.

By the way if you need any scans of anything please let me know and I'll send them to you. Or, you can simply go to my website and click on images and download 600 dpi scans of most the cards. The website includes both original scans and computer enhanced scans to make the cards look like the original issue.

John

Reply with quote  #9 
I have a few thoughts on this issue to share. I have been collecting it for about 40 years. I'm down to needing 2 and it is the 2 that rarely turn up. Many years ago (probably about 30 years ago) a collector contacted me who claimed to have an uncut sheet. I did not see it, but he claimed it had a single complete set of 24 on it and he had it professionally cut down. I got some of the duplicates he had between that sheet and the ones he currently had. Again, I didn't see it and if I assume he wasn't lying and the sheet was indeed complete it could be possible there are no real short-printed cards.

I have also collected "food" type cards my entire life (including up to the present day). I can't tell you how many times I have bought 8 of something at one store to try and make a set and you end up with only 1 or 2 different cards. It didn't take me long to realize that I would have better odds if I would only buy a couple at a time at one store but go to lots of different stores. This has always worked out better and I would get a larger variety of the cards.

If you have been collecting this set for a while you definitely see waves of large quantities of certain titles, but these titles change. A few years ago at the National a friend purchased a large group of these from a dealer. He got a lot of 64 cards. However, there were only 8 different titles and the quantities of each title varied from 4 to 8 of each. A few of the titles, like "Exploring Uncharted Moon" which is supposedly a short-print, he had 6 or 7 of. Yet common titles like "Early Flying Saucer" he had none of.

So basing things on my own experiences, I think this set suffers mostly from horrendous distribution. So if you shopped at the same store buying multiple loaves of bread, you would get many multiples of the same titles. Other stores in other areas of the country would get multiples of other titles (as well as multiples of the same titles). This (IMO) is the reason you see these "waves" of large quantities of titles that were thought to be short-printed which are plentiful for a period and then dry up. Every time a stash of these hits the market a different "wave" of titles enters the marketplace. 

So I keep waiting for the next "wave" that will have the 2 I need to finally finish my set. (Maybe it's in Greg's friend's storage unit!)

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.