Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
Spurred on by Daniel's marvellous effort to finish his H509 set of 50, with the card shown below (and Tom's effort to get to 49 before this), I've started a post on the incredible 1893 Columbian Exposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-sports daniel

I don't know the whole history of my set, but I did nab Tom's partial set right before Todd was going to. Tom had it at 49 of 50 needing only the one. Not sure if he built it or acquired it that way. I think he missed out on an Art Gallery with a Snipe that he thought was for sure going to get it. I saw someone list four or five of the discs last week or the week before (I can't remember) but not Art Gallery. I contacted the seller through eBay and asked if they had one. To my delight they did. They listed it with a buy it now that I'm sure they thought was high; it was not. Very happy to have the set complete. I'd be happy to scan them for a gallery addition if there is interest.

This set was cool for me as my wife is a huge fan of the 1893 World's Fair. If she could time travel this is where she would go. There is no cross over between my collecting and her interests other than this set so that's pretty special.

Chase and Sanborn.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #2 
For those not familiar, an introduction to the Columbian exposition is provided below:

Wiki 1893.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #3 
Around 15 years earlier, a young Joseph Koehler was making his way as a printer, stationer and lithographer.

In 1878, he helped B Pollak with the design and printing of some actress cigarette cards, to insert in his Marquis cigarettes, an 'all tobacco cigarette' brand that Pollak had bought from Joseph M. Sichel.

5. Pollak cigarette packets.jpg

These Marquis cigarette cards (N513) were a copy of the design (front and back) of the cards inserted in the popular Thomas H Hall "Between the Acts" cigarettes at the time. Later in 1879, Joseph Koehler used this design as the base for the famous Marquis of Lorne (N519) cards that were distributed by the cigar department of the American News Company.

2. Clipper zoom.jpg 

4. Cards.jpg 

You can see the Jos Koehler, Lith, NY wording at the foot of his cards, if you look closely.

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #4 
Over the next 15 or so years, Koehler built his stationery / printing business, apparently by designing greeting cards of various types, plus some patent medicines distribution as a side line.

Jefferson Burdick took a close interest in postcards and wrote two books on the subject. The first one, Pioneer Cards (1956), describes “The Story of Mailing Cards to 1898, with an Illustrated Checklist of Publishers and Titles”. In the earliest days, the government controlled the postal card supply. As Burdick recounts, “The late development of the view card in America was not due to lack of private enterprise but because the Postoffice Department insisted on regulations which could only make them unpopular. The World Columbian Exposition of 1893 really broke the souvenir view card impasse in America. As far as known, no such cards had appeared in America previous to this date.

The enterprising Koehler was not going to miss out on the opportunity to produce merchandise for the 1893 exposition. Several postal card series were issued for the 1893 exposition, but Koehler’s set of 12 cards is prized amongst postcard collectors. In 1956 Burdick catalogs this series as 8X1 – 8X12, but again, like others after him, fails to notice these cards were printed by the very same Joseph Koehler who also printed the cigarette cards for N513 and N519. In ACC 1960, the Koehler postcards are also referenced as set PC183.

6. Columbian exposition 1893.jpg 

Joseph Koehler has been credited (incorrectly) with printing the first insert cigarette card (MoL) and, maybe correctly, with printing the first souvenir card (postcard) in the USA (postcards were published outside the USA earlier than this). Quite a feat!

Koehler went on to publish many postcards - if you look on eBay you can find many of his postcards selling for around $10 (B&W) and around $20+ for colour and the more highly prized and very beautiful 'hold to the light' (HTL) cards. If you want one of the 12 exposition cards, like the one above, you may need to spend quite a bit more. Its not unusual for a set of 12 of these cards to sell for around $500.

Perhaps some of you have advertising cards or other info on the 1893 exposition?

vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #5 

Great subject.......
EXTREMELY popular set of (16) Stamps were issued at the Columbian Exposition.  The high $$ stamps are very valuable.  The lower value stamps were affixed to the T404 American Tobacco Company (ATC) card stocks...............

columbianstamps16.jpg 
The T404 type card.  This one has another stamp on it.  I have 25-30 of these cards and only have the 2 cent version of the Columbian stamps.  Does anyone have any others?  The 1 cent is a cheap stamp and should be found on a card.

T404.jpg 

And I'm REALLY glad Daniel found that card.  I held that set for a LONG time before I gave up.  I lost one of those Art Gallery cards on ebay at like $50-$60 when the singles typically sold for $7-10.  So I sold the 49/50 near set thinking it was about an impossible task to complete.  Glad he did!

teza

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the education Tim.

Below is the T404 Tom was asking about.

Jeff

T404 Columbus c.jpg 

vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #7 
Another highly collectible item from the Exposition are the admission tickets.  They were printed by the American Bank Note company which printed money during the period so they're collected by a varied group of people who collect expositions, bank notes, Columbiana and other items.  Really, really beautiful engraved notes with colorful fronts and backs.

c.jpg 
d.jpg 

non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #8 
I collect the tickets; they are beautiful. I have nothing on display anywhere in my house; if you visited you wouldn't know that I collected anything (there's nothing visible in any room, anywhere. No white boxes, no binders, nothing.), however I do have the tickets in floating frames hanging in our guest room. You can see the fronts and backs if you flip the frame over; the backs are as beautiful as the fronts. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pictures.

As always Tim, the amount of information you present is vast, useful, and educational. Thanks!
teza

Reply with quote  #9 
We might as well include the backs.

Jeff

World's Columbian Expo Washington r2.jpg  World's Columbian Expo Columbus r2.jpg  World's Columbian Expo Franklin r.jpg  World's Columbian Expo Lincoln r.jpg  World's Columbian Expo Indian r.jpg    World's Columbian Expo Handel r.jpg

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #10 
Tim - such a great thread (although I'm still crying).

One thing I have from this is an album similar to the tobacco albums (including the string)..
columbian1.jpg  columbian2.jpg 

There are 15 full color pages with huge write-ups (one is 2 pg spread in the center)...
columbian3.jpg  columbian4.jpg  columbian5.jpg 

Reply with quote  #11 
And, of course, the first appearance of Star Trek
borgsgum.jpg 

non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #12 
Resistance is futile!
fallbrookjack

Reply with quote  #13 
Here's a large card from the Exposition that I know little about.  It's 8.5"X11".  Were there others?  - Jack J.

Worlds Fair card 001.jpg 

Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #14 
Here's a few more T404s from WorthPoint.

Austria 5 Kreuzer.jpg 
Austria 5 Kreuzer

Bulgaria 50 Stotinki.jpg
Bulgaria 50 Stotinki

Canada 3 Cents.jpg 
Canada 3 Cents

France 15 Centimes.jpg
France 15 Centimes
   Germany 3 Pfennig.jpg 
Germany 3 Pfennig

Germany 10 Pfennig.jpg 
Germany 10 Pfennig

Germany 20 Pfennig.jpg 
Germany 20 Pfennig

India 1 Anna.jpg
India 1 Anna 

Netherlands ½ Cent.jpg 
Netherlands ½ Cent

Netherlands 5 Cent.jpg
Netherlands 5 Cent

Nicaragua 1 Centavo.jpg 
Nicaragua 1 Centavo

USA 1 Cent.jpg
USA 1 Cent

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.