Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
thebionicbigfoot

Reply with quote  #1 
I know this isn't vintage non-sport, but thought the readers might enjoy this post anyways. As a fan of all Golden Age super heroes, I recently purchased this costume that I believe to have been worn by Buster Crabbe during the Flash Gordon 1940 Series, "Flash Gordon Conquers the World". For those that know me I have spent 10 years evaluating game worn sports jerseys. This article shows the similarities between the two fields and also highlights a great non sport character, Flash Gordon. With so much great knowledge on the board, please let me know if you agree with my methodology and conclusion. Questions may be directed to Troy R. Kinunen, 414-828 -9990, or email troy@mearsonline.com

Buying

Lewis Wilson Batman Cape

Douglas Croft Robin Cape

https://docs.google.com/a/mearsonline.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vQfQHNnfUgDPCO0fTJNyh6NHau-0e80hyDP3_j6dTxcamHNydODnNJztzCnIPxXDSbc82N30rmO1ODE/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=10000

flash 1.jpg 
flash 2.jpg 
flash 3.jpg 
flash 4.jpg 
flash 5.jpg 

flash 6.jpg 

flash 7.jpg 

flash 8.jpg 
flash 9.jpg 

flash 10.jpg 

flash 11.jpg 

flash 12.jpg 

flash 14.jpg 

flash 15.jpg 

Crockettfan

Reply with quote  #2 
Great post.  Thanks.

FLASHGORDON.jpg 

"Be sure you are right, then go ahead."
David Crockett
thebionicbigfoot

Reply with quote  #3 
Great card. That set is on my want list. Troy
Crockettfan

Reply with quote  #4 
I confess to buying that card for Aura, not Flash. 😉

"Be sure you are right, then go ahead."
David Crockett
sci-fi_guy

Reply with quote  #5 
Sweet ! As a collector of 50's sci-fi cards, comics, toys, movie posters, cereal boxes, you name it, one of my most prized items is a jacket worn on Rocky Jones Space Ranger.

Thanks for posting.

boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #6 
Real interesting.  

Oh, and I prefer Ornella Muti as Aura:

[ornella-muti] 

She had great...assets she brought to the role.

We can be heroes, just for one day
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
joshleland

Joshua Leland Evans
Reply with quote  #7 
Great job Troy. Well done.

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Josh. I really enjoyed the research side of this find as it incorporated a lot of what I learned from the game worn jersey authentication side of the business. 

I had a theory that it was worn in the first 1936 Flash Gordon movie, due to the presence of the appearance of the outline of the original starburst (which was white for the first movie). I could match the starburst to several screen shots of the 1936 Flash Gordon movie, but the chain link pattern on the front yoke did not match the 1936 movie. 

Upon closer inspection, although this is not confirmed yet, I have a theory that the original star burst (of which the outline can be seen) and the black front yoke which featured the chain link design was removed for the second, 1938 movie, Flash Gordon Trip to Mars along with the original starburst, which is the outline I am seeing For the 2nd 1938 movie, Flash wore a lighting bolt on the front of his costume. 

Then, for the 1940 movie, Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, the lighting bolt was removed, the current starburst was re-added, and a new front yoke was applied, with the matching chain link which is consistent when you compare the examined tunic to the 1940 movie. 

If this is accurate, this would make it a costume worn by Buster Crabbe in the 1936, 1936, 1940 movies. You can probably tell that I am very excited to own this costume. 

Troy 

oldtix

Reply with quote  #9 
Troy, the same tunic was worn by Robert Rockwell as Jor-El in the first episode of the 1950s "THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN" television series.  
thebionicbigfoot

Reply with quote  #10 
Good eye and nice catch regarding the Super Man usage. I reviewed the footage, and I believe it was Bob Burns (Flash Gordon Tunic #2), which was used in the Superman Episode. The chainlink on the tunic sits lower to the edge of the black border, which is consistent with the other tunic that is owned by sci fi collector Bob Burns. Goes to show that these tunics were recycled. 

Troy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.