Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
monsterwax

Reply with quote  #1 

KSuglyPromoWeb.jpg
Wrapper
readers probably noticed my last page ad for a new Kickstarter of Horrible Ugly Monsters. These are crude, stylized monster cards, similar to the last dozen or so drawn cards in the original Terror Monster Green series. (Only in full color, and instead of jokes on the back, they have original "Monster Tales".) 

These will be a full wax release, complete with a sister chase card series of "Krazy Cover" cards, featuring the cool cover art from Xex Magazine, including the amazing low brow monster covers of co-founder Xno (who painted 43 of the 54 Dinosaur Attacks cards for Topps.) 

I've had a lot of fun working on this series and although they are not vintage in a date sense, they are very vintage and retro is style. Any self respecting Monster card collector should check them out to see if they are their cup of pee. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterwax/horrible-ugly-monsters-trading-cards-the-set-and-wax-boxes?ref=3tru3l

Have a monstrous Memorial Day! 

Reply with quote  #2 
You gotta hand it to me: I sure know when to run Kickstarters! My last project lined up with the beginning of the COVID epidemic and lockdown, while THIS Kickstarter started on the very day of the race riots! (Memorial day.) Fortunately, we passed the funding goals before the violence and destruction broke out, so the founding backers have an alibi in case they are accused of looting... But I'm beginning to feel like I shouldn't do these things without risking a national tragedy of some kind. (Maybe the next one should wait until AFTER 9/11, just to play it safe!) 

Crazy times... Imagine the "Scoops" set they could produce today! 

Reply with quote  #3 
Only today "Scoops" would be called "Fake News"!

The set looks great, Kurt! I can't wait to receive mine.
monsterwax

Reply with quote  #4 
That WOULD be a funny sequel, JR. We could call it "Fake Scoops!" 

Reply with quote  #5 
We're down to the last 48 hours of the Horrible Ugly Monster Kickstarter, and up to nearly $5K. It's been a hoot working on the large sub set of "Krazee Cover" cards (taken from Xex Graphic's 1980s covers). These have lots of famous artists-- before they were famous, including Kaz, Dennis Worden, Jeff Gaither, and Mark Newgarden. Their covers are a real blast from the past! This series has waited nearly three DECADES to get published, and now it's finally happening, thanks Kickstarter supporters.

Check out this Wolverton influenced cover by Worden, and a nightmarish FEAR cover by Gaither. (Jeff has gone on to do a lot of eye-grabbing heavy metal album covers-- no surprise there!) Fun stuff!HUMcoverSample4.jpg 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.