Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #1 

Just a note to have everyone check in with what's going on in their area.  I've emailed a few people that I know were in hotspots to check on them but can't remember everyone.  

In KY it's not nearly as bad as some states.  Our population is about 5M and we've had about 2400 cases and ~100 deaths.  We went on quarantine pretty quickly.  Our current population of bourbon barrels has surpassed 9M and I've done my darnedest to knock out my 2 barrels in the last 4 weeks.

I've been working from home and the kids have been schooling from home for almost 4 weeks now with a 'spring break' week in between.  Our 14 year old is graduating 8th grade this year and was supposed to have a play this week and a trip to DC/NY next week but, of course, those are both cancelled.

I'm trying to keep my mom/dad (81/82) from travelling out as they're both compromised with things that would cause COVID to wreak some major damage.  They're pretty active at those ages and are getting stir crazy.  

Anyway.....hope and pray that this will be on the way out over the next 2-4 weeks and life can slowly get back to some normalcy.  Hope everyone here is taking precautions and limiting contacts and positive thoughts to all of you.

carbking

Reply with quote  #2 
Miller County Missouri - knock on wood - no reported cases yet.

Have been working from home since 1985, no change.

Both my wife and I started the precautions long before mandatory. 

Jon.

If you think "one size fits all" - try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
toppcat

Reply with quote  #3 
In the midst of it here on Long Island-we are hunkered down and not going out except for anything essential. Wife and I work from home, our daughter is an essential worker (Stop & Shop). We are thinking this may go into July at a minimum....

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
Bob Kuhl

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm doing okay.  Ohio went into lockdown pretty early on.  I'm still working, but other than groceries and such, staying in.  No problems or symptoms healthwise. Just being careful.  My best to all of you and your families.  - Bob Kuhl
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #5 
South Florida kind of scary. I know of 7 people in my 55 and over community here (800+ homes) that have it/ have had it. Played cards up until February with 3 of them - ouch. Maybe I got it and am asymptomatic. I would hope for that. I go out every few days - gloved and masked. Nearly impossible to find gloves, masks, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, Clorox wipes, and a list too long and too unreal. Quit smoking cigarettes as I'm already old and compromised. Most businesses are closed - restaurants trying the pickup/takeout route but it's tenuous.

Hopefully together we will find a reasoned way to resume our lives. Some BIG decisions to be made - I pray for the decision makers and their actions.

Reply with quote  #6 
Still on auto-pilot here in Columbus, OH. Kids doing school from home, me working from home and rarely leaving the house (I used to only leave to go to work or to shows). The wife does the shopping so we are all fine for now. I do think this thing is blown way out of proportion to reality. Hopefully I'm right and things will get back to normal(ish) soon!

Reply with quote  #7 
We locked down on March 13th; our daughter is graduating with a degree in biology of infectious diseases and she warned us about this well ahead of the authorities.  If we could get her an antibody test, it would likely confirm that she had the bug in late February.  Got it from a lab manager at school who came back from the SF area sick.  

I am a sole practitioner lawyer with no staff.  I've been back to the office a few times to get records for clients on an urgent basis only.  That said, I work out of a class B office building with no one else in my office at all, and I've cut off all janitorial, so I can go from my car into my office and see and encounter no one, and no one has been in my office for a month now.  I am probably going to start going back to the office 2-3 days a week because working at my dining room table is just killing my back.  

We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
Steve_NY

Reply with quote  #8 
Living in Westchester County, about 25 minutes from New Rochelle, we started staying at home and not eating out or seeing friends early on -- probably around March 11 or so. Two of my sons' clients are the World Health Organization and the Gates Foundation, so he read us the riot act sometime that week or before or maybe even earlier; who remembers.

My wife and I are retired and only go out of the house for: prescriptions or groceries or to deliver food to my mother in law (95) and her caretaker in Bayside Queens. None of us get close to each other even during that time. While out I am 100% paranoid about wearing masks and gloves and wipe everything down with Lysol wipes or spray. 

I am hopeful that everyone will listen to their elected officials and as the states reopen, make their own mind up about how to react to their instructions. Personally, until there is (1) some form of treatment that helps once you contract the virus, or (2) there is a vaccine or shot to keep you from getting the virus, we will be wearing masks, etc. and not venturing out much. Let's hope that happens sometime soon.

