Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
jim
Reply with quote  #51 
2nd best guess

Trio gum corp
Tom Boblitt
Reply with quote  #52 
too Jim........funny. Maybe the B/W thing........
Dan C
Reply with quote  #53 
TRIO GUM CORP -

a Pennsylvania corporation, with it's principal place of business

located in Phila, PA, and Edward Rosenberg and Louis Karloff,

officers thereof, engaged in the manufacture, sale, and distribution

of chewing gum.

Mark
Reply with quote  #54 
Dillingers gum of choice was American Chicle Black Jack .
Chuck Ross
Reply with quote  #55 
I'm with Jim also, that is actually what I meant...if you had the cards needed to form Dillinger's image, then you got the prize
mr.moses
Reply with quote  #56 
anyone believes there is a separate dillinger card.... Just wouldn't make sense.
Mark
Reply with quote  #57 
I think we might be getting close to what the ' prize ' might have been but we're still off course for the issuer .

I wonder who the other Gangsters are in the set ?
Jason Gorham
Reply with quote  #58 
I wonder if any of the comic books back from the 40's such as "Crime Does Not Pay" has any references to the cards? Would the company that produced the cards advertised their product in a comic book? Perhaps. Anyone here have some of the older issues of this comic book they could browse through and check? Maybe just a wild goose chase...but worth searching.

I find it strange that we at least have a picture of a wrapper for most of the card sets produced back in the day, but not one wrapper or even a photo of a wrapper for this card set has ever surfaced.

Makes me wonder if it wasn't a test set, and never brought to market.
Chuck Ross
Reply with quote  #59 
I guess since the set was called Crime Did Not Pay we should expect that every card in the set will represent a gangster who had been captured or killed. In that sense, perhaps Dillinger was the ultimate case (at that time) of crime not paying, so even two years later he made sense as the premium image. Another question, which I think Dan has brought up, is about the side images on each card. Do these represent actual people or just caricatures of gangster types?

Chuck Ross
Reply with quote  #60 
I guess since the set was called Crime Did Not Pay we should expect that every card in the set will represent a gangster who had been captured or killed. In that sense, perhaps Dillinger was the ultimate case (at that time) of crime not paying, so even two years later he made sense as the premium image. Another question, which I think Dan has brought up, is about the side images on each card. Do these represent actual people or just caricatures of gangster types?

Mark
Reply with quote  #61 
if this mug shot is correct they're a bunch of sinister looking guys ...

Mark
Reply with quote  #62 
if this mug shot is correct they're a bunch of sinister looking guys ...

Chuck Ross
Reply with quote  #63 
Thanks for piecing that together Mark, it certainly looks like a caricature and not a real person to me
Chuck Ross
Reply with quote  #64 
Thanks for piecing that together Mark, it certainly looks like a caricature and not a real person to me
Bill
Reply with quote  #65 
I was reading one of the other threads that mentioned there are several sets that acquired a name different from what is on the box due to the titles on the backs of the cards. I wonder if that could be what happened here. The card backs have the title "Crime Did Not Pay". Maybe the wrapper and/or box have a different title. Is anyone aware of a 30's era wrapper that is not assigned to a known set that could possibly fit this set?
Bill
Reply with quote  #66 
I was reading one of the other threads that mentioned there are several sets that acquired a name different from what is on the box due to the titles on the backs of the cards. I wonder if that could be what happened here. The card backs have the title "Crime Did Not Pay". Maybe the wrapper and/or box have a different title. Is anyone aware of a 30's era wrapper that is not assigned to a known set that could possibly fit this set?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.