Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
lcummins

Reply with quote  #1 
The Monty Gum pages thread made me think about this subject in general. Back in the 80's and 90's when 9 pocket pages first showed up, I used them a lot for most of my sets. But then, collector's realized they contained PVC and were damaging cards. I experienced it personally on a set of Renata Galasso "Mars Attacks!" reprint set... the glossy finish stuck to the pages and pulled off when trying to remove the cards. At that point I removed all cards and stickers from 9 pocket pages and quit using them. I turned to Mylar/Mylite sleeves and bags (very expensive at the time) to house my best stuff because it was completely inert and archival. But even those weren't foolproof! I had several "Wacky Packages Cloth Stickers" stick to the mylar sleeves because of the glue seepage and the stickers could not be removed without lifting them off their backing.

So, fast forward 30 or 40 years to the present... what is the best method for archival storage of cards and stickers? Are "penny sleeves" alright to use? I know the 9 pocket pages no longer have PVC and are 'supposed' to be archival, but are they really? What about mylar sleeves and bags... are they still the best (and still the most expensive)? What do you guys use? And do you use something different for stickers? I really want to find the best storage solution for the long-term, that will do no damage, even if it costs a little more. If I would need to replace sleeves or pages every few years, the cost of mylar might not be that bad up front.

Reply with quote  #2 
Most of my cards I store "raw" in cardboard boxes. I like binders, and I have a couple, but they just take up to much room. Todays album pages are much improved from the '80s and I think are considered safe for long term storage.

For cards I want extra protection, I use mylar sleeves. A couple years ago I converted all the cards that I had in "penny sleeves", "card savers", or "semi rigid" holders over to mylar sleeves. I just store the mylar sleeves in a cardboard box.

I've bought 1,000s of mylar sleeves from http://tcverify.com and highly recommend them. I think they once ran an add in the Wrapper? I normally buy the size that fits standard Topps baseball cards, but I think they also make tobacco sized mylar sleeves. They cost about 15 cents each but the more you buy the lower the cost. These mylar sleeves are so clear compared to regular penny sleeves.

TC Verify use to send you a free sample if you contact them over on the website.

Larry

lcummins

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Larry, those do look sharp in the mylar! One of my original issues with mylar sleeves was how tight the cards fit and trying to get them inserted without cutting or nicking the card on the sharp edge of the sleeve. Have they done anything to improve those issues?

So I guess mylar is still king, unless anybody else has something better?

Reply with quote  #4 

Lonnie: I would visit the TC Verify website above and use the form there to contact them. Tell them your plans and concerns and ask for a sample or two. I bet they'll send a couple of mylar sleeves to try.
Larry

lcummins

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry

Lonnie: I would visit the TC Verify website above and use the form there to contact them. Tell them your plans and concerns and ask for a sample or two. I bet they'll send a couple of mylar sleeves to try.
Larry

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.