I would rather be safe than sorry.

Steve 

swarmee

Reply with quote  #9 
Doing fine up here in the FL panhandle.  Going to work half the time since I'm in an essential position (military civilian).  Thanks for checking.  

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #10 
If you do have to go out and don't have a mask. You can try this easy to make at home version...

b1.jpg 

Or if you want to go out with a group of non-sport buddies, try this....
b2.jpg 

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee
Doing fine up here in the FL panhandle.  Going to work half the time since I'm in an essential position (military civilian).  Thanks for checking.  

You at Eglin?  I'm a civilian engineer at Redstone Arsenal, a few hours north in Huntsville AL.

For the last five weeks I've been working from home, and expect to keep doing so for a while.  My wife, who works for NASA, is doing the same (although her laptop is a poor excuse for her CAD workstation at her office).   My son's school (7th grade) went to distance learning on 16 March, and while he misses his tennis team, things are going pretty well.

The coronavirus hasn't hit very hard here in Madison County (196 cases, 4 deaths, out of 370k people). 
Spike

Reply with quote  #12 
Massachusetts is connected enough to the New York area that we saw impact soon after they did. Been working from my Cambridge dining room table since March 13, the S.O. and I wear masks for our needed trips outside, and we assume it'll be another month or so before there's meaningful day-to-day change. My grandma (99, Kentucky) and a brother (42, Utah) both tested positive for COVID early in the month. Grandma's asymptomatic so far and my brother's recuperating at home with bearable symptoms, so we're fortunate. Best wishes to everyone going through recovery or just the waiting game.
fallbrookjack

Reply with quote  #13 
Doing well here in Fallbrook, CA.  I miss my two daughters and my Grand-daughter Molly.  She's 5 1/2 and developing so quickly it makes my head spin.  I wonder what profound effects this quarantine will have on her as the decades pass.  My Mom (born 1919) always had little quirky things she did because she had experienced the Great Depression.  Or maybe the whole thing will blow over and be forgotten like so many "earth shaking" events. 

It occurred to me that we've all had devastating events in our lives - deaths, sickness, accidents, financial crisis, acts of nature,etc. and we've adjusted, gotten through it and moved on.  But this is the first time we've seen it happen to everyone at once.  Weird times.  - Jack J.
lcummins

Reply with quote  #14 
Finally returned to work this past Tuesday! Off from March 30 through May 22, and it’s good to be back! I did have extra time to search eBay while I was off and picked up a lot of type cards and wrappers I’d been meaning to acquire for years! I’ll post in the pickup thread once the last few items trickle in. Let’s just say that April started off fantastically with the “Bobby Sherman Plaks” pack I got and it just keep going from there! 🤪

Reply with quote  #15 
as people are going out now - I'm staying in. I figure another 2-3 weeks might be enough to see what's happening out there. I've been patient all this time....

Reply with quote  #16 
Well nothing changed for me. I haven’t missed a day of since I’m considered essential. All vacations were revoked so we could never take off. I could really use a few days away from the railroad.
toppcat

Reply with quote  #17 
All good still, working from home continues for me and the wife, my office likely will not reopen this year (Manhattan).

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
Tuff30s

Reply with quote  #18 
Doing ok, hoping the university where I work as a professor will be open this fall and that I survive teaching the classes.  My wife is a nurse so she is close to the front lines but so far so good.
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #19 
Glad to see no close-to-home cases reported on this thread - here in the hills of Hollyweird all is well with us.  Going to visit another human being today for the first time since early March.   I understand earthlings have some odd habits...

I'm in an essential industry - most of my salesmen have stayed completely at home because we're set up to work from home.  However, I manage my branch so I had to stop in occasionally in March and April to make sure the place hadn't burned down.  But May has been interesting.  Due to furloughs, we had an opportunity to pick up a very talented salesman from within our customer base.  He knows literally nothing about the technical and application aspects of our products, so I've had to do some intensive training.   If anybody is familiar with training someone and communicating emphasis and sincerity, imagine trying to do it when you both are wearing masks...

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.